What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I spent the last week when not toying with spaceplanes or making Jeb giggle with some ridiculously dangerous build I was building a space station.

Today that station was completed, and then crewed, and then quickly evacuated (Well Bill and Bob anyway..)

The station as it turns out was haunted with the spirits of the hundreds of Kerbals who have died recently...

After another short break, I got back to KSP today and reworked a couple of my launch vehicles based on the adjusted aerodynamic model. Drogue chutes are very important now! I also seem to be getting an impression that launches go faster now, with my apoapsis breaking 70km before I know it, even if I start my gravity turn on the ground xD

Made a sightseeing tour with about 16 Kerbals in a Nerteas Spaceplane Mk IV parts containing airplane:

1wtvpIM.png

I really hope Nerteas work might end up in the Stock game... it fits so good.

Edited by Mikki

Several people have PM'd me about the Froglet lander (thanks!) so I thought I ought to put up a pic of the whole assembly on the launchpad:

lDwhDoZh.png

Because the Mk2 cabin is a lifting body it needs the big delta wings in the tail to keep the CoL behind the CoM as the fuel tank drains. For this reason it also launches 'sideways' so it flies like a plane with the 'w' and 's' keys for pitch control, which I find more natural than 'a' and 'd' when it starts to wobble. I use MechJeb for space maneuvering, but not for the atmospheric ascent, as I find it less crashy to do a gradual pitch over manually.

The ascent stages crash back on Kerbin and the transfer stage crashes on the Mun during deorbit, so no litter in space!

I've now had an idea for launching a version of it from a spaceplane in LKO, which should give 100% recovery.

Watch this space...

PS- Sorry about the shadowy pic. It looked a lot brighter in-game!

Edited by percyPrune

Had to rebuild my station in RSS today. First station was at a 400km orbit. The docking ports would randomly explode and split my station. I had to reload my quick save to get around it (2-3 times). Ten minutes later it does it again. So I let the Kraken take my station. ;.;

Started a new career (sandbox of course). Built my new station at a 1000km orbit. No issues after five docking procedures. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/uolVTo1.png

Very good looking! What mods are in there? I can see Near Future... Anything else? The glow on the lighs is image processing or is it any mod?

From doing the T-Prize - Tylo SSLTO Challenge I know it's just over 2300m/s, more like 2500m/s depending on how good you are at suicide burns.

Wow. Much reply, such joy.

Anyway thanks, my drop pod definitely doesn't have enough Delta-V for this. But it still works on every other planet/moon, so I guess I'll make a special version.

Four birds one rocket :)

b10DLJZ.jpg

Had a quartet of rescue missions, all in different places within 2km/s range of Kerbin. Nearest thing I've ever done to a shuttle launch in KSP :blush:

Each little Bluebird plane glides remarkably well a has 'just enough' control to get close enough to KSP to get a decent recovery value. Central hub can be gracefully deorbited and recovered, leaving just the Mainsail and fuel tank that gets discarded.

Non-stock engine and tiny airbrakes from SXT. Pointy parachutes from RealChutes.

After countless iterations and attempts, using every delta-v saving trick and design application, I present a continuation of my SSTO series where I go to the Mun and back (with other exploration and shenanigans once there) using an SSTO in version 1.0.4!!

TO maximise my delta-v during the assent out of Kerbin's atmosphere, I made use of what I like to call the 'RAPIERspike' engine. Consisting of a standard RAPIER engine with an inverted small nose cone on the back, although mass is increased, the drag experienced at high speeds is dramatically reduced - helping to assist the nukes into pushing into orbit with much less fuel that normal. Even still, however, I finished the mission with only 0.8% of my fuel remaining!!

Hope you enjoy! :)

After maxing out the science tree in my first career game very easy and having no real achievement with all the mods installed, I started a new hardcore career game. Having fun with RemoteTech and DMagic science.

DQrvY7w.png

Nbm6zO9.png

juhpwNu.png