What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I killed 51 Kerbals (or the same three 17 times, depending on how you do the casualty math :P) attempting to perfect my launch abort system. Stupid RealChutes wouldn't open fast enough, so the crew would escape from the doomed rocket, only to perish when their chutes failed to slow them down in time.

But, now the system is perfected and survivable every time, so the crew will make it out alive.

Got a contract to get an EVA report while next to the TMAs. Naturally TMA-1 is on the side of a mountain near KSC, so some lateral thinking was required.

Four planes died in this attempt, but somehow Jeb's cockpit always survived...

Oa6TunV.jpg

I've been bringing up more modules to Kerbin Orbital Station. Yesterday, the solar arrays, lab module, and a high-gain comm unit were delivered and installed. Before sending up anything else, I sent engineer Peggy Kerman on EVA to inspect the station.

VNHPw1q.png?1

Above: Peggy pauses to take in the sunrise before inspecting the docked Workerbot (which she's named "Hewey").

After that, it was time to install a second habitat module. While the lab expands the station's crew capacity to 7, habs are more comfortable for my Kerbals. The station can now house 11 Kerbals in an emergency, and 6-8 Kerbals comfortably.

gFqP3Pv.png?1

The nearly-complete Kerbin Orbital Station, with new habitat module, and a connector/docking station for future Mun and Minmus transfer craft.

7YyK7QF.png?1

Bill Kerman takes a picture of the station from inside the new habitat module.

Experiment pallets and radiator arrays are the final modules to deliver, and a science crew for the lab. Kerbin Orbital Station will soon be open for business!

Cool!

Quite a balancing act, what's keeping it up?

Today I tracked down an odd glitch that was causing a space-plane to explode on physical time warp, turned out to be the MK2 probe core behind the cockpit, I've no idea why but anyway fixed by using an octo in the cargo bay instead.

Tried to land a spaceplane on Duna... and finally made it after the 20th try or something. I also overshot the target by nearly 2 km, but I didn't break anything

I don't think I'll be using spaceplanes in Duna in following missions. Too much atmosphere to ignore it, to little to maneuver and brake

Very Impressive, Bosun. I think that justifies Hyperedit!

More boringly, I built my first practical Mk3 SSTO. Heavily inspired by Skylon:

OaWPFd0h.png

The all-Rapier powerplant is probably not the most efficient setup in stock aero but keeps true to the spirit of Skylon and I'm not a fan of the Mk3 cockpit. It reminds me of something the Baldwin loco works cooked up so I clipped the Mk2 into an adaptor which, as a bonus, carries fuel. Despite appearances, the crew hatch is still useable.

In the persuit of safety, I added a decoupler to create a crew escape capsule.

Pic of the innards before rotating into place. Probe core added during unkerballed test flights:

yS2Arwah.png

The parachutes clipped close to the decoupler got a bit explodey so they were relocated to the outside.

Ballistic re-entry is remarkably stable:

QcdgZE1h.png

The limit is currently 25t to orbit so not-quite-an-orange-tank but the cargo bay is just big enough to hold my 'Froglet Mk2' Minmus lander:

HJb9k6oh.png

The lander hasn't enough dV to rendezvous with the plane on return and comes home by conventional re-entry, incurring costs to have it recovered, so I am still chasing 100% return...

In order to foster a more permanent munar exploration presence I decided to use the Earth Orbit Rendezvous concept and assemble a munar transit station for 2 mini landers and 1 micro shuttle in LKO.

The whole shebang was constructed with Level 1 parts (meaning to say, I'm too el-cheapo to want to spend 900k on the research center upgrade...)

With my persistence save corrupted and a week-old backup in hand, I decided after carefully looking at my backup that I should forget about the notion of a full restore. I replaced the newly offered Large Gear Bay parts test with my previously existing (and accepted) Aerospike test contract, and started accepting new ones. Did have to manually edit out two previously existing tourists from the roster and there are one or two others I imagine I'll have to do that to after they return to Kerbin.

So: weekend's activities - the crew of Straight Flush planted flags on Minmus; they're on their way back with everybody except Bob, who is remaining behind at the Minmusport station to run the lab for now. I still have plans to bring him back in time for the upcoming flight into Kerbol's orbit. Meantime, two new rescue contracts have appeared for Minmus - and they're both Scientists. Meanwhile, a similar mission for the crew of Necessary Evil has taken place on Mun; Necessary Evil has returned to the New Horizons station over Kerbin at this point, with the science gathered having been transferred to a waiting Raven spaceplane along with the crew. I plan on landing those guys this evening, which should put the KSC staff aboard firmly in the two-star club. A new space station was launched for a contract over Kerbin over the weekend - the newly commissioned Kerbinport station is currently fully loaded with a group of tourists. Finally, I did attempt to launch a "new" space station to Mun in the form of a habitat module headed to Munport; alas that I forgot to attach an antenna, so I'm hoping I can send up a repair mission in the near future to fill out that contract. Maybe with Necessary Evil - there are a few of the new tourists who want to visit Mun.

That Vulture 7 I sent up to refuel Free Bird after its trip from Minmus? Landed it safely last night on the KSC Runway. Wasn't dead stick, but I'd definitely say the craft was in a state of "relaxed stability" at the time on account of it being almost completely out of fuel...30 units of LF going in and she tumbled out of control at 30,000; I was able to take her out of the dive at 9000 meters about 130 klicks from KSC (this in FAR with the possibility of structural failure, mind you). Had to fire up the engines so she'd clear the mountains but after that I didn't use the engine at all. Came right in - had five units of LF left and about 100 of monoprop, and that was it. Bounced a couple of times on the runway but otherwise the landing went smoothly. Took a screenie; going to have to share that one at some point.

Rest of the weekend was spent working on a previous design, the Condor 7. Finally got it back into orbit on "automatic" (read: probe core). Re-entry didn't go so well - curiously, the probe core itself overheated and exploded, despite it being securely nestled in a cargo bay. Lost control of the craft at that point, obviously - got to watch it go into the drink otherwise intact...

Launched a multi contract mission, to put a probe around Mun, and Recover Debzib and her Vessel from orbit of Mun. In an attempt to reuse my engine to propel probe w/ grabber attached to final contract, added probes to all parts that would undock except the fuel tank and engine, sat there for five minutes waiting on my game to bug out from me hitting the RCS button to activate, after i'd moved the probe out of the way, so the engine could move up to the recovery probe and grabber, so, F9ed back to before I undocked the equipment and went along with the rescue.

CFA1444C5233B33F6BAF51C486A660E0F7A2882C

4615AEAA4A029BB2B3CF68C94C1407D03B6AD037

D0BD4C1CC55F7BA9E5BAD3CE36EE5051E039DD70

2E3BB91E265E65D0CFC1D1A6E79EDE030476EAEB

7EF42AB59B2E6E62E7144857C797F3003E00F2AB

Got her and headed back, and undocked engine w/ docked probe meant for Mun. so to not waste it, will put it in Kerbin orbit. Shown below.

C6DA7A91FE3B364BC1B702ACB6A64DBF2FCB34CA

FF125BF0D9F7061F96217D176583594DC1076461

Yeah, this re-entry was a nail bitter.

FF125BF0D9F7061F96217D176583594DC1076461

40F64285AA4B458A3C41E4DD125E786357B25310

4F76505638C3560714D5ED4F4FB80CE0A08D4040