Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

I have an interesting story for you guys.

So i was returning from the second Dyonisis Shuttle launch when i realized i was too far out to make it to KSC. With only 10 units of fuel left in my rocket powered shuttle, i though i was going to have to crash land somewhere on Kerbin.

Then I saw KerbTown in the distance.

lHe7ZQ2.png

After a really long glide, and using all my remaining power, i just barely made it to the runway (I went from 8000m to 500 in the span of 100KM) and was able to land safely on the main runway.

gRPbt10.png

ujkIB1b.png

You guys are the best! :D Keep up the good work!

Hello fellow kerbonauts! I'm not much of a modeller or game dev for that matter, I hope I one day will be. I'm really excited for this project though, like where it is going, so many awsome additions :D! But I was thinking, maybe it would be cool to have a telescope observatory a on the edge of town. Maybe on a little hill with a road leading up to it a and a guardpost at the entrance.

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/telescopes/SARAnight.jpg

Hello fellow kerbonauts! I'm not much of a modeller or game dev for that matter, I hope I one day will be. I'm really excited for this project though, like where it is going, so many awsome additions :D! But I was thinking, maybe it would be cool to have a telescope observatory a on the edge of town. Maybe on a little hill with a road leading up to it a and a guardpost at the entrance.

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/telescopes/SARAnight.jpg

Quite a good idea, if I say so myself, but it'd have to be at least 20km away due to the haze of the city at night.

EDIT: at least 20km

Edited by Bartybum

A radio telescope has to be even further away from cities due to the electronic psignals eminating from a city.

I was wondering that - how far is Jodrell Bank from the nearest city (Manchester I think)?

I haven't had a good look at Kerbin since the new terrain arrived - are there any high plateaus near the equator? To avoid issues with terrain detail, the observatory would need its own surrounding terrain, and a mountain road.

P.S. perhaps this observatory idea deserves its own thread?

Here's a topographical map, thought I don't see any high plateau's near Kerbin City. However, eventhough it may seem logical to place it somwhere outside the city, which I'm agree with. You should also be able to take some creative freedom.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/1/1a/Kerbin_ISA_Topo_0_21.jpg

Here's a topographical map, thought I don't see any high plateau's near Kerbin City. However, eventhough it may seem logical to place it somwhere outside the city, which I'm agree with. You should also be able to take some creative freedom.

My site visit showed the only tall peaks were to the south of the city site. I reckon airstrip island is a great place for an observatory. There is going to be one in the base game eventually.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/1/1a/Kerbin_ISA_Topo_0_21.jpg

or this:

http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

turn on the "slope" layer, the more blue the flatter

A radio telescope has to be even further away from cities due to the electronic signals eminating from a city.

This is not strictly true. It depends on the frequency you are trying to observe in. The greater the difference in frequencies, the less signal noise. Plus, it IS acceptable to impose government-mandated "quiet" zones where certain bands are completely prohibited. Given that Kerbals seem to be totally invested in space exploration, I could see them going along with that.

Hey nothke or anyone, since im doing harbor/port stuff it would be good if i could get some dimensions as this model is making me unsure.(Also, i have only had 2hours sleep when i typed this message so could not formulate it better)

srecngj.png

Hi,

I would like to apply to make models for the city.

I'm very familiar with modeling (also for games\low poly), I use blender because that's what I started with and so I'm most comfortable with it, but I also have access to Maya\3DS Max\Sketchup. I'm familiar with texturing, I use photoshop\illustrator.

As for ideas for what I could contribute: Football\Soccer Stadium, Baseball diamond (I like the idea of an Angels stadium type letter that you can fly through), a school, a monument such as the Belgian Atomuim would be fun to fly through, a factory with high chimneys.

I'm not really sure what else to put here, just contact me if you want examples of stuff I did.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone with the skills in here could write a tutorial on how to make a simple building for ksp? Im currently self learning 3d modeling but the trouble im having is getting it into KSP... cant seem to get collision detection :(

OIYFAUD.png

if anyone fancies taking up the task I would greatly appreciate (and im sure others would too :D)

There are some absolutely wonderful things in this thread. It inspired me to try contributing something. I've played around with Blender in the past, but this is my first time modeling anything of substance. Here's the story...

I was looking at the Kerbin City site and I noticed that where the bay opens to the sea, there appears to be a hazard to navigation!

VYULfvl.png

Hey! I can see Kerbin City from here!

doghhn6.png

The lonely keeper at his vigil...

WhDaU0D.jpg

The dangerous point at the entrance to Kerbin City bay...

5DoVfJ9.jpg

Flyby on approach to KC International

es91AlH.jpg

I based my lighthouse on the Perry Memorial http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/special/coles/Perry.jpg with my own interpretation. The stripes help it to stand out. I need to shrink the door down (human, not Kerbal sized!) and probably lower the height of the observation deck along with it. I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt.

Please let me know what you think! Constructive criticism is welcome as this is my first try.

For those talking about telescopes, I'm planning on building one in the mountains southeast of Kerbin City, about the same distance to my lighthouse (20km or so).

I think it would be neat to add a "KCSights" package to Kerbal City including lots of things around the city. I saw someone talking about a windmill farm. Very cool in the water or north of the city.

Thanks so much for this mod! I look forward to other's creations.