Space Stations in 0.22

Reddragon

Scince the first video of patch 0.22 I was courious about the possibilities of useful roles of space stations with science units to collect data in LKO or even Mun orbit. I still don't know how long they could provide us science in high numbers but I think if a lab in space can send back data to KSC over time it can simulate the point of a space station quite well. Do you also have a plan to have your 'Skylab' in carreer mode as soon as possible?

Oooh.....Perhaps have a somewhat large part (like a lab) that takes a bunch of power, but continuously provides science no matter how long it has been running.

Maybe make it so that it produces more science either the farther from KSC it is, or maybe the vessel it is on has to be in orbit or something to keep them from being spammed around KSC, but I think it could work.

There is another question quite bother me. Will a space station with science parts keep generating science point or it will cease to generate once the expriment is done and then we need to dock another science element on it?

I would definitely like to see a 2.5m science lab. I'm unsure how it would work really. Maybe it would allow you to get the full data value of other science docked to it. The idea being they have the science equipment to fully analyze the data then transmit their results back to Kerbin.

I would definitely like to see a 2.5m science lab. I'm unsure how it would work really. Maybe it would allow you to get the full data value of other science docked to it. The idea being they have the science equipment to fully analyze the data then transmit their results back to Kerbin.

What if each Kerbal has a "lab science" value it can produce? If the Kerbal is in a lab that is in orbit and has enough power to function, science will be generated over a long time, slowly depleting that (or those) Kerbal's "lab science" value. Then once the Kerbal is out of science swap them out with another and return the spent one to KSC for a reset of their science potential. That would provide incentive for stations, and having a crew transfer vehicle.

Edited by SteevyT

I don't know if data could be returned we'll see about that after release but it is sure that it also can transfer the data. Science points will decrease scince it was mentioned that gathering in or over the same biome of a planet or area of SOI of a planet makes the collected data less valuable (as far as I remember good). But of course it still can't do research if you are on another mission tough i guess if science points doesn't decrease that much it's one easy way to do science in LKO with a crew on it for a long time. Anothe thing is when money kicks in carreer mode it will probably be the most cost effective way of researching because you only need a smaller ship to ferry crew to the station instead of doing more expensive Mun missions too early in the carreer.

I was thinking that the station lab would be a later game part. Probably big, expensive, and heavy too, along with somewhat high power requirements and a somewhat constant crew rotation (can't be too constant otherwise it would get tedious though)

Keep in mind that, according to the devs, while science is the currency for buying new parts, the whole purpose of career mode is to slowly introduce new parts so as not to overwhelm new players. You start with very basic parts and learn to use them. Then you add a few more parts. Rinse & repeat. Once you've unlocked all the parts, it's essentially the same as sandbox mode.

Keep in mind that, according to the devs, while science is the currency for buying new parts, the whole purpose of career mode is to slowly introduce new parts so as not to overwhelm new players. You start with very basic parts and learn to use them. Then you add a few more parts. Rinse & repeat. Once you've unlocked all the parts, it's essentially the same as sandbox mode.

Though that is true, I still want to try and find all of the flavor text on Kerbin and Mun. Also, I'll be farming science points, thank you very much!

While I'll definately try career mode when 0.22 comes out I think I'll not give up on my current save (if the new version is not save-breaking), in which I have a station already orbiting Kerbing and Mun. Luckily I've built them so that I can further expand them, so I have space to add some science parts even in sandbox. That will definately be a priority for me.

Regarding the "refreshing" of a lab: Why not let a big and energy hungry station part have a new resource (lab stuff)?

Provided with enough energy this space lab part would deplete the lab stuff and turn it into science - slow but steady, without the need to be in any interesting location, studying the effects of zero-g on chocolate and other important questions.

Should the lab be in an interesting location it could be used for field studies, creating more science but using up more energy and running out of lab stuff faster.

A second part - a lab stuff container ("tank") - could be used to fly up a resupply mission.

This second part could double as a return container for science/samples to be shipped back to KSC for bonus points (or something like that, depending on if there is a difference in sending back data from a probe or returning the samples physically).

I think a good method to handle space stations would be to generate so much science, with decreasing results as time passes, with a return to the original level of output when you rotate the crew.

Since there is no life support planned for the game this would provide a good reason to return Kerbals home and send up fresh recruits on a regular basis without disastrous consequences for not doing so.

Edited by dazhat
quoted wrong post

Though that is true, I still want to try and find all of the flavor text on Kerbin and Mun. Also, I'll be farming science points, thank you very much!

Absolutely. 'Cause there is no wrong way to play. As far as I'm concerned, science will give a much needed context to the game. What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the integrated sub assemblies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.