[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Dropbox is dead (error 500), can you upload mod somewhere else?

UPD: Was able to download it in incognito mode, looks like only logged in users can't download files from Dropbox.

Edited by Razunter

Hi guys, I'm wondering if perhaps you could clear up something for me. I'm trying to re-enter a mk1 capsule (with the built-in heatshield) in Real Solar System from orbit (So just under 8km/s). I haven't modified any heating setting (left it as is) and am attempting a shallow entry trajectory (PE of about 75km). What I'm observing is that the shield gradually heats up until about 1400 degrees and slowly starts ablating. However the pod behind it heats up by the same amount and explodes around 1500-1600 degrees (as it should when it gets that hot). It's the built-in heatshield so it can't be upside down (right?) and I've no idea what's going on.

The RSS thread and the DREC threads both mention using 'RSS class heatshields', but the realism overhaul thread mentions 'Deadly Reentry v4.2+ (for the heatshields)', so I've assumed that from v4.2 and up the DREC heatshields can be used with RSS.

Am I missing something somewhere? Any help would be much appreciated

That means "you need Deadly Reentry v4.2 or you won't have the base heatshields that RO changes". Even if you don't plan to use RO, you need the DRE_ShieldsFix.cfg from RO.

Also, if I'm reading your post right, you should take note that the Mk1 capsule has a built in heatshield (hence the black and heatshieldy bottom, and the "Heatshield" module listed when you get rightclick info in the partlist). You don't need to add an extra one.

Ah, sorry, from the way you phrased it (the heatshield at one temperature, the pod at another and "behind it") I thought you had a separate shield.

Yep, RO is basically just a set of CFG edits and cfg-based "new" parts. It depends on other mods already being installed but doesn't include its own.

You're most welcome! :)

Haha I can see how that's confusing. I was clicking the bottom and the center of the pod alternatingly and convincing myself there was a difference. Then I realized it's all one part and I went D'OH.

I still can't get the pod to survive re-entry however. What I've got installed is:

-Real Solar System

-Deadly Reentry v4.3

-FAR

-KSP Interstellar

And now I've got RO, which I put in its own folder, but with only the 'DRE_ShieldsFix.cfg' inside.

What I've done in game with this configuration is re-enter a Mk1 Pod with a parachute from a 150km orbit (~7.3km/s). I've put the PE at several different altitudes (80km, 60km, 40km, 20km and at ground level). The same happens every time; the temperature rises until ~1350 degrees at which point the shield slowly ablates, then a little later the temperature drops sharply and immediately after the capsule explodes. Could be coincidence but it always happens at 6.6G.

Can this capsule re-enter from such an orbit in RSS? If so how? If someone can help me with this I'd be much obliged :)

DRE_ShieldsFix only affects the heat shield parts, not the heat shields built into certain pods. So you're still effectively using the stock-balanced heat shield. You want the Pods_Squad.cfg that will actually change the Mk1 Pod's heat shield.

Keep in mind that if you're not using the part rescaling aspect of RO your pods won't make as much drag as they should and will have a much narrower reentry corridor.

Uh...weird. I've never had trouble. I will try a 150km orbit with I think a 60km perigee (that's what I usually shoot for, if not 40, when that low) and report back.

AH! Yup, Ferram nailed it, I just advised you wrong. :(

If you don't want the rescale, comment out the rescaleFactor lines in Pods_Squad.cfg.

Regarding overheating; running into the same issues with the B9 SABREs. 80 kM apoapsis. Start a burn at 78 kM (engines were close to overheating on ascent; but nominal; no damage sounds or flames). Engines show immediate full heat bars. Stop burn, shutdown engines, re-activate engines. Attempt to restart burn; engines never cooled down and proceed to explode in spectacular fashion. EDIT: Temperatures never exceeded 800 degrees Celcius on the engines.

Tried out some SSTO designs today.

The RAPIER engines keeps exploding.

Searched through this topic. Found the part about the need for cutting heat-production in half.

Applied it, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Observations about this problem:

- Engines explode around 800-1000m/s at 15km.

- Log says they exceeded g-force tolerance.

- Engines only explode in AirBreathing mode.

- Overheating bar only half-full before engines explode.

Did some testing and had the following occur.

- Orbitted an SSTO with RAPIER engine by flying it there (and switching to ClosedCycle earlier to prevent engines blowing off).

- Burnt up ALL remaining oxidizer in orbit, but left some LF.

- Deorbitted.

- Throttle up engines in Closed Cycle to 10% of maxThrust.

- Switch from ClosedCycle to AirBreathing at 60km, i.e. before reentry heating.

- Engines explode immediately upon switching.

They couldn't have overheated from reentry heat (1900m/s at 60km shouldn't even reach 0C)

They couldn't have blown off (60km altitude is almost neglible drag).

They couldn't have overheated from Engine Heat, they had no time to overheat.

Am I missing something?

@Nathan; sorry for the late reply. Using your latest revision of Real Fuels (4.2 IIRC; either way I grabbed the latest engine configs last night, and the whole pack a couple days ago); this (4.3), and KSPI 0.9.2 (which changes the SABRE precoolers' functionality to actually function as precoolers). I have a truckload of other mods but those three are the only ones that actually modify B9 parts.

Did some more testing. (mainly working on a perfectly handling SSTO for crew return missions from a station) I halved heat production (or possibly quartered? I can't remember if I already halved the DRE heating on the SABREs prior to today's change) to 117.5 in atmosphere and 137.5 in vacuum. Engines are still exploding (nearly) instantaneously as soon as throttle is applied (part immediately goes from 0 degrees Celsius to 1800+, damage effects and explosion at 1-2% throttle application). It's almost like the heat scale isn't being reduced even though the display changes.

I can upload the craft file to dropbox if you want/need to take a look. The craft itself only uses parts from B9 and Procedural wings. (I can strip the AIES RTGs and LLL batteries from it. 4 parts total).

EDIT: @ kalizec I don't believe you are; I'm running into the same issues with the B9 SABREs (RAPIERs did the same when I last unlocked them [started a new career]).

EDIT 2: I should specify the overheating occurs at altitude; approx 25-27 km. Switching between air breathing and rocket makes no difference.

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

Hi peeps! Ive watched this mod on and off for awhile, and have always been interested in its possibilities. Now my question is what should I know before installing? Ive read a little bit of the thread but Im still not sure where to start. Is there a guide somewhere? :) Sorry for the lame question.

I'm using FAR and DRE (and bunch of other mods, mostly parts).

There is a problem with fairing that, I believe, was reported earlier: when using procedural fairings (earlier it was reported about KW Rocketry fairings) things inside them heat up about the same as the fairings themselves. Shouldn't it be a little colder inside those fairings?

How to reproduce: put a command pod inside of fairings, strap a whole bunch of SRBs and launch. When fairings will start to glow, check temperature of parts inside them.

to test if it's the same, do it with fairings, then without them. Check the temperatures at the same altitude and velocity. The temperature of the pod shouldn't be the same in both experiments.

Looks like part protection by other part, If you understand what I mean, have some maximum distance( Big shield with very long stick behind, and some parts attached to stick - only parts close to shield will be shielded) Is this true or it work differently?