[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

14 hours ago, NathanKell said:
  • Removed RSSKopernicus.cfg; Separated & organized body cfgs one body per cfg and added RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg that holds remaining global values.

My new installation still includes the RSSKopernicus.cfg file, along with the new .cfg files.  Should RSSKopernicus.cfg be deleted?

I just wanted to confirm the bug with the Tracking Station and R&D Centre being cut off by terrain, specifically at Wallops. I can get into R&D if I'm lucky, but getting into the Tracking Station is pretty much impossible from this screen:

8fBPToi.png

I have all of my graphics settings on the highest (except for anti-aliasing). I should also note that I'm running Aggressive Texture Management (necessary if I want to run even pruned FASA and US Probes), but I don't see how that would affect terrain detailing.

8 hours ago, Hermocrates said:

I just wanted to confirm the bug with the Tracking Station and R&D Centre being cut off by terrain, specifically at Wallops. I can get into R&D if I'm lucky, but getting into the Tracking Station is pretty much impossible from this screen:

I have all of my graphics settings on the highest (except for anti-aliasing). I should also note that I'm running Aggressive Texture Management (necessary if I want to run even pruned FASA and US Probes), but I don't see how that would affect terrain detailing.

very odd, is it there all the time? or does entering & exiting scenes reset it?

On 16/3/2016 at 2:04 PM, Hermocrates said:

I just wanted to confirm the bug with the Tracking Station and R&D Centre being cut off by terrain, specifically at Wallops.

This is a known issue, NathanKell has repeatedly asked for help from the community to correct these. Apparently it is relatively easy but each one needs to be fixed individually, only I can't find the post explaining how to help out and fix the each launch site.

Hi all,

Anyone else getting this dodgy bug in map-view, tracking station & main menu?  Seems to only be certain planets too, Venus & some others are fine.

Just downloaded the latest update & texture pack (8k) - Fresh ksp install, 64bit on mac, checked it in 32 aswell. Previous version worked fine. 

Spoiler

GmB1aoo.png?1

Tracking Station

itMREYg.png?1

Menu screen

r2f0dMj.png?1

Pluto.. Charon..

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9he806l2stihml/KSP.log?dl=0

Cheers

Edited by sjsninetrys
to hide images

1 hour ago, sjsninetrys said:

Hi all,

Anyone else getting this dodgy bug in map-view, tracking station & main menu?  Seems to only be certain planets too, Venus & some others are fine.

Just downloaded the latest update & texture pack (8k) - Fresh ksp install, 64bit on mac, checked it in 32 aswell. Previous version worked fine. 

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9he806l2stihml/KSP.log?dl=0

Cheers

very odd, been trying for last 30 mins to get this to happen and cant seem to get it to occur. I did notice some slight differences from my logs to yours. was this a manual install? did you remove the old folders before updating?

18 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

very odd, been trying for last 30 mins to get this to happen and cant seem to get it to occur. I did notice some slight differences from my logs to yours. was this a manual install? did you remove the old folders before updating?

Hi, Cheers for checking this out.

Yeh its a manual install, I have Ckan but every time I try to download the 8k texture pack through Ckan the download stalls.

I used a fresh unadulterated download of KSP, and only RSS and the texture pack to check, no joy though. :confused:

Ill try with a lower res texture pack, see if that changes anything..

OK - So the 4k Textures work fine no problem..

Edited by sjsninetrys

19 hours ago, sjsninetrys said:

Hi, Cheers for checking this out.

Yeh its a manual install, I have Ckan but every time I try to download the 8k texture pack through Ckan the download stalls.

I used a fresh unadulterated download of KSP, and only RSS and the texture pack to check, no joy though. :confused:

Ill try with a lower res texture pack, see if that changes anything..

OK - So the 4k Textures work fine no problem..

That is strange. I honestly have no clue what could eb the issue there. Could i ask where you're KSP folder is located? I know that sometimes have the folder in your ProgramFiles folder can cause weird behaviours, but at this point in really just clasping at straws lol. At least the 4K works for you ;)

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

That is strange. I honestly have no clue what could eb the issue there. Could i ask where you're KSP folder is located? I know that sometimes have the folder in your ProgramFiles folder can cause weird behaviours, but at this point in really just clasping at straws lol. At least the 4K works for you ;)

Ahh, I should mention again that Im running KSP on Mac OSX (64 bit, 8gb), I did try moving the folder, no joy though. I'm starting to think maybe that it's somthing to do with my system, perhaps my graphics card or something because I see a similar banded-effect when I try to install the large cloud textures for the RVE mod.. 

Anyway if no-one else is seeing this its more likely something to do with my end right? I might try installing on a PC later to confirm :)

Anyway, Thanks for your great work on this mod, and for looking into the issue for me, cheers!

4 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@sjsninetrys please read the OP next time. It specifically states that 8k doesn't work on Mac.

Hi Nathan,

I have read the OP, I think I mentioned that I had the 8K textures working fine in all previous versions of RSS. You should know It's very stable on Mac since the 64 bit work around :)

Cheers

@sjsninetrys OSX has GPU/API issues with 8k textures last I heard. That it worked on your setup that long means you were very, very lucky. Unless there has been some massive change in both Unity and OSX, to the best of my knowledge there are still considerable issues. Further, those x64 hacks have questionable internal stability. That's why they are hacks and not, like, released versions. So that too might be having an influence; I just don't know.

4 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@sjsninetrys OSX has GPU/API issues with 8k textures last I heard. That it worked on your setup that long means you were very, very lucky. Unless there has been some massive change in both Unity and OSX, to the best of my knowledge there are still considerable issues. Further, those x64 hacks have questionable internal stability. That's why they are hacks and not, like, released versions. So that too might be having an influence; I just don't know.

Ahh, I see thats good to know, I was assuming that Mac was considered "impossible" just because of the 32 bit obstacle (bring on 1.1!)

As for the work-around I can vouch that its very stable up until now, as far as I've heard its much more stable than the windows workaround. (This is the first bug I've encountered in 7 months of playing it), but I think your probably right it will have something to do with it.

I can confirm that V10.2 8K textures are working fine with the latest RSS release:

Spoiler

G5z2t7X.png

9DNxd0M.png

Cheers

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

You could try loading them in Photoshop and resaving them with nvidia's DDS Tools; all the prior textures were created that way/ No idea if that's related.

This actually worked, thanks a lot man. If anyone else has this issue, the actual steps I took was:

1. Install the PS DDS plugin for Mac, found here.

2. Open both the "Earth_NRM.dds" and the "EarthColor.dds" with photoshop.

3. Save as, Replace original, & with the settings: < Format: DXT5, Check "Mipmap", Filter: Mitchell > 

The "Mipmap" option wasn't checked originally and simply re-saving didn't make a difference, when I tried checking it it seemed to do the trick. - I must say that I don't have a clue what I'm doing here and I've yet to fully test it out in game, but it does seem to be working fine now. 

Spoiler

TdnrRXH.png

LEf18Mr.png

y0KriLb.png

i have installed rss, and now is KSC under ground

science facility not visible, from observatory i see only antenas, ...

in sandbox is not problem, but in carrer is no acces to some facilities :(

Hey Guys i got a Problem.

In my version of RSS the light conditions are so bad that the grasslands around the KSC are just dark. I know that the earth in RSS is way higher then Kerbin in the original version and I expected that the light would be a bit darker but not like this. I watched some videos where RSS was used and everything looks quite sunny.

So anybody knows a patch or sth. like this ?:rolleyes:

I'm driving KSP on a mac 10.11

Hi, it's been a year since I've been here, but I finally got a new computer and can actually run KSP properly sooo. I find this game a thousand times more interesting with the real solar system, so here I am. I also find other mods like Remote Tech nearly essential. The last time I was here, I pointed out in the RO thread that, with root mode on, the max range that you could communicate between the two best dishes in Remote Tech was only 800 million km, which is insufficient for contacting most of the outer planets, even at optimal times in their orbits, even with a relay station around Jupiter. At the time, there was no decided on solution for this.

Now, I was just looking through the RSS remote tech settings, as I was sort of considering removing some ground station antennae because it just is a bit too cluttered for me on the mission control map, with all the dots. Well, I noticed as I did so the varying ranges of the antennae, and that the three Deep Space Network dishes have a range of 1.14x10^14 meters, some 114 billion kilometers. And they're omni antennae. And the three of them are positioned around the Earth such that any mission further than 30,000 km from the Earth will be in view of at least one of them.

I may be missing something, but I mean... what? Okay, so while it surely is realistic that just using dish antennae on Earth itself you can contact spacecraft anywhere in the solar system (which 114 billion kilometers more than covers), doesn't that kind of defeat most of the purpose of Remote Tech? Relay networks just lost a ton of usefulness/requiredness. Having powerful relays on Earth is realistic, but you don't have to do any work to get them, like you do to get a space relay network.

What's the idea behind this? Maybe I'm just missing something.

EDIT: On another note, I've tried a couple different launch stations as supplied in RSS now. Florida and California are fine, but the one in French Guyana had several buildings under the terrain. Most importantly, the tracking station was underground, so I had no way to open it and select a different launch site. I had to exit the game, go into RSS settings, and change the latitude and longitude of the site and hope I chose one that was better located. I then changed to one of the Japanese launch sites, and I've got the same problem. Is there some solution to this? Or maybe just a way to open the tracking station without being able to click on it? Halp.

Edited by mr_trousers

This comes up every week or so. So I edited the OP. Comic Sans pain will be fixed when people fix the sites.

On 10/25/2013 at 8:56 PM, NathanKell said:

YES, SOME LAUNCH SITES ARE BELOW GROUND. THEY WILL BE FIXED WHEN PEOPLE VOLUNTEER TO FIX THEM.

@mr_trousers: Yes, it is entirely intentional that the DSN is there, along with the other ground stations. Due to how the range model works (see the RP-0 FAQ), you will need a fair-sized dish depending on how far out you go. If you don't like that, you're free to remove the config or edit it to taste.