[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Theres a bunch of links around the thread, but yeah anyway, here: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/blob/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin/KerbalJointReinforcement.dll just click raw to download it.

A few pages back, someone else reported some issues with KJR and hyperedit, don't know if the Jan 17th dll fixed it, but even if it doesn't, it still fixes some issues with docking.

that someone was me who reported the kjr and hyperedit bug ;-)

Dear Ferram or actually anyone who knows the solution. I'm looking for the way to totally eliminate the wobbling from ksp. Just to disable that feature. Yea, I know this is a cheat. But I'm playin pretty long time and now I'm trying to build some massive spaceships/stations without making them realistic. Using b9 HX modules they are about 50k tons. No way KJR or struts or any stiffling stuff can help here. The only reasonable solution is to completely get rid of that KSP feature. Can anyone help here?

Yes, they are a bit buggy, yet the problem remains the same for all complicated heavy crafts, even stock ones. Disabling wobbling would reveal new boundaries in craft designing.

Could you post a pic of your craft? Maybe someone can help you out there.

UPDATE: Never mind, I reproduced it without KJR loaded (same tracebacks in Player.log). Must be something else. Sorry for the false alarm.

Original:

For manual docking practice, I've been doing some low-kerbin-orbit debris cleanup with a Klaw-fronted ship - rendezvous with debris, grab it, burn retrograde to put it into an orbit that will reenter, and then release it, burn prograde, and move on to the next piece.

With the dev build of KerbalJointReinforcement.dll I'm seeing odd behavior -- attempts to switch away from the salvage ship after releasing debris and moving away - either to another ship or to the space center - fail. I can't cleanly quit the game as a result.

Attempt to switch away appears to result in stack traces in the Unity Player.log like this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PatchedConicRenderer.OnSceneSwitch (GameScenes scn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PauseMenu.saveAndExit (GameScenes sceneToLoad, .Game stateToSave) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PauseMenu.draw (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single h\
eight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

and this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PatchedConicRenderer.OnSceneSwitch (GameScenes scn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AltimeterSliderButtons.returnToSpaceCenter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScreenSafeUIButton.OnMouseUp (Boolean rightClick) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScreenSafeUIButton.OnMouseUp () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SSUICamera.DoMouseEvents () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SSUICamera.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I'm not 100% certain that it's KJR; I haven't been able to reproduce it without KJR yet but I'm going to keep at it for a while longer just to be sure.

If there's any additional data I can collect that would be useful, let me know.

Edited by billkerbinsky
reproduced w/o KJR

Guest Darth Gerbil

There is still a problem with undocking from other vessels, when you undock vessels they become separate vessels but the docking ports still hold them together. When time-warping away, the vessels drift apart, but if they are still in physics range, they get pulled back together. I'm no programer but it could be a problem with the physics load the vessel experiences when it is loaded. (Using Version 3.1.1.)

There is still a problem with undocking from other vessels, when you undock vessels they become separate vessels but the docking ports still hold them together. When time-warping away, the vessels drift apart, but if they are still in physics range, they get pulled back together. I'm no programer but it could be a problem with the physics load the vessel experiences when it is loaded. (Using Version 3.1.1.)

Try the Jan 17th DLL (after installing 3.1.1, overwrite the DLL with the new one from Github).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php?p=1675507#post1675507

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-90-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v3-1-1-1-15-15?p=1715687&viewfull=1#post1715687

You can literally just go tank->engine->decoupler->tank. There is no reason that you should have to add extra struts between connected engines when the interstage fairing and structure is right there, purely intended to support the stage above it.

You can go into the config.xml and universally weaken all connections to add more difficulty if you like; details in the readme.

Hi Ferram,

Where can I find This "readme"? I got the downloaded content but there wasn't presented.

I do love it. It is a must have mod. With this all the rockets and the spaceplanes hold toghether even with FAR :D :D :D

But I'd like to make stiffer connections on the infernal robotics parts. All my forklifts, and cranes are dissassembling near the robotic parts's joints when try to move MKS parts on the mun. Basicly just a center hub and that neat base with legs on it and 4 expando tube and on top of that a sr Docking port.

I don't think that is tooo much to lift, rotate, move, and place down.

I tried KAS's winches too for it. On an extending/tilting crane from B9's HX parts for the cranebase and emptied jumbo tank as the arms of the crane. Althoug these are really huge parts, they just broke off when I try to lift those "small" 7-15t MKS base fragments.

And for example: "<float name="breakForceMultiplier">1</float>" should be lesser or higher value in order to make the parts be more "solid" and less breakeble. (If this parameter is there for that :) )

So some info needed here.

Thank you.

For days I've been thinking that my inability to undock two vessels was a bug with Procedural Parts, because I only ever saw the bug on a vessel that included at least one procedural fuel tank. Vessels without PP always undocked perfectly normally. So it simply didn't occur to me to look at this thread; I thought it was obvious where the problem was.

Now I'm reading that lots of people have been experiencing the undocking bug, and there's been a fix available all this time. Ha!

Why would I only see this bug when using Procedural Parts and this mod together?

Edit: I had to go back a lot of pages to find the first mention of the bug in the current release, nearly two months ago. May I suggest that corrected version actually be released? Seems like it would save a lot of trouble.

Edited by White Owl

For days I've been thinking that my inability to undock two vessels was a bug with Procedural Parts, because I only ever saw the bug on a vessel that included at least one procedural fuel tank. Vessels without PP always undocked perfectly normally. So it simply didn't occur to me to look at this thread; I thought it was obvious where the problem was.

Now I'm reading that lots of people have been experiencing the undocking bug, and there's been a fix available all this time. Ha!

Why would I only see this bug when using Procedural Parts and this mod together?

Edit: I had to go back a lot of pages to find the first mention of the bug in the current release, nearly two months ago. May I suggest that corrected version actually be released? Seems like it would save a lot of trouble.

WHere is this fix? I also need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why i'm getting this error when i blow up debris?

output_log.txt

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Vessel,System.Int32].get_Item (.Vessel key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by The Space Man

Hi

Just to inform anyone: THE 17. JANUARY Update of the DLL did NOT solve the issue comepletly! I got stuck on my station but i already got the 17. Jan dll fix! So please be careful when using!

Are there any other joint reinforce mods that work 100 % ?

Thanks

It hasn't been released because there are still performance issues with my attempts to deal with some of the nastier physics instabilities (which aren't completely fixed anyway) that I haven't been able to resolve yet. It is not released because it is not ready for release, and complaining does not make development move faster.

Now, on to specific messages:

@Ricardo79: The readme is included in the zip file. If it is not included in the zip file then you downloaded it from somewhere else and it is not the version of KJR that I have released.

@The White Owl: It simply isn't ready for release yet. That's why it hasn't been released.

@Dermeister: On the github repo. It is a dev build, and has issues, which is why it isn't released yet.

@smjjames: As noted, it is not ready for release. Plenty of people have complained about issues that come from me rushing releases. Now you get slower releases while I check everything.

@The Space Man: No idea, errors without reproduction steps are basically useless. Please describe how you were able to cause the issue; if you cannot, I cannot even hope to fix it.

@ManuxKerb: If it did not fix the issue, then I need a copy of your output_log.txt and a complete list of reproduction steps, making no assumptions whatsoever. If it requires an already-existing space station when you install KJR, I need to know that. If it needs a specific vessel design, I need to know that. I don't follow the threads as often as I used to do to the fact that bug reports have changed from being useful, with reproduction steps and info to nothing more than complaints about issues and demands that I fix them immediately without regard for anything else; there simply isn't much reason for me to pay attention much here compared to when the mods were first released.

The issue is that nothing was said. The dev version apparently works, it has no issues that affect me that I can tell. Since nothing is said about what is going on then, the non release is left to my imagination. That is a bad thing. Because people in general have dark imaginations. No one upon hearing a noise out their window thinks "That must be Ed mcMann out to give me the million dollar prize." Nope, it will be assumed a burglar, or a racoon out to wreck the garbage or something else bad.

I understand that even now after you have said something, some idiot will come and post tomorrow that you should release the next version already. I have seen it a dozen times and I don't doubt it will happen.

But not all of us are idiots. I see your message and I understand your message and it makes it easier to wait. I will not be bugging you to release and I suspect I will not be the only one.

Your mods rock and I appreciate them greatly! You will release your mods when you feel ready for release and you don't owe us anything. I understand this.

Perhaps I am just being long winded but the point to all of this is that a little communication can go a long way, leaving things to peoples imaginations is always bad unless your purpose is to raise tension. Don't sweat the idiots, they don't go away, trust me I used to do tech support I know.

My two cents.

Finally I would like to say I am not much of a writer so I hope this doesn't come off as anything but useful and encouraging.

Hi Ferram,

Thanks for taking time to answer! Here is my save file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04063120361666111169 Ship is docked on station and cant be undocked. Here is the output file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=39008330458492930068

Also when i tried to decouple the space station begann to "run" down from top to bottom and all the stages on the left side got emptyed out. Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/t2a72wsdn/

A thing that i noticed was, that in the docking port, there was no option "Undock" only Decouple. This did not happen the first 4 times! When i clicked that the described things happend.

Just load the save file, and ry to undock/decouple the ship at the nearest port from the ship, go to the tracking center and go to the station, load it, try to undock. I undocked 4 times before that with no issue so i just clicked decouple as undock was not present anymore it did not work.

Untill now there are no config changes made and the 17 Jan ddl is present!

My second attempt was to set to <bool name="reinforceDecouplersFurther">1</bool> to 0 in the hope this would solve it. So i changed the config, restarted the game but nothing different happend. So to be clear: in both tries the same happend and i could not undock.

I started to build the station with KJR installed, when the undock bug happend i removed it briefly to try to resolve it this way but i could not launche a rocket into orbit (bad design i guess) so i could not verfy if it works without KJR (old ship was already terminated :-(). Then I reinstalled it with the 17. Jan DLL and build the bigger ship.

Also another strange thing happens, maybe it has nothing to do with it, after my attempt to undock i terminated the ship and build a bigger one for more payload, so untin _now_ i did not come close again to my station to, perform another docking sequence, however, now i can't select a port as a target port, only "rename" is displayed. No any other opptions. Could that be related, maybe because i briefly removed KJR ? Here is the ouptput log from the "no target" issue: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=56694113708523484668

Also when i go to the station all the options are displayed, also if i go to the vessel, it seems only the interaction of thoese two is not possible anymore. Also i did not try to dock by hand im terrible at this. So i dont know if you could dock.... Any idea how to solve this ?

Hope that helps. If you need more information dont hesitate to ask.

@Blowfish,

First off: I found a working save file, its above -)

No i did switch to the tracking center multiple times and to other vessel it did not work :-(

Edited by ManuxKerb
more info

ManuxKerb: If you can't load the save file then how can ferram? Also back when I had the undocking bug, it was almost always fixed by reloading the craft (either switching to a distant craft and back or from the tracking center) - did that not work in your case?

Ferram: Thank you.

I download it right away from this forum.

My problem turned out was FAR's structural failures was turned on.

I got rid of that since no more wing deconstruction occured.

That hotfix thing was resolved the docking port issues instantly.

So keep up the good work. As Leszek said these mods are rocks. they are vital for all of us.

As for the release and programming issue: I am not a C++/C# programmer but I am a programmer so logical error detecting is in my vein.

If you describe the difficulties/problems you experience, maybe I or mostly WE could help give you our ideas, therefor it may be possible to help you and us too.

@ManuxKerb: To be honest, based on what you have described this is not a KJR issue. KJR only affects the joints, it does not affect any of the UI related to the docking ports, which indicates that something else is likely involved. It is possible this is one of the stock bugs with docking ports (there are a few) or that it is caused by another mod.

If the space station "running down" is simply the camera moving more and more in one direction away from the space station, then I can guarantee that is another mod's issue. There may be more than one issue going on here, but until all of the other ones are sorted out (the JSI errors, whatever is causing the camera weirdness, anything else) I can't even begin to tell if this is due to KJR or not.

I would suggest going into the Support forum and making a thread with all the info that is expected there (given the sticky) and see about all the other issues first. Then, if the issue remains, I'll look into it, but as of this moment all of my attempts to build anything similar have resulted in proper undocking behavior with the ports.

I would say that the latest version is ready for release (I made a few efficiency adjustments last night), but I want to resolve this first, so everyone's waiting on you at this point. :P

Hi Ferram,

Did you use my save file ? Did the KSP log give some Infos about it ?

No its not that the camera is running way its more like the space station starts to move from top to bottom of the screen, then reapears at the top and runs down again.

Hmm do you have ANY idea what could cause such a behaviour ? I got quite a lot of mods running but other than mks there is nothing who would pop to my mind about space station and docking....

As im quite busy with work im not sure if i can post a good bug report until the weekend. If you cant wait that long just release it as early beta or as is....

Thanks for taking time!

Ferram, I posted a bunch of stuff a while ago, and you suggested I try the dev build, which I did. All my stuck docking issues instantly went away when I switched to your dev version.

I did numerous tests, including adding mods in 1 at a time and retesting, and in tests with the problem, a save with the issue would be fine with the dev version you had suggested. I linked craft files, etc back then.

Thanks for the mods, and your time.

@ManuxKerb: I have not tried the save file, because you have not provided a mod list. Given the huge number of mods involved and the number of errors showing up in the log though, I doubt I'll be able to reproduce anything even with the save.

Also, so what you're saying is that the camera moves off the space station, and then snaps back, correct? Are you certain that it is the space station moving? In any case, KJR has never caused any issues like that (camera shenanigans) and does not affect any of the code that possibly could. I'm sorry, but I am not going to attempt to debug issues that may or may not be related to my code when there are confounding issues that are certainly not caused by my code sitting around.

Given that if that I cannot close this issue, and it is in the same category as the previous issues that are the reason why I need to release a new update, I cannot release the new version in any form whatsoever until you provide clear steps without confounders. Follow the steps in the Support forum sticky until you can reproduce the issue on a clean install with as few mods as possible (including considering the possibility that KJR is not implicated), and then get back to me. We'll all be waiting. :)