[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Jarin: just one is sufficient... assuming he's not too stupid. If you do not get a productivity line, something is wrong. If productivity <= 0, and the part is crewed, then your kerbal is too stupid.

Due to crashes, I'm having to rebuild some things, so just to confirm while I'm in the re-planning stage... I do not need any other modules on my lander other than the survey unit and a supply of rocket parts? My goal is to standardize a lifter that can put a full container of rocketparts on Minmus and build everything out in place.

Due to crashes, I'm having to rebuild some things, so just to confirm while I'm in the re-planning stage... I do not need any other modules on my lander other than the survey unit and a supply of rocket parts? My goal is to standardize a lifter that can put a full container of rocketparts on Minmus and build everything out in place.

That is certainly the intent, though you will need a command source as well. If you make it a pod rather than a probe core, it will be another source of KerbalHours.

A quick test of probe-core + survey unit (crewed) on the pad will let you know. If you get any productivity (even negative, as that's just kerbal selection), then it will work. If you don't, I have some work to do (the survey unit is supposed to be a workshop too, but I may have messed up my MM config).

That is certainly the intent, though you will need a command source as well. If you make it a pod rather than a probe core, it will be another source of KerbalHours.

A quick test of probe-core + survey unit (crewed) on the pad will let you know. If you get any productivity (even negative, as that's just kerbal selection), then it will work. If you don't, I have some work to do (the survey unit is supposed to be a workshop too, but I may have messed up my MM config).

Okay, in a fit of oddity that had my crew giving me really strange looks, I had bill go out on the launch pad with a bunch of parts and cobble together a rocket from scratch, all by himself, despite being 100 yards from the VAB. Aside from his pointed complaints, it seems to work fine. NO idea what was screwing up on Minmus base earlier. Guess I'll find out when I get this thing back up there again...

I've looked all over and I haven't found a video where anyone was using the Survey stakes. Could someone toss up a quick video on how to use them? Heck I'd volunteer to do a whole video for the entire mod (karbonite version) but I I've yet to sucessfully setup an entire operation (meaning a base capable of producing all the resources needed to create new ships insitu. This is because of my lack of understanding of how the parts all work :( .... I'm working on that tonight!

Do what I did and figure it out by deploying a full container of rocketparts with a survey unit on the launch pad. A single stake set to "origin" nearby should be all you need. So 6 parts to test it. Command pod > Rocketparts container > Survey Unit > KAS attachment point > KAS Container > Survey stake in container. Put jeb or bob in the capsule and bill in the survey unit. Use Bill to plant the stake and then hop back inside. You should be able to use the "Show UI" on the survey unit to select something to build from there.

Okay, anyone have any experience working with the recycling bin? I just had it poof an entire ship instantly (some 6000 parts to build) and the attached rocketparts tank stayed stubbornly empty.

Not really used it much. But a couple pages back someone asked and it was said that it no longer produces rocket parts. But produces metal instead. There was some setting you could change though. Check like 2 or 3 pages previous to this.

GameData/ExtraplanetaryLauchpads/Settings.cfg is where to look (HullRecycleTarget).

About "background" builds: I've been testing the patch I received from Henry Bauer, and with one minor tweak, it seems to be working quite well. I have come to the conclusion that my stance on holding back on doing background builds until something can be done about background resource consumption was mistaken. KerbalHours already gives plenty of game mechanic: no need for worrying about electric charge etc, though smelters etc will continue as they are.

There are some changes I want to make: mainly to make it truly background and use the message system to inform you when a build is done, but that can wait.

Expect to see a friendlier EL in the near future :)

I just had it poof an entire ship instantly (some 6000 parts to build) and the attached rocketparts tank stayed stubbornly empty.
...it no longer produces rocket parts. But produces metal instead.
Ouch. Well, that explains that.

There is no shame editing 5000-6000 rocket parts into that bin in the persistent file.

What's the logic in needing all the parts in beforehand in order to even start building? It's reasonable to assume that rocketparts can be produced while a ship is built. Really weird change.

Edit: Or does the ship get instantly built after all parts are available?

Edited by SlimJim89

SlimJim89: if you enable timed builds, you can start building with 0 parts (though you won't get far). The ship will be ready to spawn (instantly) once all the parts have been consumed by the pad ("Finalize Build").

SlimJim89: if you enable timed builds, you can start building with 0 parts (though you won't get far). The ship will be ready to spawn (instantly) once all the parts have been consumed by the pad ("Finalize Build").

Possible bug then? my follow up question got missed a few pages back. I had asked about turning timed builds on after the fact and you told me where inthe persistent file to set it to true. when I went in I found it was already set to true, but my builds still require 100% rocket part before they will start.

I'll check again when I get done chasing a nasty MFT bug, but I've never noticed such myself, though all my recent builds have been smaller than my storage. I have, however, noticed that sometimes the detection of available parts (or some other related issue) prevents the build from starting, but a save/load fixed that.

Not having any idea what it was, I said yes to timed builds or progressive builds when asked. Now I'd like to change that. I already spent enough time getting rocket parts, I don't need to spend weeks in time warp to wait for some small probe to build.

How can I change building to instant without having to uninstall? I've got a lot of EPL equipment off planet and would prefer not to lose it.

Not having any idea what it was, I said yes to timed builds or progressive builds when asked. Now I'd like to change that. I already spent enough time getting rocket parts, I don't need to spend weeks in time warp to wait for some small probe to build.

How can I change building to instant without having to uninstall? I've got a lot of EPL equipment off planet and would prefer not to lose it.

think its in settings.cfg also fyi since seems u dont know kerba the build rate is determined by the number of kerbals in workshops.

progrissive build is teh way to build stuff imo. u dont have to sit there and watcxh go do other stuff while it builds. no one said u cant be flying other stuff while its building.

think its in settings.cfg also fyi since seems u dont know kerba the build rate is determined by the number of kerbals in workshops.

progrissive build is teh way to build stuff imo. u dont have to sit there and watcxh go do other stuff while it builds. no one said u cant be flying other stuff while its building.

Actually you do have to sit and watch it. As unloaded/ background building has not been implemented yet that I know of. So if you go do something else the building of ships is halted until you focus back on the epl ship again. Taniwha mentioned on the previous page that he is working on a patch someone sent him and that this is expected to be implemented soon.

@Kerba fett as for changing settings look in your saved game folder and open your persistent file. Then look for something that says exsettings then find timed builds and change it to false. You will need to have the full amount of rocket parts on hand to build anything now. So It can get tough when building larger ships.

Edited by Hevak