[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Majiir hasn't been around for about two weeks it looks like. While I'm waiting I can get a go ahead to post the config files to add more/metal/rocketparts processing to the kethane equipment, does anyone actually want them? I've done it myself, so far works great. Heck I can even do a write up explaining how to modify it yourself for your own use...but it would take longer than it probably did to add the modules to the configs.

Just curious, because I won't bother to continue perusing it if no one is interested. :)

I am as interested as I was last time I said I was interested :)

MM files? What sorcery are these?!?

ModuleManager

It allows for the changing of CFGs without changing CFGs. You can...impose over the pre-existing CFGs with it.

Reason I suggest this is because when I asked Majiir about it before, it doesn't violate his license because it's not distributing models/CFGs/DLLs or anything else that comes with Kethane (or any of his other mods)

Edited by Jivaii
More info

ModuleManager

It allows for the changing of CFGs without changing CFGs. You can...impose over the pre-existing CFGs with it.

Reason I suggest this is because when I asked Majiir about it before, it doesn't violate his license because it's not distributing models/CFGs/DLLs or anything else that comes with Kethane (or any of his other mods)

But then I have to learn things and stuff! Hahah..I'll look into it, see what's all involved.

I am very interested in those configs. Modules. Whatever. I was also about to ask if there was a simple way to change the kethane drill particle effect from green to grey or brown.

I'd like for you to play that role more quietly, please. We already have plenty of them and the noise is becoming bothersome. It would be a shame if the project were abandoned because nobody wanted to put up with the armchair critics.

I'll have to decline. It is always a shame when projects don't live up to their potential because of someone's infantile need to maintain a circlejerk atmosphere. If you don't agree with what I have to say, you should contradict me and give reasons. But you should be encouraging people to express their opinions, not discouraging them.

This is a great thing! Never built a station before, but now I have my first orbital lander factory. Have one issue with it, and have already put it up on the tracker.

For those interested: Pay close attention to the rocket parts cost of your ships in the VAB. If you use ALT to copy parts alot while building, then you are receiving a discount on the final craft. This is magnified the more you add/delete COPIED parts, to the point of the craft being free or negative cost. If you DO NOT want to cheat the system, then avoid ALT copy while building, and instead opt for parts straight out of the parts tabs. Just a heads-up if you really want to play this mod as intended, until a fix can be worked out. I don't suggest exploiting this, or you will find your beautiful mining operation to be utterly useless... but still beautiful.

This is a great thing! Never built a station before, but now I have my first orbital lander factory. Have one issue with it, and have already put it up on the tracker.

For those interested: Pay close attention to the rocket parts cost of your ships in the VAB. If you use ALT to copy parts alot while building, then you are receiving a discount on the final craft. This is magnified the more you add/delete COPIED parts, to the point of the craft being free or negative cost. If you DO NOT want to cheat the system, then avoid ALT copy while building, and instead opt for parts straight out of the parts tabs. Just a heads-up if you really want to play this mod as intended, until a fix can be worked out. I don't suggest exploiting this, or you will find your beautiful mining operation to be utterly useless... but still beautiful.

I've....never had that issue, and I use ALT a lot. I'm curious as to how you managed this.

I can demonstrate with pictures:

Starting with stock 3-man pod, cost is 1600

screenshot24.png

Increased to 2000 with stock Rockomax tank, as expected

screenshot25.png

Here's where it starts, I ALT copy the tank and notice the cost is now 1600 again

screenshot26.png

Delete the copy and do this 4 more times, and you get this free ship

screenshot27.png

Finally, throw out the tank and now the ship owes me 400 rocket parts when built at the dock

screenshot28.png

But you didn't attach the cloned item. What if you attach the cloned item, then delete said cloned item?

Or, leave the cloned item unattached, detach the original item, then reattach and then attach the cloned item?

wrexecute: I haven't looked at the tracker yet (I will, thanks!), but I can tell you right now that the bug is only in the VAB display. You will not get a discount when building because the calculations are done a little differently: I took some shortcuts in the editor and I guess I missed copied parts.

thanks for the quick reply, that is good to hear. I wasn't sure what would happen if I try building it on a dock, so I didn't do it. As long as the dock knows how much it really costs, it don't bother me too much.

@Jivaii: Only subtracts when ALT clicking a part. Any other rearranging or deleting will maintain the normal behavior, and so it isn't that noticable. And as taniwha just pointed out, the dock still deducts the right amount of stuff on its end.

Edited by wrexecute

I have started to love this mod, my current Jool science grand tour only carry rocket parts, reduce part count to 1/4 :)

I tend to do things in orbit, this has the benefit of no gravity :) I use an miner with an melter then an orbital shipyard or an smaller construction ship with the workshop for construction. Yes I see later that I could move the melter to the shipyard.

One question had it been possible to combine all the various sized modules to one as I see many other mods do?

I would also like an far larger version of the rocket part module, perhaps even an 5 meter module, they limit the size of the ship you can build, I tend to see them as an drydock rather than part storage.

Oh, I want it! I've been following this for a while now, I would love to use some new models.

Alright, you and some others have shown some interest. I'm working on creating a module manager cfg for it, so nothing has to be modified as suggested by Jivaii. Getting some things to work right was easy, but I'm having a sticking point with the drills. Waiting for answers right meow on the module manager thread.

Just finished phase one of my new EL base on the Mun...

SbDS62a.jpg

I flew in the command module in the background (including all the ground pylons and most of the pipe ends), the pad (connected by winch, not very visible), the metal bin (full) and the first parts bin (partially full). Everything else was built on site. The HOME Hab module is the workshop and the two "Kethane" drills are the Ore augurs. The two "crashed" probes are delivery, one for the pad, one for the parts container; both are deliberately tipped over as part of their delivery mechanisms.

How did you get the ground pylons to work? Every time I've tried to use them they disappeared off at lightspeed somewhere, usually taking bits of my base with them. I know about trying to keep the angles of connection and the pipe in line, but sometimes it doesn't seem to help.

How did you get the ground pylons to work? Every time I've tried to use them they disappeared off at lightspeed somewhere, usually taking bits of my base with them. I know about trying to keep the angles of connection and the pipe in line, but sometimes it doesn't seem to help.

I find that if I quicksave first, the pylons and pipes never explode. As soon as I forget to quicksave, everything explodes. So fight Murphy with Murphy. Quicksave before every connection.

I have an issue. The landing pad 2 says it is unmanned and yet every time it steals two of my kerbals away from me. Is this normal and how do I get them back out?

It's not actually unmanned; there's just a) no IVA scene and B) no hatch. You'd have to remove them in the VAB at the moment.

I've not really had any issues. I do try to line them up and I typically quicksave before adding anything to a base or really any complex structure, but that's not a Pylon thing, that's a "can't sleep, Kraken will eat me" thing.

I did load the game back up to start on Phase 2 (Kethane infrastructure, all built on-site) and ran into a problem. I built a new launch pad (intending to keep it as a spare, as the one I had was having trouble staying upright) and from that moment on, any time I loaded the quicksave both pads would explode. First one, then the other. I played with it for quite a while before giving up and flying in a new pad, this time a Launchpad 2 just for something different. Here's what the base looks like now (from the opposite angle because sunrise):

d0FzkaJ.jpg

Left to right across the image, we have the deployed LaunchPad 2 connected to a Pylon with a pipe (this seems to keep the pad from jumping around.) That pylon is connected to another slated to be the home of the Kethane infrastructure. Next pylon is connected to the Workshop-that-looks-like-a-HOME-habitat on one side, and a small smelter on the other; the smelter is in turn connected to a large ore canister with two ore drills on it. (Two for balance, no other reason.) Last pylon has the original metal delivery container on one side, and three large Parts canisters on the other. The first Parts canister was flown in, the other two built on-site; the third one in the row as a large Recycler on the front. The command ship is attached at the end.

The pad, metal bin, first parts container, and command ship are the only items flown in from Kerbin. The Workshop, second Parts canister, Smelter, and Ore mining vehicle were all built from the metal in the delivered container, which pretty much emptied it.

All the vehicles are mobile, though the pad is only through flight and the metal bin is nearly impossible to drive. Everything else including the workshop uses legs for stability and rover wheels for transport.