[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

Really glad to see you're working on situation-specific audio :D

A couple things to consider: You'll probably need to come up with some way to cross-fade between tracks, the transitions will otherwise sound very jarring. Has anybody here offered to compose original material? This would also help smooth out those transitions. I'd be glad to help / collaborate with anybody up for the challenge.

This makes me think of how great it would be to have dynamic music. Tracks could be composed in a number of different variations for different situations; and whenever the craft situation changes, the system could crossfade to the appropriate variant, played synchronized to the previous one. But the problem is, we'd need some very skilled and devoted musicians to make these tracks. I'd love to try something like that myself, but I don't think I'm good enough a musician for that.

Really glad to see you're working on situation-specific audio :D

A couple things to consider: You'll probably need to come up with some way to cross-fade between tracks, the transitions will otherwise sound very jarring. Has anybody here offered to compose original material? This would also help smooth out those transitions. I'd be glad to help / collaborate with anybody up for the challenge.

Multi-channel support will have to be done at some point. Most of the stock scenes have both an ambient and music track for example.

[...] crossfade to the appropriate variant, played synchronized to the previous one. [...]

Synchronisation will be the difficult part. In the current prototype, there is a gap of ~0.25s for MP3 and ~2s for OGG/WAV from one track ending until the next is loaded and playing, but I have a few ideas that may fix that. Exact synchronisation could be an issue, but time will tell.

Has anybody here offered to compose original material? This would also help smooth out those transitions. I'd be glad to help / collaborate with anybody up for the challenge.

Whatsupdog. I'm considering composing some orchestral music for this. I'm limited to free software like Reaper and free VSTIs and soundfonts. I also have an electric guitar, but I'm still somewhat of a beginner with it.

What about you?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

For some reason the songs I added aren't playing, but the ones included with the install do.

Here's what I did:

1) I unzipped the download and dragged "Mono" and "Soundtrack Editor" folders into GamaData.

2) Added my songs into "Space" and "Construction" folders. Changed all of them from .m4a to .ogg.

3) Edited "settings.cfg" to include my songs.

Again, the default songs and the ones that come with the mod play as intended. But my custom ones don't seem to come up in-game.

For some reason the songs I added aren't playing, but the ones included with the install do.

Here's what I did:

1) I unzipped the download and dragged "Mono" and "Soundtrack Editor" folders into GamaData.

2) Added my songs into "Space" and "Construction" folders. Changed all of them from .m4a to .ogg.

3) Edited "settings.cfg" to include my songs.

Again, the default songs and the ones that come with the mod play as intended. But my custom ones don't seem to come up in-game.

You have to merge the GameData and KSP_Data folders included in the zip into the KSP root directory. SoundtrackEditor goes into GameData, Mono goes into KSP_Data. Which program did you use to change your tracks from .m4a to .ogg? It may be better to test with files that started out as .wav, .ogg or .mp3 to begin with. The main download includes some .ogg files. Once your files are in whatever folder structure you want under SoundtrackEditor/Music, running and exiting the game sets up the settings.cfg. After that's done, all your songs should be listed in the "UnusedTracks" section of the file, and you can move the listing in the file to whatever section you want to hear them in.

Mono goes into KSP_Data.

I fixed this (and put KSP_Data in the root folder, KSP_osx) but it didn't solve the problem.

Which program did you use to change your tracks from .m4a to .ogg? It may be better to test with files that started out as .wav, .ogg or .mp3 to begin with.

I just renamed the song files to use .ogg instead of .m4a. It asked me to confirm changing the format, which I did.

The main download includes some .ogg files. Once your files are in whatever folder structure you want under SoundtrackEditor/Music, running and exiting the game sets up the settings.cfg. After that's done, all your songs should be listed in the "UnusedTracks" section of the file, and you can move the listing in the file to whatever section you want to hear them in.

I did all this, but it doesn't work. The songs all stay in the "Space" and "Construction" sections of the settings.cfg, but they don't come up in-game.

On what may be a related note, "Mysterioso March" seems to play way more often than the other tracks that came with the mod. As in, sixty percent of the time when I switch to a ship that's the song that starts playing.

Also, I'm playing on a Mac if that makes any difference.

Edited by Mitchz95

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod. It's fantastic, and I've been making soundtracks for days now. I've wanted a way to change that shrill birds loop for ages and this made it easy. I'd like to see a controllable player like others have said, but it's great. Kevin MacLeod's music is great, too. Everyone should check out his site for more.

For situational music, there's this thing that some games do where if a tune isn't finished playing when a situation changes, then the new tune is faded in and the old one is faded out. Both have to be similar in tempo, and a little in chord progression, so that they mix well. It's like a dynamic editing kind of thing. Does anyone know what that's called?

I don't have an OS-X machine to test on at the moment, but I see two places where libmpg is likely to work. If either of these paths work for you, I'll put together an OS-X release:

KSP.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx

KSP.app/Contents/Data/Managed

Neither location worked for me.

I don't have any mods with MP3s so I haven't been able to verify this process but this is one way that might solve this issue.

Install mpg123 using Homebrew. Then copy

$(brew --prefix mpg123)/lib/libmpg123.0.dylib

to

KSP.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmpg123-0.dylib

assuming that there is no version mismatch (or modifications were made to libmpg123-0.dll) then in theory it should just work.

I just renamed the song files to use .ogg instead of .m4a. It asked me to confirm changing the format, which I did.

You can't just rename the files and expect the format of them to change too; they have to be trans-coded with a separate application. After all, renaming a .pdf with a .txt extension won't automatically turn it into a text document.

.m4a is a MPEG (licensed) standard, where .ogg is a separate open format.

Not currently, but the coming version 3 release will add support for custom playlists in most situations. It's about a third of the way complete at the moment.

Extremely minor call-out here, but in the README, the installation instructions say:

"Extract the zip to the root KSP folder, overwriting the GameData and KSP_Data folders."

I just wanted to point out that some users may actually have the option to merge vs overwrite, which will have drastically different consequences for newbies following the instructions to the letter. Almost all stock OSes will default to merging, but you never know what's out there these days...

Is this Unity or KSP issue, when a single 2mb song east up about 100MB of ram. It's kind of sucks all the ram left over when I install your mod ! But the tracks are amazing

Extremely minor call-out here, but in the README, the installation instructions say:

"Extract the zip to the root KSP folder, overwriting the GameData and KSP_Data folders."

I just wanted to point out that some users may actually have the option to merge vs overwrite, which will have drastically different consequences for newbies following the instructions to the letter. Almost all stock OSes will default to merging, but you never know what's out there these days...

Thanks, I missed that one! That could easily turn out badly for someone.

Is this Unity or KSP issue, when a single 2mb song east up about 100MB of ram. It's kind of sucks all the ram left over when I install your mod ! But the tracks are amazing

Unity uncompresses audio into memory when it loads it. I'm looking at ways around this for the version 3 release, but it should be less of an issue in that release due to tracks only being loaded when they're playing.

Thanks, I missed that one! That could easily turn out badly for someone.

Happy to help where I can. :)

Unity uncompresses audio into memory when it loads it. I'm looking at ways around this for the version 3 release, but it should be less of an issue in that release due to tracks only being loaded when they're playing.

Isn't there a way to stream audio instead of unpacking an entire track to RAM first? If there was an expectation to apply some kind of realtime mixing or effects to the audio, that'd be a case for going back to raw, but otherwise it's just sucking down resources unnecessarily (in my limited-experience opinion). There's an open source audio API for .NET here, and my brain has distracted itself with visions of a simple player UI that uses the Toolbar000 plugin for simplicity of control as well. Do-able? I have no idea. I gave up on .NET long ago when the endless parade of revision releases began, so the best I can offer is ideas. >_>

Isn't there a way to stream audio instead of unpacking an entire track to RAM first? If there was an expectation to apply some kind of realtime mixing or effects to the audio, that'd be a case for going back to raw, but otherwise it's just sucking down resources unnecessarily (in my limited-experience opinion). There's an open source audio API for .NET here [...]

Unity supports streaming from the disk or web, creating procedural audio on the fly (loading it from your API for example), or having audio compressed in memory, so there are a few options there. It's a matter of trying it out and working around any excuses Unity gives you to not let it work.

[...] my brain has distracted itself with visions of a simple player UI that uses the Toolbar000 plugin for simplicity of control as well. Do-able? I have no idea.

I plan to do the GUI as part of the finishing touches for the version 3 release. I'd like to have play, pause and skip controls, possibly volume and seek bars too. Another potential idea is for a track title/artist popup when the track changes. It'll all be customisable. Beyond that, an in-game playlist editor will be pretty important, but that will likely be a later release.

the best I can offer is ideas. >_>

Ideas are always welcome! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a fun mod, pizzaoverhead. I haven't downloaded it, yet... but I was curious if you have, or are working on the capability for certain songs to play at certain moments (e.g. I'd LOVE to hear "Martian Cowboy" ONLY when I reach Dunian soil... ad not because the song had "Martian" in it, but RATHER portrays a feel of distant, cold lonliness... something befitting for a desolate dry planet like Duna. In my head, I see myself also downloading the Antarctica theme from the Transformers: Armada game for the PS2, because it portrays a similar feel; Myself, mind you, not for the public, as I'm sure that music is not royalty free)?

If you do, maybe I can find some more royalty-free music that can be used for certain scenes (like entering Eve's atmosphere/landing/walking on Eve, or flying to/walking on Laythe, or flying to the Sun/Kerbol, etc), to help out.

This looks like a fun mod, pizzaoverhead. I haven't downloaded it, yet... but I was curious if you have, or are working on the capability for certain songs to play at certain moments (e.g. I'd LOVE to hear "Martian Cowboy" ONLY when I reach Dunian soil... ad not because the song had "Martian" in it, but RATHER portrays a feel of distant, cold lonliness... something befitting for a desolate dry planet like Duna. In my head, I see myself also downloading the Antarctica theme from the Transformers: Armada game for the PS2, because it portrays a similar feel; Myself, mind you, not for the public, as I'm sure that music is not royalty free)?

If you do, maybe I can find some more royalty-free music that can be used for certain scenes (like entering Eve's atmosphere/landing/walking on Eve, or flying to/walking on Laythe, or flying to the Sun/Kerbol, etc), to help out.

...and when you do your first Goo experiment, up pops Weird Al Yankovic - Slime Creatures From Outer Space >_<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.