Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Nice one, dark Jim! If that's supposed to be a Buran replica, its real-life counterpart didn't use shuttle engines on launch. Instead, the engines on the main stack were slightly canted outwards :)

So. I'm going to start another launcher line as my Peruns are mostly outdated and I only ever used half of them anyway :P

I've been working on another Laythe SSTO.

This time I will have a hull O.o

It just needs a little tweaking and it needs to get the intakes added. Now it has around 200 parts

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It also has a nose cargo door (I still need a way for things to drive in without bumping into the little bottom block part and the wing)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It looks a bit like Overfloater's Vanera

Well, I'm a bit late, but it's ready. 20mt to orbit, RCS only on the orbiter, horrible glider that can land only if you flare properly, plus no solar arrays so a limited orbital stay. My most accurate shuttle replica ever! And it even has a SRB thrust profile you can screw around with yourself to fit the specific payload weight. Looks like tomorrow I will have "a little something" for you guys!

rfpRQtC.png

VqDkhy1.png

VnPQd7g.png

Rune. Also, I got my mods to behave! :D

Edited by Rune

(This is a stupid question):

Would you mind if I use your idea to move the cockpit up with I-Beams?

Good ahead. Don't feel scared to reuse my concepts (I would have said that without the "my", but there are all sorts of people with different opinions, so...)

It really doesn't matter. I was really happy to create something without a low amount of parts. It's not like that if I discover something, no one else can use it. It doesn't even take that much creativity (imo) to create such a simple cargo door.

The aforementioned launcher family is starting to take shape. I tried to follow a semi-realistic progression, so larger versions will use common 2.5m booster cores. No crossfeed though :P

http://i.imgur.com/YAE5OIn.png

From left to right- ICBM, 110, 120, 122S

Looks great, but those fairings are a bit small, don't you think?

Looks great, but those fairings are a bit small, don't you think?

Duly noted; the center pair are supposed to have compact ones, but I elongated the right launcher's fairings by 2 panel rows. It will manage about 5 tons to Mun transfer if properly piloted, but the margin of error is tiny as its second stage has a TWR of less than one :P