Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've started work on my new launcher family, the Gamma Series, which will replace both the Alpha and Beta series. They'll draw inspiration from them, but I'm trying to give the rockets as a whole a somewhat uniform look. So far I have 7 rockets, basically replacing the Alpha I and II. Using SRBs, I've been able to give them a very smooth payload capacity progression, much like the Atlas V.

Here are the first 7, rated for payloads from 9.5 to 16.5t:

xUXUgRb.jpg?1

This does mean that I'll boot the Alpha and Beta series from the forum, so if you still want them, download 'em while you can, or PM me if they're already gone

Well, same* as the real one obviously :)

http://imgur.com/a/yoV53

*or as close as posible

EDIT:

Testing

http://imgur.com/a/mCwUA

You seem to be doing the "gimbal" action by throttling down some Zeniths. That is a bad idea, since then you have to partially empty them and even then it'll be very difficult to make them end their burns at the same time as the others. Instead, actually angle the main core engines so the stack is balanced at the fuel conditions of post-separation of the boosters, then add the boosters and angle their engines so you get the CoM back in the CoT line. That and a liberal amount of Vernors on top of the ET should work, but considering you have to have a takeoff mass close to the real thing... yeah, that's going to be a lot of Vernors to get enough control torque.

You could do the throttling trick on the core, too, to handle the iffy points just before separation and at the end of the orbital insertion. Since all core engines draw from the same tank, that is a valid way to simulate a powerful gimbal, but you will have to throttle two engines at once, and I find that difficult to do when you are trying to do proper gravity turn and stuff. Of course, lag will actually help there, more time to think.

Other than that, it looks really gorgeous. I hope you get it to fly properly!

Rune. I might try my hand at a Buran stack one of these days.

Well i cannot angle neither the core or the Zenit motors since the TWR at liftoff is almost non-existent, and the whole thing also sits on them. Instead i have made the Zenits crossfeed each other so that they run out simultaneously. And once the fuel runs low engnouth to screw the COM-COT ballance i just switch some engines off and on via action groups to maintain stability.

The olny problem that i have right now is that the core is just way too heavy, once the Zenits separate (and create epic laggfest of boom) the TWR drops below 1, even when the core is half empty (or half full for the optimist).

Well i cannot angle neither the core or the Zenit motors since the TWR at liftoff is almost non-existent, and the whole thing also sits on them. Instead i have made the Zenits crossfeed each other so that they run out simultaneously. And once the fuel runs low engnouth to screw the COM-COT ballance i just switch some engines off and on via action groups to maintain stability.

The olny problem that i have right now is that the core is just way too heavy, once the Zenits separate (and create epic laggfest of boom) the TWR drops below 1, even when the core is half empty (or half full for the optimist).

In that case you should try reducing the fuel in the core stage. You probably don't need all that fuel anyways.

I am currently working on a new Eve lander with return capabilities. I am almost through, i only need to add some seperatrons to get the TWR right for final descend deceleration... and the pilot needs a way out an into the capsule... as soon as it is finished, it will be available for download on my craft thread.

7j3n3O0.png

I was originally going to post this:

You have a TWR issue? Well, :0.0:.

Then the first thing you have to do is shed weight. There is no way you need so much fuel to lift any sane payload that four KR-2Ls can't lift.

Then I walked away without hitting send, and not only did someone else told you the same thing, you proved it yourself by SSTOing it. You probably have enough fuel there to do a Munar mission! That's not accurate!

Rune. Now tinker with it until you can't make orbit with the core! :)

My current WIP - "Burya" (La-350) - a trisonic, intercontinental cruise missile developed by the Lavochkin design bureau.

According to the program of flight "Burya" starts vertically on engines of the first stage, gradually turns in horizontal flight and at the height of 17.500 m accelerates to speed M~3. After that an engine of the second stage turns on and its boosters separates from the main stage. Then "Burya" goes towards the target at the height of 17-18 km. When "Burya" is approaching to the target, the rocket gains height of 25 km and dives on the target.

Here's an imgur album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album