[0.90][Plugin/WIP][Discontinued indefinitely] KittopiaTech Ingame Terraforming Tools V0.192

KCreator

I'm using Planet Factory CE and RSS to create a full recreation of our own Solar System and I tried to use the Ring Tool to add rings to Saturn. It worked, but when I reload the game Saturn has shrunk in size and no longer has the rings. It seems to have reverted to the original size of Jool (the template Saturn is based on). Is there some conflict between this mod and PF CE or RSS?

I think it might be an incompatibility with RSS, as both attempt to manipulate existing planets, but if you delete the CelestialBody and PQS nodes in the config generated by my plugin, it should fix any compatibility issues.

I think it might be an incompatibility with RSS, as both attempt to manipulate existing planets, but if you delete the CelestialBody and PQS nodes in the config generated by my plugin, it should fix any compatibility issues.

I tried that and it worked! Thanks.

Now the only issues are the rings not appearing on the planets after a reload, and ring inclination not working. Are these common problems?

I tried that and it worked! Thanks.

Now the only issues are the rings not appearing on the planets after a reload, and ring inclination not working. Are these common problems?

That is strange... Can you pm me the logs, and the kittopiatech cfg? I will see if I can find the problem...

@Kcreator: sorry if it has already asked before, could it be possible to add new bodies in addition to edit existing ones ? Even "simple" bodies like big asteroids for example.

I have dabbled in this before, but instantiating planet bodies ingame seems to be impossible with my knowledge, so no ingame planet maker yet... However, PlanetFactory CE does a good job of creating planets, however, the trick is to do it before the game fully loads. I might research on how to instantiate planets ingame more, but it may be impossible with the way the game is currently set up.

I have dabbled in this before, but instantiating planet bodies ingame seems to be impossible with my knowledge, so no ingame planet maker yet... However, PlanetFactory CE does a good job of creating planets, however, the trick is to do it before the game fully loads. I might research on how to instantiate planets ingame more, but it may be impossible with the way the game is currently set up.

ok.

What do you think about using asteroids (and/or spawning mechanism or anything related to them) as base ? I know they're not the same as a body, and they might don't share all properties of such object but at least they have the basic ones (orbit, mass, shape, ...).

I've not yet try Planet Factory but it looks like it is made to build new star system not editing existing one, I have to study this.

EDIT: tried PF CE, too bad, it only allow creation of new system and it's quite not very intuitive, no way to just add a body to the KSP star system ? Too bad. And PF itself has been banned for good for a source code matter mostly.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
PF CE try added

Question: if I want to create a new planet, can I use only this mod, and make the planet in a cfg, and then start the game? Or will I have to rely on PlanetFactory CE to create the planet, and then use this to edit it to my liking?

This looks awesome, if I wasn't already at the 4GB limit, I'd try it out now.

However, as a fellow developer (and, full disclosure, open-source advocate), I'd like to offer some unsolicited advice on your license. It's really not a good idea to have a license like that -- it leaves open a lot of legal ambiguity, and someone could exploit that and do things you clearly don't want to do.

If I can make a recommendation, if your code is to be free and open source (which I interpret from the 'used by all') bit, but you don't want commercial binary re-distribution, then I would recommend simply saying, "This code, except where noted, is free for non-profit, non-commercial, must-attribute use." This is a lot simpler and more clear.

You could also use a Creative Commons BY-NC license, though these aren't often used for code, it's not inappropriate to use them, and they're relatively customizable, see: http://creativecommons.org/choose/

Finally, as a Free-culture, open source advocate, I have to say; do consider *allowing* for 'commercial' use, one of the pillars of the FOSS movement is that it doesn't restrict commercial use. This helps keep FOSS commercially valuable, and though a KSP plugin isn't likely to make-or-break the FOSS movement, it's important to remember that people who use your software to make money aren't necessarily out to exploit, often they recontribute and make everything better.

If you'd like to make explicit restrictions, that's okay too, you can say, "This Code is licensed under the MIT License, except where noted in the source, and so long as it is not redistributed on pay-to-download sites similar to ad.fly, such similar sites are determined at the discretion of the author or those he empowers to make those decisions." This covers all your requirements, but also puts you on a much more solid footing in terms of clarity of licensure. It's not likely to ever be a big problem, but it's good to get this stuff right, so in the off chance it could, it won't come and bite you in the butt.

NB. I originally posted this on hounddogger's blog of this post, so there's a second copy of it running around.

Edited by jfredett
typo

That's a good idea, jfredett. I would like to thank you for helping me with clarifying the licencing. Copyright laws really give me a headache sometimes!

Anyway, still wrestling with oceans. They worked better in my testplugin that's for sure! I will also work on a scaledspace save system, to allow terraformed planets to look the part in map view.

Would anyone be interested if I moved the source code to something like github, instead of in the dropbox download?

ok.

What do you think about using asteroids (and/or spawning mechanism or anything related to them) as base ? I know they're not the same as a body, and they might don't share all properties of such object but at least they have the basic ones (orbit, mass, shape, ...).

I've not yet try Planet Factory but it looks like it is made to build new star system not editing existing one, I have to study this.

EDIT: tried PF CE, too bad, it only allow creation of new system and it's quite not very intuitive, no way to just add a body to the KSP star system ? Too bad. And PF itself has been banned for good for a source code matter mostly.

No one on this ?

Also the fact that they aren't actually celestial bodies, but actually vessels. Might as well ask to terraform a ship, since asteroids are ships.

:D good point.

It doesn't looks like to be possible to modify the KSP system, maybe with PF, but since it has been "banned" from here due to license issue, it's no longer a solution.

The non Planet Factory CE is probably now probably illegal as the space port was finished and he has not re uploaded it. However, PF CE is perfectly legal and compatible with this mod. It works fine and if you are looking for extra planets its a good place to look.

The non Planet Factory CE is probably now probably illegal as the space port was finished and he has not re uploaded it. However, PF CE is perfectly legal and compatible with this mod. It works fine and if you are looking for extra planets its a good place to look.

legal and against/disrespect of forum's rules are two different things.

Forum's rules, fortunately or not, are not laws.

Off-topic: I just wonder why on Kerbin there is no simple tool to just 'add/delete/modify body' ? PF CE looks really weird with all those text editing to do prior anything else.

Decided to upload a new version, even though it wasn't quite working the way I wanted. There are a few bug fixes, and the ability to save/load planet scaledspace textures. Please notify me of any other errors.

Oceans still aren't behaving very well... They just don't seem to copy their textures very well. And importing textures seems to fail too... Does anyone have any information on the ocean texture/shader?

I am unsure why this is the case, but for some reason updating the reference body of the orbit does not save the CFG file, and that the planets o back to orbiting the sun when the game is brought up again. Is there a way around this I can use?

Progress!

Well... Kind of, still need to iron out those bugs. Can even "animate" the ocean textures, but they seem to have a weird tendency of creating strange colouring effects. Will have an option to override the default shader.

That's awesome! I was trying to do almost exactly that :) out of curiosity, can you use the stock texture? and also can you recolor it? I'm not really artistic(ok... my artistic ability peaked at finger painting as a toddler...) but I am trying to add lava to one of my planets, and I am wondering if I need to make a texture to do so. Thanks

*quick thought: is this .131 of this or the next un-released version?

Sadly stock textures behave strangely, I will continue to research but I am not too sure exactly how the ocean shader works. For now, a custom texture would work better, but a Google search for "free seamless lava texture" should return a nice one. I also will add an option to override the existing shader with an unlit version, in order to make "glowing" oceans, along with a "Hazardous Oceans" system.

And yes, this is the yet-to-be-released version .14, I am almost done with it, so it should be released soon.