[1.3](Jan09/17) Landing Height: Show distance from bottom of your vessel to ground

Diazo

If there is any mod on the forums that should be integrated into the stock game, this is the first one I would pick.

Excellent work.

Thanks for the mod. I found it today and it sounds really cool. One question. Is the parachute taking the changed height into account? Had it yesterday, that the parachute didn't open, because it was set to 500m and I was over a hill (which was heigher then 500m) and crashed due to the wrong altitude. Will this fix it for me?

Thanks a lot!

No, this mod will not affect parachute opening height.

All this mod does is override the altitude display at the top of the screen, it does not change any of the calculations behind the scenes.

So even though the altimeter is displaying the height above ground, the parachute is still using the height above sea level behind the scenes. You would have to mod the parachutes somehow if you wanted to change this behavior.

D.

• 1 month later...

Bleh, nice catch.

I've fixed the GitHub and CKAN release files, but I can't update KerbalStuff without pushing a new version so that file will have to wait until then.

Thanks for pointing that out,

D.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Could you also add another mode to this display to show  "periapsis" and "apoapsis"?  or another mod if it is better...  I just want an Ap and Pe in that window exactly like you have done for this mod.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

oh... Wait it only changes the one at the top?  never mind I was thinking it added the altitude to the small green text area above the navball....  my bad.   but then if you know how to write info to this small navball window then could you add your altitude / Pe & Ap there...    I know not what you mod is doing now, but that is what I was looing for..

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.5

-KSP 1.1, Pre-Release build 1174

-No functionality changes.

And the KSP 1.1 rush has started. This was compiled against the pre-release build 1174 and while it will probably work with the official release version it is not guaranteed. As such I will not be pushing this release to the CKAN until the official 1.1 release hits and I can confirm it works.

Until then, find version 1.5 on my google drive here.

Happy KSP'ing all.

D.

• 3 weeks later...

Should be. I'm not able to test it myself (away from my KSP computer for a couple weeks) but at worst it will do nothing.

It's small enough that even if the mod breaks it shouldn't affect the rest of your game.

D.

Edited by Diazo

• 2 weeks later...

@Diazo So here's a question for you (be aware this comes from someone knowing really nothing about coding)...

Would it be possible to hook into your plug-in for the purpose of measuring distance between objects that aren't ship-to-ground?  In other words, would it be possible to use your plug-in to essentially create a rangefinder part to measure distance between ships/stations/asteroids/whatever?

This isn't a request for you to create this kind of thing, just wondering if your code would be able to provide the functionality to do something like this...

Thanks for any answers/suggestions and this mod that I absolutely never do without! :) 

This mod works using a raycast which probably won't work for you as that would return the distance of the first part it found, not the specific part you want. However, the .closestPointOnBounds  method is probably what you are looking for.

The distance between the closestPointOnBounds of two objects would be the distance between those two parts colliders, which will be the visible game model for parts correctly created.

Note there is no Vessel object to use this on, it has to be between two parts.

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.