[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

3 minutes ago, akron said:

That texture work is so clean and nice. Mine's horrible by comparison. I want to make textures like that when I grow up

Beale is definitely a lot smarter about distorting things to work for him. Those blocks on the bottom are actually mapped as trapezoids on the heat shield...

EDIT: @Beale is that dark gray color lighter or darker than the Mercury/Hermes textures? If it's lighter I think I like it a bit better, plus it would be closer to the lighter color of the Karrot revamp.

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, akron said:

That texture work is so clean and nice. Mine's horrible by comparison. I want to make textures like that when I grow up

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Beale is definitely a lot smarter about distorting things to work for him. Those blocks on the bottom are actually mapped as trapezoids on the heat shield...

EDIT: @Beale is that dark gray color lighter or darker than the Mercury/Hermes textures? If it's lighter I think I like it a bit better, plus it would be closer to the lighter color of the Karrot revamp.

Thanks! :)

But, CobaltWolf is very right, it looks clean, but relies on some lack of detail to hide distortion.

The colour is Grey: 25. I think brighter than Mercury yes.

Edited by Beale

8 minutes ago, akron said:

If you paint as many textures as Beale has you'd be just as good. Practice makes perfect!

Edited by hoojiwana

4 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks! :)

But, CobaltWolf is very right, it looks clean, but relies on some lack of detail to hide distortion.

(In case your didn't see my edit above)

@Beale is that dark gray color lighter or darker than the Mercury/Hermes textures? If it's lighter I think I like it a bit better, plus it would be closer to the lighter color of the Karrot revamp.

EDIT: Every time someone edits a post in a rapid forum back-and-forth, a pupper gets sad.

Also, do you have a list of the remaining parts you were planning for it? Were you going to do separate RCS thrusters for the SM? Just curious so I know what/if gaps need to be filled by my non-canon Gemini parts. Once you have a model of the docking nose cone I'd love to have an FBX of it so I can check it against my ATV docking port and make any necessary changes.

Edited by CobaltWolf

16 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@Beale: alright, ITS EPIC!!! But I have one question. Tell me you're keeping the IVA from the old one. 

I will not keep the old IVA, but will make a new one.

14 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

you'd be just as good

Almost certainly better. :wink: 

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, do you have a list of the remaining parts you were planning for it? Were you going to do separate RCS thrusters for the SM? Just curious so I know what/if gaps need to be filled by my non-canon Gemini parts. Once you have a model of the docking nose cone I'd love to have an FBX of it so I can check it against my ATV docking port and make any necessary changes.

List:

• SM Roll Thrusters
  • SM Translation Thrusters
  • Service Module

Here is the rough model of the nose.

It is just a frustum, so you can have exact dimensions for ATV.

Height: 0.575m
Bottom: 0.625m
Top: 0.4625m

e115635adf.jpg

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

More...

35ced2280c.jpgbc4451e573.jpg55a33eac52.jpgd1eee33496.jpg

Looks fantastic. Have you tried a normal map on it yet?

The docking/science nose could use a little more greeble I think that gives it the appearance of a part that's meant for mechanical docking. I've not looked at Cobalt's Agena parts too much. Do they match with the orthographics I included in the Wings file?

Also, here's one more site that may help with references and modeling:

http://geminiguide.com/default.html

Edited by curtquarquesso

2 hours ago, spacecookie said:

That thing.. looks alive..

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=18775743

Great gemini ! :D

Thanks!

1 hour ago, curtquarquesso said:

Looks fantastic. Have you tried a normal map on it yet?

The docking/science nose could use a little more greeble I think that gives it the appearance of a part that's meant for mechanical docking. I've not looked at Cobalt's Agena parts too much. Do they match with the orthographics I included in the Wings file?

Also, here's one more site that may help with references and modeling:

http://geminiguide.com/default.html

A normal map will have to wait, but good idea! :) 

Greeble can also be added on.

Thanks for the new source.

Service WIP

Proportions are good.

d6d5afa7ca.jpg
eef56cf28f.jpg

@Beale Did you separate the heat-shield and capsule? :0

Also how does the decoupler work? is it built into the SM?

Update:
I just realized that the Black Arrow first stage is almost as big as real black arrow, and the Black Arrow second stage is well over the size of the real second stage. Is there anyway they could be like... scaled down? Maybe a 1.25m first stage and a .625m second stage? And maybe even that .625m WaxWing you showed us a very long time ago. :P

Like really looking at it, Black Arrow is super OP compared to it's IRL counterpart!

Edited by VenomousRequiem

12 hours ago, drekerb42 said:

@Beale It's probably not possible, but there needs to be a way to make the abandoned Gemini parafoil thingy!

Very not possible :) 

13 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

@Beale Did you separate the heat-shield and capsule? :0

Also how does the decoupler work? is it built into the SM?

They are connected.

The decoupler is built into the SM, it is non-staged to prevent accidents.

Sketchfab
Gemini Spacecraft by beale on Sketchfab

b9d9a6a179.jpg
d2a196030d.jpg
6de954f4df.jpg

Edited by Beale

18 minutes ago, Beale said:

Very not possible :) 

They are connected.

The decoupler is built into the SM, it is non-staged to prevent accidents.

Sketchfab
Gemini Spacecraft by beale on Sketchfab

But Beeeeaaaaaaallllle, if the heatshield is built into the pod wouldn't that mean that the player needs to have two heatshields if they're in a Big G configuration? Or if the player removes all the ablator is it no different than not having the module at all?

@Beale Will the RealFuels configs ever get updated? I love using them but lots of engines don't have configs, like the Alnair orbital engine and the Waymaker vernier.

EDIT: Also the Gemini is looking amazing! Can't wait for it! (will it be in BDB or this? I'm confused)

Edited by legoclone09

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

But Beeeeaaaaaaallllle, if the heatshield is built into the pod wouldn't that mean that the player needs to have two heatshields if they're in a Big G configuration? Or if the player removes all the ablator is it no different than not having the module at all?

I worry a separate heatshield would mess-up sizing and overall profile of the craft, how do you propose alternate? :) 

If the player removes the Ablator from the fore part in the Big-G configuration, it should be fine.

1 hour ago, Kaleaze said:

Some links are offline because of KerbalStuff.

Thanks for the reminder, I will have to get TantaresLV on Curse. It may be unavailable for a short time. 

47 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

@Beale Will the RealFuels configs ever get updated? I love using them but lots of engines don't have configs, like the Alnair orbital engine and the Waymaker vernier.

EDIT: Also the Gemini is looking amazing! Can't wait for it! (will it be in BDB or this? I'm confused)

I just don't have the know-how to keep it updated, sorry!

The Gemini is planned for inclusion into BDB. :) 

A little more SM detail. It's very plain, but so was the real thing. It should look better with RCS components.
64ce224687.jpg

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

I worry a separate heatshield would mess-up sizing and overall profile of the craft, how do you propose alternate? :) 

If the player removes the Ablator from the fore part in the Big-G configuration, it should be fine.

The Gemini is planned for inclusion into BDB. :) 

My thought would be to have it like the heatshield for the Hermes in BDB, where I believe both nodes are in the same space. I don't recall ever having issues attaching it. So then you'd have seamless attachment either way.

Also, come to think of it - since there is /already/ a 1.5m capsule in BDB, with it's own separate heatshield, which is going to have its autoshrouds separated into separate decouplers, why bother having it twice? We could delete one or the other to save room on the textures.

If it's alright with you, I'll be posting any dev work I do for my contribution here, to avoid similar confusion.

42 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

@BealeAny chance you will post a Dropbox link once Gemini is done for those of us who don't want to download another mod?

Of course! Just, keep in mind, the capsule is 1.5m - it will not connect well with any Tantares parts.

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

My thought would be to have it like the heatshield for the Hermes in BDB, where I believe both nodes are in the same space. I don't recall ever having issues attaching it. So then you'd have seamless attachment either way.

Also, come to think of it - since there is /already/ a 1.5m capsule in BDB, with it's own separate heatshield, which is going to have its autoshrouds separated into separate decouplers, why bother having it twice? We could delete one or the other to save room on the textures.

If it's alright with you, I'll be posting any dev work I do for my contribution here, to avoid similar confusion.

From experience with the Nested LK lander, this seems like Physics-bug bait to me :wink: 
Please feel free!