[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hi

Im not sure how I should be configering the dishes. I currently have 4 satellites in GSO around kerbin, each of which has dishes linked to KSC, the active vessel and kerbin. The problem is when I launch a vessel with a dish pointed at mission control when I get out of sight it doesn't switch to the nerest avaliable satellite. How should in be configering the satellites to automaticly connect to the nearest other satellite or vessel?

Thanks

3 hours ago, oliverjrose99 said:

Hi

Im not sure how I should be configering the dishes. I currently have 4 satellites in GSO around kerbin, each of which has dishes linked to KSC, the active vessel and kerbin. The problem is when I launch a vessel with a dish pointed at mission control when I get out of sight it doesn't switch to the nerest avaliable satellite. How should in be configering the satellites to automaticly connect to the nearest other satellite or vessel?

Thanks

By using omnis, not dishes...??

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

By using omnis, not dishes...??

Am I correct in saying if I have 3 different satellites pointed at a planet and 1 dish/satellite at that planet pointing at the planet with 3 that it will automaticly connect to the nearest?

Yes... What I'm saying, is that I dont really understand why dishes need to be used AT ALL, for a simple KEO/LKO/Kerbin network.

I put 4 sats (5 if you want longer usable network due to sat drift), with ONLY a Comm32 (or equivalent omni) into KEO...
(If you havent unlocked the Comm 32 yet, and only have Comm16, then the same thing, 4 sats at 750km~1000km will cover EVERYTHING from Kerbin's surface out to KEO)

That covers EVERYTHING from Kerbin surface out to ~6.2Mm (or halfway to Mun)... You shouldnt need dishes AT ALL, until you have craft/missions going out past 6Mm... And then, you only need dishes pointed OUTWARD from your KEO network, to connect your existing KEO outward...

So, yeah, I guess I am just always wondering WHY?, when I see the TONS of RT posts here and on Reddit, of people having connection issues in sub-KEO communications...Especially since it ALWAYS seems dishes are involved... I know when I first started KSP and RT in sandbox, I always built these big, elaborate relay sats with all kinds of dishes and omnis, thinking they were kewl, and with everything but the kitchen sink included, they would already be good to go with future interplanetary networks I would set up later...Well, I found out, as usual, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stoopid) is better...ESPECIALLY when I started playing Career, where funds and unlocked tech come into play...

Am I correct in saying if I have 3 different satellites pointed at a planet and 1 dish/satellite at that planet pointing at the planet with 3 that it will automaticly connect to the nearest?

To use dishes, I believe you need at least TWO dishes per sat, and THREE dishes on the one above KSC... One dish to point at KSC, then two dishes to point at the neighbor sat on each side... The other two sats just need one dish to point at either neighbor... The short range dishes have cones that should be wide enough to catch anything flying within the cone, automatically... But again, this seems redundant, overly complictaed, and certainy NOT cost effective, instead of just using much smaller sats with a single omni... Also, if the cones are "technically" pointed inward at Kerbin from KEO, you shouldnt get any connection from anything behind them, just outside KEO... So you also lose that outer ring from KEO to ~6Mm that you would get with omnis...

Edited by Stone Blue

I need help... I have a modded antenna that I cant get to work with RT for some reason. It had MM patches that USED to work with RT...

I have copied, verbatim, RT MM patches from other, VERY similar antennas... I have tried various tweaks in the patch, and NOTHING works... I'm stumped... Can someone please have a look and hopefully tell me what I am missing?

Here's the verbatim patch, with just the part rename, from a similar antenna:

@PART[bladeAntenna]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]{
	!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
		%IsRTActive = true
		%Mode0OmniRange = 0
		%Mode1OmniRange = 5000000
		%EnergyCost = 0.05

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.5
			%PacketSize = 1
			%PacketResourceCost = 10.0
		}
	}
}

I double checked the part.cfg and cant find anything out of the ordinary...

Edited by Stone Blue

Hey guys sorry if you discussed before in this thread but there are now 160 pages to look.

How does RT interact with outer planets mod. is it compatible and are the antennas provided in RT enough to reach planets from outer planet mod

28 minutes ago, seaces said:

Hey guys sorry if you discussed before in this thread but there are now 160 pages to look.

How does RT interact with outer planets mod. is it compatible and are the antennas provided in RT enough to reach planets from outer planet mod

Opm changes the range of the biggest antenna so that it can reach all the planets.

Edit:

If you want more antennas for opm you can try my part pack "outer space comms". It adds 3 new antennas and are balanced to be used with opm

It's a while since anyone commented on the thread, so either noone is using them or there are no bugs to report

You can find the link clicking on "Sigma mod expansions" in my sig

Edited by Sigma88

@Stone Bluedoes the part already have a "ModuleRTAntenna" module? Because otherwise %MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] will try to force a patch on a module that does not exist.

Probably changing it to the following will do the job:

%MODULE
{
	%name = ModuleRTAntenna
	%IsRTActive = true
	%Mode0OmniRange = 0
	%EnergyCost = 0.05

%TRANSMITTER
	{
		%PacketInterval = 0.5
		%PacketSize = 1
	}
}

26 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Opm changes the range of the biggest antenna so that it can reach all the planets.

Edit:

If you want more antennas for opm you can try my part pack "outer space comms". It adds 3 new antennas and are balanced to be used with opm

It's a while since anyone commented on the thread, so either noone is using them or there are no bugs to report

You can find the link clicking on "Sigma mod expansions" in my sig

Ok thnx

Hi, I'm having an issue that's driving me crazy. Please help me!

I have a vessel orbiting around Minmus (called Hermes M1) with a dish, connected to another dish (Hermes KP1) orbiting Kerbin, and an omni antenna. Thats ok, all systems nominal.

Then, I have another vessel orbiting Minmus, Zetes M1, with another dish and an omni antenna. And, I don't know why, this vessel is connecting to KSC for no reason. The omni antenna is out of range (3Mm range and Minmus is 47Mm away), and the dish is connected to another vessel that is not linked to this. It's like the dish it's working as an omni...

Here are the pics:

1. Dish without target

2. Vessel only connected to other vessel with omni antenna

3. Dish linked to KPII (KPII dish target is NOT this vessel)

4. Vessel connected directly to KSC!

Spoiler

jpTkuZO.pngli2AhVM.pngPe2F6sC.pngBdPLqSN.png

Please help me!! Thank you

PS: This is happening, exactly the same, with another vessel in Mun. Identical vessel.

Edited by Linderoth

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Stone Bluedoes the part already have a "ModuleRTAntenna" module? Because otherwise %MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] will try to force a patch on a module that does not exist.

Phineas, unfortunately, that didnt seem to work either... :(
No, the RT module does NOT exist in the part.cfg... But I thought "%" not only EDITS something that exists, but will CREATE stuff, if it DOESNT exist?

15 minutes ago, Linderoth said:

Hi, I'm having an issue that's driving me crazy. Please help me!

I have a vessel orbiting around Minmus (called Hermes M1) with a dish, connected to another dish (Hermes KP1) orbiting Kerbin, and an omni antenna. Thats ok, all systems nominal.

Then, I have another vessel orbiting Minmus, Zetes M1, with another dish and an omni antenna. And, I don't know why, this vessel is connecting to KSC for no reason. The omni antenna is out of range (3Mm range and Minmus is 47Mm away), and the dish is connected to another vessel that is not linked to this. It's like the dish it's working as an omni...

Here are the pics:

1. Dish without target

2. Vessel only connected to other vessel with omni antenna

3. Dish linked to KPII (KPII dish target is NOT this vessel)

4. Vessel connected directly to KSC!

Dish antennae have a cone which is pointed at the target. Seems KSC (which has long omni range) is inside this cone. You can toggle the cone display from bottom right corner (that cone icon).

So could this be the case? Or do you get connection even when KSC is at the far side of the planet (This could still happen if some other satellite around Kerbin had a cone pointed at minmus).

//Edit

Another option is that if you use dish antennae to connect satellites around Kerbin to each other then one of those cones might sometimes be pointed at minmus.

Edited by Varsi

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Phineas, unfortunately, that didnt seem to work either... :(
No, the RT module does NOT exist in the part.cfg... But I thought "%" not only EDITS something that exists, but will CREATE stuff, if it DOESNT exist?

That is how the % key works, but I don't know why the patch doesn't work. If I can find ksp time tonight, I'll try to check it out. 

2 hours ago, Varsi said:

Dish antennae have a cone which is pointed at the target. Seems KSC (which has long omni range) is inside this cone. You can toggle the cone display from bottom right corner (that cone icon).

So could this be the case? Or do you get connection even when KSC is at the far side of the planet (This could still happen if some other satellite around Kerbin had a cone pointed at minmus).

//Edit

Another option is that if you use dish antennae to connect satellites around Kerbin to each other then one of those cones might sometimes be pointed at minmus.

Hi, Thanks for answering me.

I've taken another screeshot with the cone range activated.

Can dishes connect with omni antennas? I thought that dishes could only connect with another dishes. If so, maybe it's what's happenning here...

PS: Sorry if my english is bad!

Spoiler

2Y9kltN.png

2 hours ago, komodo said:

That is how the % key works, but I don't know why the patch doesn't work. If I can find ksp time tonight, I'll try to check it out. 

@komodo Thanx...

Here's a link to the antenna I'm working with:

Hyomoto's KSI MFD & UHF Antenna

Scroll down and you'll see a pic of the blade antenna, and a link right below. I had it working in previous vers of KSP, but cant with 1.0.5 for some reason... Its a REAL simple part... I have made my own antenna, and modified/patched others, with no issues. The ony thing with THSI antenna that is different is basically just the model/texture itself, which shouldnt have anything to do with getting it working for RT...

@Stone Bluei tried both patches and they work exactly the same. Next stop: check the output of the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file.

Also, if you have placed this patch inside a file with other MM patches, make sure that the patches above it are correct. MM will stop applying the rest of the available patches inside a configuration file if it finds a typo/error in one of them.

7 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Probably changing it to the following will do the job:

%MODULE
{
	%name = ModuleRTAntenna
	%IsRTActive = true
	%Mode0OmniRange = 0
	%EnergyCost = 0.05

%TRANSMITTER
	{
		%PacketInterval = 0.5
		%PacketSize = 1
	}
}

I wouldn't use this patch since %MODULE will basically edit the first module found in that part,

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna]

should work fine,

I haven't read all the discussion your guys are having, but I'm pretty good with MM so if you need any help feel free to ask

@Phineas Freak no, sorry, the original was correct and yours is wrong...

%MODULE[foo] {} will lead to modifying the MODULE of name foo if it exists, or creating MODULE { name = foo } and then letting you modify it.

%MODULE {} will create a MODULE node if *none* exists, or it will modify the _first_ MODULE that exists. Very bad.

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Sigma88 :)

4 hours ago, Linderoth said:

Hi, Thanks for answering me.

I've taken another screeshot with the cone range activated.

Can dishes connect with omni antennas? I thought that dishes could only connect with another dishes. If so, maybe it's what's happenning here...

PS: Sorry if my english is bad!

No such limit. Any antenna can connect with another as long as both have the range to reach each other. Of course no omni will reach from Kerbin to Minmus other than KSC itself.

Hey. Long time user and fan of RT, it's the only mod I feel I simply MUST have.

I'm currently making some parts for a small mod pack of mine, and I have two questions. Basically, I want some probes with buildt-in antennas (and a small ammount of electricity, both generated and stored) and I've been able to use Module Manager to patch a single omni and a single dish to the probes, keeping the functionality of the command module intact. So far so good. However, I need help with the following issues:

1. Is there a way to add more than one RTantenna to a single part? For example, on one of my probes I want one 2,5Mn Omni and two 50Mn dishes. I've tried adding %Mode0DishRange and %Mode1DishRange twice in the same %MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna], and I've also tried adding two seperate %MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] in my patch, but as far as I can tell the second dish will always overwrite the first one. Is there a way around this?

2. Is there any way to make MaxQ refer to a transform node or something like that? I quickly noticed that a big drawback of integrating antennas with a command module is that when the antennas snap the game freaks out and hangs. I can get around it by either editing out MaxQ (boring, considering that the pod is animated and the dishes actually folds out) or by manually changing the root of the vessel to anything other than the actual pod. But if it's possible to have the entire RT module refer to a transform node or possibly a subobject within the mesh, not only would it solve the problem, but it could potentially allow me to direct exactly what parts of the model should break off during atmospheric flight.

Any and all help with this matter would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to using Module Manager and barely wet behind the ears when it comes to CFG editing. In case you need to see what I've got so far, this is what my patch looks like (it could be a bit weird right now, since I've been changing lots of things back and forth in a desperate attempt to get it to work):

EDIT: I have since removed the ModuleSPUPassive entry from my patch. As far as I can tell, it's used to allow antennas the ability to grant remote control to the probe they are attached to, which in my case is redundant considering that the part is also a probe and uses ModuleSPU. Is that correct? It seems to be working as intended in my tests.

@PART[KsatComSmall]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%allowManualControl = false
	}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
		%Mode0OmniRange = 0
		%Mode1OmniRange = 2500000
		%Mode0DishRange = 0
		%Mode1DishRange = 50000000
		%DishAngle = 25.0
		//%MaxQ = 6000
		%EnergyCost = 0.95

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]	{
		%TechRequired = unmannedTech
		%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}
}

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

While we're at it:

I've noticed that RT runs all deploy animations at double the speed. Not just for my parts, but for the patched squad parts as well. Being very green when it comes to coding, my best guess is that DeployFxModule is applied twice during the patching process or something along those lines, though I'm unable to figure out how that happens. The DataTransmitter module is the one that holds the "vanilla" version of DeployFxModule, and it's deleted by the patch, and the only edit to ModuleAnimateGeneric is the one that removes manual control of the animation.

Is there a way around this? I've tried to change the patching order but nothing seems to help. Would it be possible to bake two named versions of the same animation, one running at half the speed, and then edit ModuleAnimateGeneric to make it use the slower animation in order to counteract RT's double speed?

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna],1{doStuff_for_ANT1}
%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna],2{doStuff_for_ANT2},
etc, etc, etc

For the MM module overriding, I would check into the documentation on indexing. I don't have a handy link as I'm on mobile, but it ought to go something like... Ok, mobile being mobile has whacked out entirely... See above apparently for a code hint. Im not certain on % here; it seems right, but double check it. 

In any case, this would be the method to address multiple like named modules. I don't know at all if RT accepts multiple modules in the first place. See if a manual config works, and then nudge MM into generating such, before rending excess hair on correctly working code that doesn't actually do anything :confused:

For model transforms and such, I have absolutely no idea about that. :( 

Having a tough time finding any relevant information about my problem.

I have 6 Kerbals in a heavy command pod in orbit around Minmus, I have Communotron 32s on it and a handful of probes I was planning to launch into various orbits around Minmus, using the command pod as a "command station". The only thing I could find about Command stations in the RemoteTech website are really pretty vague about how Command Stations work. I've got the 6 Kerbals, the Remote Guidance unit, and antennas on everything (all of which are active), and yet when I try to switch to any of my probe cores, I have no connection to the Signal Processing Unit. The only thing I can think of is that my "command station" antenna is attached to the pod, and not the RGU itself, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Any ideas?

Edited by blorgon