[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

[quote name='Barklight']Yeah, I have been using StageRecovery for a while actually. That's an equally amazing piece of work - just started using KCT :) If I can find a good tool for recording (Unity and NVidia ShadowPlay don't like each other very much) I'd probably start recording this super hard mode game and give you some more "here's KCT in action" material.

[U]Off-Topic[/U]: Does your StageRecovery mod no longer give you message log notifications on recovery or failure to recover? I launched a rocket lastnight and discarded my 2nd ascent stage for recovery, it had 2x radial RealChutes on it. I noticed that I didn't get a notification for either a destruction or a recovery, and hadn't been the entire campaign. Is all that just automated now or is there probably something wonky with the game?[/QUOTE]

I used to use Shadowplay without issues with my GTX 770 for KSP, but have switched over to OBS.

There are options to disable recovery messages, but you should still be getting them if you haven't switched them off. If you haven't updated to the newest version then that's probably why. 1.0.5 broke things a little bit, but I haven't gotten any reports of any issues with the 1.5.8 update of StageRecovery (doesn't mean there aren't issues, just that nobody's mentioned them).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing with RO/RSS/RP-0 with various other mods including KCT and RN US Probes.  Lately I've trying to test a few probes I want to send to Venus and Mars but I've been running into problem using KCT's "simulate" option.  When I try to run a simulation of a probe in orbit (whether it's Earth orbit or any other planet), most times the probes I'm trying to simulate are being wrecked apparently do to traveling through the atmosphere at too high a speed.  Of course, since I told the system to simulate in orbit, I never should have actually passed through an atmosphere.  Not sure if there is anything that can be done to fix things so that the simulate option can put a satellite at the right altitude, and then adjust it's velocity so that atmospheric conditions don't come into play.

Also, if you use KCT with RemoteTech, it's very hard to simulate around another planet because there is no way to set the antennae up from within the VAB and the 5 second delay you can set now isn't enough time to actually set the antenna while you're still on the pad.  Is there any possibility of increasing the delay so there's enough time to get antenna turned on and aimed properly?

@chrisl those are both things I'm planning on getting around. Unfortunately until I rewrite the simulation code to spawn the vessel in orbit rather than moving it to orbit you're going to run into the "atmosphere" problem :/ That's one of the reasons I want to rewrite that code. It shouldn't happen at all (and doesn't in Stock) because the vessel is packed.

As for RemoteTech, I've done a bit of work on disabling it for a vessel. If you open up the KCT menu during a simulation you should see a button for disabling RemoteTech. It's not fully functional and it has a few quirks: 1. It works best if your vessel has no antenna on it at all, and 2. you can't re-enable RemoteTech on that vessel. I know I can fix 2, but was having lots of trouble getting it to work when there are antenna on the vessel. I may make the delay adjustable in the mean time (but am planning on removing it when I rewrite everything).

I really enjoy the mod, but I had a potentially simple question: At some past point, the Kerbal Alarm Clock integration was able to be set delete on close the alarms set by KCT. At the current moment, i'm not able to see any setting that seems to apply in either option menu... That is to say, I have to click the delete on close radio button on each alert. This is a very minor thing, but I wondered if I am missing something obvious. (Probably! Or, i'm crazy and imagined the past behavior. One or the other...)

The other more general question I had, is is there a particular set of settings (awkward sentence...) that people use for 6.4x sized KSP? I know that RO ships their own (I think?), but that seems like it might be too ... RO for a 6.4x world. That said, i'm not sure what i'd adjust either, so that was why I wondered if anyone had any feedback.

Thanks!

@komodoThe KAC integration hasn't changed at all and hasn't ever had any configurability other than on/off. I intend on updating it so you can choose what triggers the creation of an alarm and how the alarm should behave, but it isn't a high priority. So you're not missing anything, it just doesn't exist yet!

RP-0 (the career mode version of RO) has a Preset that they use because the way they balance things is very specific. 6.4x probably doesn't need any special tweaks since I don't think things (other than planet size) are altered. If you wanted, you can modify the Overall Modifier, Build Effect, or Inventory Effect to adjust the build times (I can help you with that if you let me know what you're looking for). Or if you're feeling really crazy you can modify all the formulas that are used for calculating time/build rates/costs/etc. If you want to do that, read through the three related topics in the wiki on GitHub, linked here, then come back and I'll help you out :)

Here's a question/feature request. How difficult would it be to make this compatible with Extraplanetary launchpads? Specifically, if I set up a EPL pad at the North pole of kerbin, yes I can build a rocket there from ore, and rocketparts, but could KCT use it's in game select Launchpad to detect that EPL pad at the North pole and build and 'ship' a rocket to it to launch? does that make sense/ are you getting what I'm asking here?

@vardicd I haven't ever looked into it, but I don't think it'd be that easy. That's something better suited for Kerbal Konstructs, which does have support because it's just a matter of changing the launchsite string. EPL uses a totally custom code to launch vessels. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, I could put a vessel into the EPL build queue and set the build status to built. You'd still have to fuel it I think (but that's not too bad if you've got ISRU set up already).

Not a high enough priority for me to look into it at the moment, but if someone else does look into it and points me to the things I'd need to interface with then I'll see what I can do. My reflection skills are improving, so if someone finds the right methods I can probably trigger them even without an API.

27 minutes ago, magico13 said:

@vardicd I haven't ever looked into it, but I don't think it'd be that easy. That's something better suited for Kerbal Konstructs, which does have support because it's just a matter of changing the launchsite string. EPL uses a totally custom code to launch vessels. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, I could put a vessel into the EPL build queue and set the build status to built. You'd still have to fuel it I think (but that's not too bad if you've got ISRU set up already).

Not a high enough priority for me to look into it at the moment, but if someone else does look into it and points me to the things I'd need to interface with then I'll see what I can do. My reflection skills are improving, so if someone finds the right methods I can probably trigger them even without an API.

That's okay, it was just a thought, prompted by the announcement in the kerbal constructs post that 1.05 broke kerbal constructs and the mod is on hold.

Skimming the source, there's a few methods I've found that would make it feasible to do. I'd just have to figure out exactly how to do it. It'd need a new GUI. You'd have to load up the EPL pad, then open the GUI and choose a built KCT vessel to ship to there, then it could possibly be built spawned. The method for spawning the craft is an "internal" method so I'm not positive if I can trigger it. Reflection lets you do things you shouldn't be able to do (like access and overwrite private variables), so I probably can.

It's certainly not trivial, but it doesn't appear to be too difficult. I haven't used EPL or tinkered with the code enough to be sure though. I added it on GitHub to remind me to look into it should I find myself wanting to work on a random side project.

Hello @magico13, I want to thank you for your great mods, they are so cool.
I mean both KCT and Stage Recovery adding so much to gameplay. Really, brilliant mod. I play without reverts (unless it's simulation) or reloads, so I always try to back up my mission with duplicate rockets and supply dropships ready to go.

I've come up with an idea and I beleive it's you who can make it real :)

I'm bothered with kerbal crews quality of life and it would be great to have something cool like TAC LS or KCT to fix 2 moments:

1)Poor Jeb has no vacation or rest (unless his rocket is being build by KCT :) , but still...)

2)Poor Jeb can be cramped in small Gemini capsule for days and weeks (sometimes years)

So... The idea is - kerbals should have vacations based on mission time and "cramped multiplier" (being x days in tiny capsule make them tired) - to make soyz-style crafts (for example HGR sojuice) or hitchhikers useful. I mean if you have 2 occupied seat and 2 free (even better 4 in Hitchhiker) seat, then your Kerman recovers faster from mission. Moonwalk also has a good effect on that (or even landed status). If cramped for too long, thay retire (also all the stuff may take kerbals attributes in account). Or ( :confused: ) make space walk without helmet? 

Also, other penalty could be Remote Tech style delays in your Kerbals actions if they are cramped for too long. 

I think it was already proposed, but... What do you think? Will be perfect addintion to KCT. Kerbals Safety & Wellness ? or Kerbals HR ? Kerbal Labour Union ? Kerbal Mood?

@evileye.x Those are both great ideas, but too far out of scope of KCT itself. I'd love to play KCT with those as other mods however! For your first suggestion, there's a mod called CrewQueue that was being developed that added required vacation time after each mission. Development seems to have stagnated and there are mixed reports about whether it works with KCT correctly. I'd love to see that mod working though as it would go great with KCT.

As for your second suggestion, I know a few people have worked on several mods in the past to address that issue. I'm not sure if any of them got to a playable state though. I don't think I'd have the time to get one up to speed either unfortunately, which would just add another half-working mod to that list.

I love the ideas though and am really hoping some mods come up to implement them! KCT was my first mod and I'd like to think it's fairly "complete" (it's far from being actually complete, but it seems like it's at the point where it can go a while between updates and be ok), so maybe some new modders will come out of nowhere and create some awesome things!

For the kerbal fatigue thing, there is KeepFit, which works pretty well. My only beef with it is the need to configure each crewed capsule individually due to different levels of volume/comfort for each. If it weren't for that, it'd be an instant include in my mod loadout.  But, it might be worth looking at regardless!

I'm using the 64bit workaround and I keep getting the same error about how "the game will be unplayable in this state"  is this an easy fix?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2gb0cp2cwhc6e5/output_log.txt?dl=0

Update: all I did was delete kct and re-installed it and now it works perfectly

Edited by Berlin
Update

20 minutes ago, Berlin said:

I'm using the 64bit workaround and I keep getting the same error about how "the game will be unplayable in this state"  is this an easy fix?

I play with 64bit workaround and getting error when starting new career, but other than that all works fine

24 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

I play with 64bit workaround and getting error when starting new career, but other than that all works fine

I get it during a new career and during new sandbox games. I don't have the button in my tool bar and its pretty annoying.

Update: all I did was delete kct and re-installed it and now it works perfectly

Edited by Berlin
Update

The 64 bit workaround isn't officially supported by me, partly because that error message randomly pops up for seemingly no reason and it's not worth it to me to figure out why, given that 1.1 will have proper 64 bit support and that most people still report that KCT works despite the error message. When 1.1 comes out I will be supporting 64 bit as well, but I also expect it will have way less random bugs.

With that said, I'll still look to see if I can fix any bugs that are reported with the 64 bit workaround, but it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

Edited by magico13

3 hours ago, magico13 said:

The 64 bit workaround isn't officially supported by me, partly because that error message randomly pops up for seemingly no reason and it's not worth it to me to figure out why, given that 1.1 will have proper 64 bit support and that most people still report that KCT works despite the error message. When 1.1 comes out I will be supporting 64 bit as well, but I also expect it will have way less random bugs.

With that said, I'll still look to see if I can fix any bugs that are reported with the 64 bit workaround, but it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

OK sounds good to me. I'm not too worried about it as I see that after entering the VAB and exiting it seems to work fine so its all good

4 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Hey guys, does anyone know why I sometimes get a 'KCT loading error' when I try to launch from a Kerbinside facility?

I've heard kerbinside is [possibly] broken in 1.05, and may not be stable, maybe this is why? {fully accept I maybe wrong about the status of kerbinside} :(

I am wondering how KCT chooses what skin to use? I sometimes get the unity style skin and sometimes the ksp style skin. I prefer the unity skin, but am (for some reason) in my current campaign stuck with the ksp style skin and no way to change it

It's only supposed be using one skin: KSP style background with Unity style buttons/text/etc. If it does something else then another mod might be leaking their skin changes through. I should add a skin switcher in. I've got one for BROKE that I could probably adapt pretty easily.