[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

What is KIS? New mod?

Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) is a new mod/submod we are woking on. It is focused on some actual KAS modules not related to attachement.

All i can say yet is that Kospy showed me the work he did on visual inventory GUI and drag and drop features and... it is really user(player)-friendly and enhance the fun using inventories feature.

Is tiny docking port too big to realistically fit into the KAS container?

Right now, I am working on different container sizes. Instead of having container Type A or B (wich are actually almost the same) you will have a small container for 0.625 part (and smaller), a medium one for 1.25 and even a huge one that should be able to hold some of the 2.50m parts and fit into the Mk3 cargo bay... Enough to solve that problem and bring most of your favorite spare parts anywhere you want :D

I was thinking about adding TDP into KAS attachable and storeable parts, but, I'm afraid it could be too OP.

I didn't discussed with Kospy about this yet. IMO new 0.90 Specialization and experience are great features that can help balancing KAS/KIS and avoiding OP features ;)

Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) is a new mod/submod we are woking on. It is focused on some actual KAS modules not related to attachement.

All i can say yet is that Kospy showed me the work he did on visual inventory GUI and drag and drop features and... it is really user(player)-friendly and enhance the fun using inventories feature.

Right now, I am working on different container sizes. Instead of having container Type A or B (wich are actually almost the same) you will have a small container for 0.625 part (and smaller), a medium one for 1.25 and even a huge one that should be able to hold some of the 2.50m parts and fit into the Mk3 cargo bay... Enough to solve that problem and bring most of your favorite spare parts anywhere you want :D

I didn't discussed with Kospy about this yet. IMO new 0.90 Specialization and experience are great features that can help balancing KAS/KIS and avoiding OP features ;)

I've been creating some fun container stuff too. I made a cardboard box for snacks that uses both tweak scale and KAS. I'm planning some large container stuff.

Question - where in the newly-organized inventory sidebar should I be looking for KAS parts? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

In utility section. Try to find it in sandbox game first. For career mod you need to research them first.

So what's the verdict with 0.9 and KAS atm? What works and doesn't work? Is it just winches throwing a wobbly, or is it all remote attachment gear (pipes/ports)?

Sorry for not testing myself, but I don't have time atm.

Did KAS even exist around 0.9?

Heck, were there even mods in the first place at that version? I don't remember...

In utility section. Try to find it in sandbox game first. For career mod you need to research them first.

Oddly enough, I'm not seeing it there in sandbox either - hrm. I might have goofed when I installed it. Thanks though ^^

EDIT - found the issue, it was an ID-10-T error. =P All is well.

Edited by Doctor Axel

Does this also mean we might see inline containers also? That is always something I wanted to have so my rockets/planes stay aerodynamic.

Well, containers won't be cylindrical as I wanted to make them look like...containers. However, cylindrical openable cargo bays witch you can store containers in, is something we thought about.

here's some references images I used for my design (I tried to make something realistic but couldn't find any real word lunar boxes photographies :():

Wur2RtY.jpg

Now, if you read Tintin : Explorers on the Moon, remember how the characters unload the rocket to assemble the lunar tank. If not, then do (really, it's awesome!) or take a look at this great CG art :

http://www.thescifishow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DestinationMoonGregBroadmore.jpg

That is something we'd love to implement in KSP mixing KAS/KIS features. but there is still much work to do.

Also, a cool (and fun focused) thing with KIS is : how will you manipulate those containers? For the small ones, Kospy's drag and drop system will give a lot of ease to speed up a ship unloading with an EVA Kerbonaute.

But for the larger ones, we don't want it to be so easy and want players to use their engineering skills to do it :D

Edited by winn75

I've been thru both the old thread, and half of this one...Is there a possibility of leaving a download link for the last stable 0.25 version in the first post, for awhile yet?...I'm going to be sticking with 0.25 for awhile yet, before switching to 0.90. (Since 0.90 seems to have implemented some major changes, and I play heavily modded, and most mods arent updated for 0.90 yet...)

Thanx!

EDIT: Duh!...Nevermind...Sorry....I didnt realise till now there is still a couple older vers. listed on Curse.

When I first saw the cargo boxes in KAS I immediately thought of the art from this 1975 Boeing study.

I intend my KAS-using cargo landers to look like this. I think I'll even build a station around Minmus that looks sort of like this.

StationKeeping-small.jpg

I intend my KAS-using cargo landers to look like this. I think I'll even build a station around Minmus that looks sort of like this.

I hope you'll post some screenshots of your creations once we'll release KIS ;)

Ho and...I finished modeling and texturing most of the parts we wanted for the first release btw.

Just thought I'd mention that KAS is currently using ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll instead of 2.5.4, not that it appears to be causing any issues in my Career game atm. Just thought it odd that I had 2 MM dll's and decided to see which mods were using an older version.

Just thought I'd mention that KAS is currently using ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll instead of 2.5.4, not that it appears to be causing any issues in my Career game atm. Just thought it odd that I had 2 MM dll's and decided to see which mods were using an older version.

If there is two MM dll's in folder than only newest is active. Look in MM thread for more info about it, I have read somwhere in changelog or forum about that.

Not sure what happened, but I tried this new 0.90 compatible build today, and upon delivering the supply package containing parachutes to a base on the Mun, my Kerbal couldn't get anything out of the container. One item could be "taken", but it would just disappear, and it wouldn't let me "take" anything else from the container. Later in the Tracking Station I saw the parachute listed as debris on the Mun, and if took a look at it, it was actually under the surface. My Kerbal couldn't get to it to pick it up.