[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

It would be nice if it could update your ship's drag, not based on the ship's current stage/state, but rather a future stage. That way you could get your orbiter into a desired trajectory without having to first decouple the capsule from it yet. (But I'm not even sure if this is possible from a technical standpoint, maybe not).

Agreed, I almost always have a stage that will be ditched prior to reentry that will shift the trajectory quite a bit, so being able to specify which stage will actually enter would be a big plus. Otherwise a really wonderful mod, great job.

Agreed, I almost always have a stage that will be ditched prior to reentry that will shift the trajectory quite a bit, so being able to specify which stage will actually enter would be a big plus. Otherwise a really wonderful mod, great job.

Indeed, I miss that feature too. I've added it in the feature requests (don't know why I didn't add it before).

Also, can we please have KSP-AVC support? It would be just a matter of including a file like this :)
If it'd be possible to add KSP-AVC support, that'd be great. Thanks for your work on this!

I've added the file and created an account on the AVC website, so it should work, starting from the next release. I don't plan to include MiniAVC, but if you install the full AVC plug-in you'll have the functionality.

Also coming in the next release : maneuver nodes, SoI change detection, descent profile and target stored per vessel (and saved/loaded with the game). It's almost finished, should be released in the coming days.

I've released version 0.4.0:

• maneuver nodes and sphere of influence changes happening before atmospheric entry are accounted for
  • descent profile and target position are stored for each vessel, and saved/loaded with the game
  • integration with Blizzy's Toolbar mod (stock toolbar is used if the mod is not installed)
  • integration with KSP-AVC (if it is installed)

If I could make a suggestion, would it be possible for a left click to toggle the display on and off, and right click to open the options menu?

Click on what? The plugin icon in the toolbar? I don't think players will think about trying the right click, and may miss the GUI completely?

Click on what? The plugin icon in the toolbar? I don't think players will think about trying the right click, and may miss the GUI completely?

It's a bit of a default for mods, at least the ones I use. ScienceAlert is one I can think of offhand. If possible, a tooltip could be added too.

I concur with BOTH your concern and the request. What if the default behavior is the same as current, but there's a control in the menu that enables left click to enable/disable display (and relegates menu display to the right-click)?

Impressive mod!

Suggestion: can you ask MechJeb to integrate a button into their Smart ASS to point the vehicle in the direction needed for landing at the target site?

MechJeb has its own landing site prediction. The idea has alredy been answered here

Also, pointing the vehicle in the "needed" direction would be far from working in all cases. The prediction does not account for wing stalling, and also doesn't compute torques, so the proposed trajectory might not be realistic (if you don't have enough reaction wheels for example, you might not be able to follow the proposed trajectory). It's a guide to help you plan your trip, but I don't think it's reliable enough for an auto-pilot. Also, with FAR, trying to follow the trajectory might result in rapid unplanned deconstruction.

Ive tried the 0.3.1a version on 24.2 32bit. Extreme lag in map view, even when disabled in game (from green to yellow x3 time slowdown). Also, using FAR 0.14.1.1a / DRE 5.3.2, ive burned 180deg from ksc and placed marker on top of it. Ive landed 45deg short. Works just fine on airless bodies. v.0.3.0 landed on the marker every time.

So if the mod calculates things fine, that means that the pod had to become lighter during reentry. Does ablative shielding weights anything? That would also explained the lag, as its recalculating every frame when in the atmosphere. Gonna test that.

Edited by Plusk

Just in case you haven't seen, there is a newer version (not sure that would fix anything, just saying). 0.4.0 is still compatible with KSP 0.24.2 (maybe I've forgotten to indicate that on Kerbal Stuff)

The mod isn't officially compatible with deadly reentry, and I do suspect that ablative shields get lighter during entry. Don't know if that can explain the difference though. Just in case, have you set you descent profile to AoA 180° for a backward entry ?

About the lag, can you try by disabling auto-update ? And also take a look at your KSP_Data/output_log.txt maybe there is some hint to what causes the issue.

Ive tried the 0.3.1a version on 24.2 32bit. Extreme lag in map view, even when disabled in game (from green to yellow x3 time slowdown). Also, using FAR 0.14.1.1a / DRE 5.3.2, ive burned 180deg from ksc and placed marker on top of it. Ive landed 45deg short. Works just fine on airless bodies. v.0.3.0 landed on the marker every time.

So if the mod calculates things fine, that means that the pod had to become lighter during reentry. Does ablative shielding weights anything? That would also explained the lag, as its recalculating every frame when in the atmosphere. Gonna test that.

Try deleting and re-installing Trajectories. That worked for me.

Also, I am 95% sure loss of ablative heat shielding is part of why I always land short of Trajectories's prediction: the heat shields are almost solid ablative material, with very little structural mass to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.