What's the secret feature?

SQUAD

It seems plain to me that to make destructible building matter stuff has to have a chance of hitting them.

Currently stuff is deleted at 20km and you do not get a cash return.

Maybe both of those things will change...

/For players who use FAR the destructible launch pad won`t matter as we start our gravity turn really early and a lot of my craft are SSTO anyway.

NOW... IF it is the case that an asteroid might hit KSC and wipe out parts of my facility, then I would probably (and very quickly) warm up a "claw" or two and have then parked nearby Kerbin just in case.

The chances of an asteroid hitting your KSC are incredibly low. Even if you track all asteroids and keep the game at max speed, asteroids will still probably never hit the KSC in your lifetime. Preparing for such a case makes little to no sense.

However, if Kerbal were partially covered with infrastructure (Cities etc.), this would be a whole other story.

The interesting part in this is that a static mesh may be replaced by other meshes on runtime. I could imagine that this opens the path for destructible asteroids, that split up in the atmosphere.

So, IF we get cities and towns, and IF asteroids become destructible, and IF the 20km debris limit is lifted, and IF we have to pay for any destroyed infrastructure, THEN asteroid missions might turn highly relevant.

Disappointing... very disappointing. Why add such a feature when things like: aerodynamics, reentry heating, life support, clouds, sound effects, IVA's, multithreading etc. aren't even in the game yet (all or most are just placeholders).

They just decide to add destructible buildings for.... what reason?

They even ripped off or just plain stole Spaceplane ++ parts and used them in their next update. Why not do the same for FAR, DR, TAC, EVE and B9?

They don't even have a proper game yet and they decide to add something that some mod created by person x/y could have done sometime along this games lifetime.

I have some advice for Squad... start POLISHING the game now! Make the parts STUNNING, add REFLECTIONS, UPDATE THE SFX, ADD REENTRY HEATING, CREATE A PROPER AERODYNAMICS MODEL, ADD LIFE SUPPORT AND IVA's that we can MOVE IN. Start to make this game SHINE in its presentation and design.

I'd say, they're right to use SPP parts, no need to break down an open door here. New SFX are coming. But the rest, though... This is why I don't care much at all for this stupid "hype vehicle" craze. There's nothing to be hyped about, all features I can either live without or can mod in without trouble (part mods are the easiest ones to add). The moment I'll even look at those hype people would be when Squad announces new aerodynamics.

Now I've watched the highlight video from the stream, I have to say well done Maxmaps, that was a very well crafted reveal.

There's now a use for the whack-a-kerbal in the space center screen, apart from making it 'snow'.

They even ripped off or just plain stole Spaceplane ++ parts and used them in their next update. Why not do the same for FAR, DR, TAC, EVE and B9?

They did not 'rip off' the SP+ parts. Please make sure you have a proper handle on recent news when commenting-

While I agree there are other things that could have been prioritised*, but there is no need to shout.

*female kerbal, major fleshout of science/exploration activity.... reflections sound like something that would need bit much GPU power.

They did mention it was a small feature, not a mayor feature, and I think it could be quite fun.

Disappointing... very disappointing. Why add such a feature when things like: aerodynamics, reentry heating, life support, clouds, sound effects, IVA's, multithreading etc. aren't even in the game yet (all or most are just placeholders).

They don't even have a proper game yet and they decide to add something that some mod created by person x/y could have done sometime along this games lifetime.

I have some advice for Squad... start POLISHING the game now! Make the parts STUNNING, add REFLECTIONS, UPDATE THE SFX, ADD REENTRY HEATING, CREATE A PROPER AERODYNAMICS MODEL, ADD LIFE SUPPORT AND IVA's that we can MOVE IN. Start to make this game SHINE in its presentation and design.

1) clouds, sound effects and IVA's would have been way more pointless to do first since none of them affect gameplay at all.

2)they didn't rip off spaceplane +, they are buying the mod from the guy who made it

3) oh yes, I'm sure someone could have modded that in. Oh wait, nobody ever has. And by that logic why add in something like FAR when there is a mod for it?

First of all, there are mods that do a lot of that already, so it's not really necessary to add them in the game now, is it? Plus, the overall visuals and such would be something more suited to fix later in development? There's going to be so much more stuff that's going to be added that if they started now, they would just have to polish every single thing as they made them, and that would be too much a hassle. It would make more sense to polish everything up once you actually have more stuff TO polish up.

Think of it this way: If you were going to wash all of your dishes just before you were going to use some, you would have more dishes to wash afterwards instead of just using them and then washing everything at the same time.

At least that's my thinking in regards to your comment.

Siriously, I feel like this is turning into the Steam forums. Lots of people complaining and ranting without checking facts first, and screaming for squad to add stuff that you could just use a mod for, while also saying that the destructable buildings should have just been modded in. Siriously, *facepalm*

Anything that doesn't drastically affect gameplay can wait until the game is scope complete, especially if there is a mod for that.

Anyway. I'd sure like to see cities on Kerbin in the future, that you'd totaly need to pay for if you were to destroy them with falling debris etc. Also with this feature being in you'd also be able to have parts get damaged/destroyed without vanishing into oblivion. All in all the only fault in the feature was to keep it secret, because, as with anything secret, people got overhyped.

Ok, for everyone who keeps complaining to squad to "polish" the game... STOP. This is not directed to anyone specifically, and I'm sorry if I start any flame wars, but I'm fired up right now. Apparently, anyone who says stuff like "polish the game, SQUAD!" and such is either new, or ignorant of what squad's planning. Yeah, so they added destructible buildings? So they didn't do any of the specific things you said you wanted fixed? So what?! I believe squad has said MULTIPLE times their game plan for the game. Yes, they will add all that fancy polishing stuff, eventually! Right now, they want to add all the core stuff in first. After that, most polishing will come. In fact, their doing us a early flavor by upgrading spaceplane parts by integrating spaceplane+. They could of held this back until scope completion, but they wanted to give us a new reason to build planes. But apparently a lot of people are too blind to see it because all of a sudden they're disappointed by a secret feature reveal that's "pointless."

I'm begging you people! PLEASE don't bag at squad for not adding a feature you wanted "at this moment." It will come in time! Also, you don't need to bag at them over things YOU find pointless. It's not like their forcing you to blow up buildings!

There, I'm done. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

I wonder if destroying your R&D Centre would delete some of your science and data, making you go back to get it again :D I can also imagine a way to upgrade the buildings in the future, which give them more durability, better looks, and some bonus like a higher part limit or more things to research (As in, more tabs like "Building Upgrades", "Efficiency Upgrades" and so on). Using science you could research things like "Advanced Building Materials" and buy them with cash. It would be useful for new players that want to prioritize safety, so they will get more profit in the long run. I heard someone say that the launchpad could carry more weight when upgraded, which is a great idea!

Can't wait for whatever SQUAD will implement that will branch out form this :D

Ok, for everyone who keeps complaining to squad to "polish" the game... STOP. This is not directed to anyone specifically, and I'm sorry if I start any flame wars, but I'm fired up right now. Apparently, anyone who says stuff like "polish the game, SQUAD!" and such is either new, or ignorant of what squad's planning. Yeah, so they added destructible buildings? So they didn't do any of the specific things you said you wanted fixed? So what?! I believe squad has said MULTIPLE times their game plan for the game. Yes, they will add all that fancy polishing stuff, eventually! Right now, they want to add all the core stuff in first. After that, most polishing will come. In fact, their doing us a early flavor by upgrading spaceplane parts by integrating spaceplane+. They could of held this back until scope completion, but they wanted to give us a new reason to build planes. But apparently a lot of people are too blind to see it because all of a sudden they're disappointed by a secret feature reveal that's "pointless."

I'm begging you people! PLEASE don't bag at squad for not adding a feature you wanted "at this moment." It will come in time! Also, you don't need to bag at them over things YOU find pointless. It's not like their forcing you to blow up buildings!

There, I'm done. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Finally! Someone with the competence to know that Developing a physics-heavy game isn't just; " *typetypetype* yeah, that's done. Something else! yeah, this game will be finished in a week!". Some companies have done that with a game. Have you heard of them? no. because they didn't take it step by step and made sure everything worked. Hell, Squad could hace said; "if you buy now, you'll get access to the game when it's finished." Basically they could've scrapped the early access idea and worked on the game silently without people nagging them about how certain things weren't added in certain updates. I know you're dissapointed, but consider the fact that the KSP dev team are spending their time making their game.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. if so, I'm sorry

Some people simply go on forums, don't actually help and simply rage, hate, etc.

For all those who want something different, don't you realise that since v 0.17 people have been consistently demanding new plane parts to replace the ones we currently have.

Really in many cases, the reason developers, from W.O.T to next car game ignore the forums for the most part, is because all people want to do is complain.....

I think I know where at lot of this is coming from, and I feel it too sometimes, fear.

With the recent problems with DF-9 and other early access games falling by the wayside, this fear isn't entirely unfounded.

I think Squad will be fine as they were a business before attempting game development, but anything can happen.

So I think some are feeling that while a lot of these features will surely be polished or added later in development, there is that chance there might not be a later.

It would suck to see such an already beloved game not be able to fill the massive potential it has.

KSP in my opinion is such an important game and the timing couldn't be better with the recent popularizing of science, Space X, all the recent space developments, and NASA's SLS on the horizon. I would have loved to have had something like KSP growing up, and very well could have chosen a different path in life had I. We are all so fortunate to have KSP, and I know everyone just wants to see it reach its full potential and beyond.

That got deep, but the thought still stands.

I've been with this game and community for 2 years; mods are THE ONLY reason I keep playing this game. STOCK KSP is not good enough as a standalone... that should speak volumes in of itself.

Is this a fantastic game? ABSOLUTELY. I've been playing this game almost everyday since I decided to buy it 2 years ago. But when I see updates that add USELESS features that bring nothing new to the gameplay, I cringe. It's not like they don't have OTHER more important things to add to the game! Destructible environments should be added AFTER the fact, not as a feature during the main development process!

Edited by TeeGee

I've been with this game and community for 2 years; mods are THE ONLY reason I keep playing this game. STOCK KSP is not good enough as a standalone... that should speak volumes in of itself.

Is this a fantastic game? ABSOLUTELY. I've been playing this game almost everyday since I decided to buy it 2 years ago. But when I see updates that add USELESS features that bring nothing new to the gameplay, I cringe. It's not like they don't have OTHER more important things to add to the game! Destructible environments should be added AFTER the fact, not as a feature during the main development process!

Unless it's part of career mode, where if you hit the damage the buildings you'll have to pay to repair it. That would be a pretty good reason to do it early. Oh, and seriously? You're complaining that after 2 YEARS of playing a game, only addons are keeping you hooked? When did you last play a game that could be played for 2 years, almost every day, without mods and without getting boring? Because I've NEVER found such a game. I've never had a game that I played for more than 4 or so months without using addons. If you can play a SINGLE PLAYER game for a few months without installing mods, you're playing a game with a lot of content.

EDIT: Grammar

EDIT2: And yes, there are many people who play KSP for many months on stock alone. I could go stock too and play for months, the reason I don't is that I find it more fun with mods. Stock gameplay is already great, with mods it is fantastic. And it will be like that for any game, not just KSP.

Edited by wasmic

I'm not saying you shouldn't hate the stock version; if you feel like mods make the game complete, I'm not gonna stop you there. The point I was trying to make is people need to stop treating KSP like it's completed. There are going to me more features that feel pointless at the time. It's all part of development. But, like they said, this "pointless" feature lays groundwork for something bigger.

'Fancy polished stuff' ---> Destructible buildings.

Give me a reason, other than 'it's funny a couple times', why this feature is useful.

Right now, maybe it isn't useful. Bit if it is laying the foundations for something bigger, I'm all for adding it. I can see modders making use of this too. It's extra functions that can maybe be applied elsewhere.

Collisions may no longer be instant explosions, instead buckling parts. I don't know. But it's another step towards 1.0.

I wonder how many people realize that whining about something being added to a game, tends to do nothing, aside from annoy other users.

So what if they're adding in destructible buildings? Whining about something that's probably close to completion, isn't going to make it suddenly disappear.

It's being done, and that's it. You cannot change that.

I feel like this thread has turned into a big "SQUAD CANNOT BE CRITICIZED YOU EVIL GRUMPY PEOPLE" tirade. Maybe we can dial that back a bit and just let whoever needs to vent have their say, whatever their reason? Mainly because SQUAD is certainly not above criticism and they are certainly not infallible developers, designers, and artists (I notice no one took bac9's advice on the new building, for instance), but also because railing against people who have complaints just feeds the fire while making you look just as "complainey" as everyone else.

Give me a reason, other than 'it's funny a couple times', why this feature is useful.

It's a basic element of Squad's long-stated intention to turn KSP into a Tycoon-style space program management game.

Managing a space centre implies expanding, maintaining and repairing a space centre. To repair and maintain things, you need to be able to damage them. This lays the groundwork for building construction and demolition, and adds a point to the ground based game outside of the VAB.

It also provides something to spend all those √ on. Start with Jeb's Rocket Shack, build it up into a full-scale KSC (or multiple full-scale KSCs, at different locations), then cross your fingers as your malfunctioning new asparagus launcher threatens to plow sideways into the VAB.

Launchpad destruction was a genuine impediment to the Soviet space program. Having to plan for a safe abort adds another interesting challenge to design; I hope they soon include an alternate minimalist launchpad out in the sticks somewhere for high-risk test launches. It also adds a reason to start throwing parachutes on your discarded stages.

If we're lucky, this will eventually include not just KSC but cities Kerbin-wide that actually have an impact on the game (asteroid diversion is a bit less pointless when there's something for it to hit) rather than just being pretty scenery.

Because the feature hints at the possibilities of the underlying system, allowing changes to building at KSC (and perhaps elsewhere).

The destruction mechanism is the first glimpse of a simple change available under the system; a building changes from Functional state to Destroyed state (and back again, costing resources).

Plenty of other structural states, from damaged, unbuilt, researchable, available or upgraded (many states) plus others like rushing construction for extra resources, rushing research which might blow up part of your R&D facility etc

Maybe the system is applicable beyond KSC allowing (abstractly) the ability to add [building] at [Coordinate] on [body] for real permanent base structures beyond KSC

Already been stated a half dozen times in the thread... 1: it means static objects in the scene can be (re)placed (easier kerbtown stuff) and closer to real time

2: Upgradeable buildings and buying completely new buildings, possibly placed where you want them.

3: Bigger career mods

4: 1 step closer to craters around the bodies of the world.

5: demonstrates the new splosions (this is a different reason than "its funny", therefore it counts)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.