[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

4 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Have we some engine which can work on Venus in RO?

Pretty much no engine would work on the surface of Venus, as the atmospheric pressure pushes so hard back against your exhaust. The same effect lowers the efficiency of a rocket engine at the surface of the earth, but that effect is so intense on Venus that rocket propulsion from the surface wouldn't be worth it.

Someone could make a mod for using balloons to float a craft up from the surface of Venus, an existing mod might even be modifiable to do that already, but I haven't looked into it. Exploiting buoyancy would be the way to go.

2 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Pretty much no engine would work on the surface of Venus, as the atmospheric pressure pushes so hard back against your exhaust. The same effect lowers the efficiency of a rocket engine at the surface of the earth, but that effect is so intense on Venus that rocket propulsion from the surface wouldn't be worth it.

Maybe something like RD-180 or RD-191 should work somehow on Venus in theory. There is atomic jet engine from atomic age, it should work, but I want Venus rocket...

Edited by Alexoff

@Alexoff even apart from the pressure (which will reduce even massive-high-chamber-pressure engines' Isps down to very little), you need to build an engine that can _itself_ survive the temperature and pressure. Combustion chambers aren't rated for having combustion-chamber-level heat and pressure on the outside.

21 hours ago, GiantTank said:

What is the biggest RO engine available? I know of the 5x F1 cluster, but is there anything bigger that has a working config? (Not SRBS)

Take a look at the M1 for the Apollo Nova program (that sadly never was):

"Aerojet's M-1 was the largest and most powerful liquid hydrogen-fueled liquid fuel rocket engine to be designed and component tested. The M-1 offered a baseline thrust of 6.67 million N (1.5 million lbf) and 8 million N (1.8 million lbf) as its immediate growth target. If built, the M-1 would be larger and more efficient than the famed F-1 that powered the first stage of the Saturn V rocket to the moon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-1_(rocket_engine)

On 20.03.2016 at 11:14 PM, NathanKell said:

@Alexoff even apart from the pressure (which will reduce even massive-high-chamber-pressure engines' Isps down to very little), you need to build an engine that can _itself_ survive the temperature and pressure. Combustion chambers aren't rated for having combustion-chamber-level heat and pressure on the outside.

So no way to launch from Venus surface?

hey, I'm going to start my first station, and I wanter to ask beforehand. What are the rules for docking ports to connect? in my game there are two APAS-89/95 docking ports. One resembles the normal docking port, and there is an "Apollo docking port" that uses the same model and texture. They also have a bumper that can be deployed. Then there is another APAS-89/95 that looks more like the the passive APAS variant. Here is a picture comparing both:nPhrPR5.jpg

I was wondering this: Would the two be able to dock together? Which should I put on my station and which on the capsules? If I want to add modules to the station, which port should I use?

Question about the Lander Can:

I'm trying to create 'my own Apollo-like' lander or something relatively close and way more ugly...  But proportionally the Mk2 Lander Can seems to be overweight and under-capacity compared to the LEM Ascent Module.

The Mk2 only has 1000L tank volume compared to 2680L on the LM while the LM is only slightly larger when placed side-by-side.  Adding a procedural tank evens the size and gives it the necessary tank volume for fuel, but when full the Mk2 weighs 6 tons when able to produce the equivalent 2500dV as the FASA LM with 4x RCS thrusters and enough supplies for 2x days.  And with all of this the LM only weighs 4.6 tons.  When I add food and water to the Mk2 it topples around 7 tons, yikes!

The only real difference I noticed is that the Mk2 Lander Can has 8m/s crash tolerance, is there anything else that would explain the 3 extra tons of weight?  I promise I haven't loaded any moon rocks yet!

Anyone have any ideas as to why I can't complete these two missions?  I feel like I've done everything right.  All the details are in the screenshots.

EDIT: one thing I noticed was that my mission timer reset when I jettisoned my last engine.  I think that I may have flipped my root nodes around, maybe that's why the missions aren't working?

Edited by rsparkyc

6 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@rsparkyc the timers on EVA and first orbit are different; did you stay in orbit (before EVAing) long enough for the spacewalk orbit-first timer to complete?

@NathanKell yes, I just forgot to take a screenshot of both missions after the timer expired on each of them, but I stayed in orbit for the full 4:30 before EVAing.  Would EVAing reset my timer, causing "Human Orbital (1/LEO)" to fail?

Hi! I I Seemto not be getting any lunar rated heatshields, only for LEO, which makes my lunar returns a bit more exciting than I would want. They are not in any research nodes either. Any ideas?

I am running a standard CKAN installation with RO/RSS. Thanks!

On 21/03/2016 at 10:02 PM, Alexoff said:

So no way to launch from Venus surface?

You could land a spaceplane and use a firespitter electric prop to get you out of the soup then have the centre become a normal rocket.

@rsparkyc I don't think it would; I think it's more likely the weird staging you mentioned earlier. I have done similar missions (get both contracts, stay in orbit for ~5 hours to complete both, then EVA and store data, transmit the data once back inside, then land) and not had problems.

@axelaxel that does sound like a bad install. Try installing only the mods that CKAN recommends (i.e. already has checked -- don't check any others) when you install RP-0.

On 25 mars 2016 at 7:20 PM, axelaxel said:

Hi! I I Seemto not be getting any lunar rated heatshields, only for LEO, which makes my lunar returns a bit more exciting than I would want. They are not in any research nodes either. Any ideas?

I am running a standard CKAN installation with RO/RSS. Thanks!

Make sure you still have the part files for the stock heat shields. I think they are the first Lunar-rated shields. (Squad/Parts/Aero/HeatShield)

One thing I've noticed that that if I have a 1kN engine hooked up to a hydrazine tank, and then disable the tank (to prevent RCS from firing), if I try to run my 1kN engine after reenabling the tank, it stays in a flame-out state.  I've tried cycling the engine state to no avail.  Is this intentional?