For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

So I found a rather interesting scene. I'll spare you the details but in short:

A secret agent realized the person before him is his old nemesis, who should've been killed years ago by the agent himself. The agent asks him how he's still alive when back then it's clear that the agent killed him with a headshot on an assassination mission. The man simply replied:

"That's because, there's a titanium plating implanted beneath my scalp, protecting my skull." (he's a war veteran that do have implants due to his previous injuries)

Now realistically speaking, even if a headshot did bounced off the titanium plating covering his skull (obviously it still penetrates the scalp), the shock of impact itself should still highly damaging towards the brain underneath his skull right? With the impact shock transferring through plating and bone. Even if we pick handgun-level caliber bullet instead of rifles and above

Edited by ARS

5 minutes ago, ARS said:

A secret agent realized the person before him is his old nemesis, who should've been killed years ago by the agent himself. The agent asks him how he's still alive when back then it's clear that the agent killed him with a headshot on an assassination mission. The man simply replied:

"That's because, there's a titanium plating implanted beneath my scalp, protecting my skull." (he's a war veteran that do have implants due to his previous injuries)

Now realistically speaking, even if a headshot did bounced off the titanium plating covering his skull (obviously it still penetrates the scalp), the shock of impact itself should still highly damaging towards the brain underneath his skull right? With the impact shock transferring through plating and bone. Even if we pick handgun-level caliber bullet instead of rifles and above

There are lots of cases where people survived headshots - sometimes b/c of ricochet (a glancing blow is still a head shot).  Other cases where the bullet entered, slid around the inside of the skull without damaging the brain and exited (or remains lodged). 

I personally know a guy who was shot in the face - but suffered no injuries to his brain.  Lost part of his jaw, but that was about it 

2 hours ago, ARS said:

With the impact shock transferring through plating and bone

no more shock than the recoil that was felt when firing the rifle.  Bullets are dangerous because all the force is put into a tiny pointy object focusing the force into a small area, not because of the total force.

2 hours ago, ARS said:

I just highly doubt that medical titanium plate is thick enough to be bulletproof.

5 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

no more shock than the recoil that was felt when firing the rifle.  Bullets are dangerous because all the force is put into a tiny pointy object focusing the force into a small area, not because of the total force.

If you put butt of a rifle against your forehead then pull the trigger (and please, don't do that), you will suffer a serious injury, likely concussion, and possibly brain damage. Broken neck isn't out of the question either.

How the force is transferred matters. For any helmet to be effective, you need not just the armored outer shell, but also significant amount of padding to distribute the impact temporally.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, ARS said:

I've read the discussion on this, and it seems to me that a lot of details are lacking.   I assume the  agent shot his nemesis in the head and saw him go down, so he likely did suffer a concussion and appeared killed from a distance, and should  be nice and bloody too..  But with what weapon, and from what range? Bear in mind this is titanium over skull.

So if this assassination was with a .50cal sniper rifle, then this isn't very believable, due to likely penetration and sheer brain-scrambling-energy delivered. But a handgun, especially from range? I could believe that. As for anything in between, depending on angle of impact, etc....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I've read the discussion on this, and it seems to me that a lot of details are lacking.   I assume the  agent shot his nemesis in the head and saw him go down, so he likely did suffer a concussion and appeared killed from a distance, and should  be nice and bloody too..  But with what weapon, and from what range? Bear in mind this is titanium over skull.

So if this assassination was with a .50cal sniper rifle, then this isn't very believable, due to likely penetration and sheer brain-scrambling-energy delivered. But a handgun, especially from range? I could believe that. As for anything in between, depending on angle of impact, etc....

The agent explicitly stated that he (supposedly) killed the man using assault rifle shot to the head (specifically AK-47) around the effective range of said assault rifle (roughly 200m). The flashback showed that the shot landed on the left side of his forehead head-on (the man does fell and there's clearly blood spurting from his head as he fell) presumably due to the range and visibility, the agent didn't really saw (or don't have time to check)that he's still alive due to the condition of that place during the assassination (it was in the middle of a warzone, with dust storm starts kicking in)

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

This case illustrates how important is to daily train the brain.

Hide contents

train_your_brain_by_ds_lily-d8p58jc-e153

... to deflect bullets with the head muscle.

Warning:

If you follow this poaster's advice you will get a wrinkle in your forehead that no amount of botox can smooth out. 

--PSA from the LA Celebutant Cosmetology Association 

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

.. to deflect bullets with the head muscle

LMAO, either the brain has strong enough psychic power to telekinetically deflect the bullet, or the sheer density of the grey matter alone makes the brain's consistency equivalent of ballistic gel

16 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

Are/were there any launch vehicles with a stage-and-a-half design other than the Atlas?

Plenty who drop boosters but don't think any drop engines. Closest is electron dropping batteries on second stage I think. 
Atlas half stage was an early attempt to reduce weight late in flight. Later rockets tend to use SRB instead as this is both cheaper and more efficient. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

https://en.topwar.ru/95814-raketnyy-kompleks-d-9rm-s-ballisticheskoy-raketoy-r-29rm.html

It drops the 3rd stage/PBV main engine before RV targetting.

Not sure I get it, 3rd stage burn until correct trajectory, then engine is dropped and the stage uses rcs to fine tune trajectory before starting to releasing the warheads. 
I assume engine was dropped since the original 3rd stage was just for minor fine tuning the trajectory and the heavy engine would do stuff like change the center of mass backward a lot? 

On 10/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, AngrybobH said:

You are correct in the main, but I will quibble a bit.

Several factors can affect felt recoil, that make it a lot less traumatic to fire the gun than to catch the bullet.  As you imply, the greatest is the mass differences between the bullet and the gun itself, which will have a greater moment of inertia than the bullet (used intentionally, b/c barrels are rarely in-line with the COM - and thus recoil is really a torque motion).  A lot of energy is expended just to get the gun moving - and recoil climb also keeps the shooter from getting the full brunt of the force.  IOW - the gun does not just go back, it goes up as well.   Positioning can have an impact as well - firing from a bipod will transfer some energy to the ground. 

Also , if the gun is actually a machine - i.e. a semi or fully automatic weapon, there will be a mechanism - usually with a spring that will turn some of the recoil energy into work.  Having some kind auto reloading feature will reduce felt recoil considerably. 

Case in point - I recently shot a semi-auto .50 cal Barrett sniper rifle.  The shot was from the prone position with a bipod.  The overpressure from the shot was more noticeable than the recoil.  In fact, shooting a .308 SCAR (kneeling) had more felt recoil than the Barrett, given the dramatically different weights of the the guns, as well as how I shot them, despite the 'Fitty being a heck of a lot bigger round. 

15 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

3rd stage burn until correct trajectory, then engine is dropped and the stage uses rcs to fine tune trajectory before starting to releasing the warheads. 

The big single engine behind gets detached from the common fuel tank and dropped after the boosting phase.
The small lateral engines are still being used to put the reentry vehicles on their personal trajectories.

That's because it is SLBM and can be launched both close to a target of from thousands kilometers.
So, they drop the excessive engine when it isn't required anymore.

Edited by kerbiloid

You are correct in the main, but I will quibble a bit.

Several factors can affect felt recoil, that make it a lot less traumatic to fire the gun than to catch the bullet.  As you imply, the greatest is the mass differences between the bullet and the gun itself, which will have a greater moment of inertia than the bullet (used intentionally, b/c barrels are rarely in-line with the COM - and thus recoil is really a torque motion).  A lot of energy is expended just to get the gun moving - and recoil climb also keeps the shooter from getting the full brunt of the force.  IOW - the gun does not just go back, it goes up as well.   Positioning can have an impact as well - firing from a bipod will transfer some energy to the ground. 

Also , if the gun is actually a machine - i.e. a semi or fully automatic weapon, there will be a mechanism - usually with a spring that will turn some of the recoil energy into work.  Having some kind auto reloading feature will reduce felt recoil considerably. 

Case in point - I recently shot a semi-auto .50 cal Barrett sniper rifle.  The shot was from the prone position with a bipod.  The overpressure from the shot was more noticeable than the recoil.  In fact, shooting a .308 SCAR (kneeling) had more felt recoil than the Barrett, given the dramatically different weights of the the guns, as well as how I shot them, despite the 'Fitty being a heck of a lot bigger round. 

Here's a bit of bullet trivia - if you were to shoot a semi-automatic horizontally from the observation platform of an oil rig, the spent casing and the bullet will hit the water almost simultaneously.  One will just be a lot further away. 

New forum acting weird today 

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Here's a bit of bullet trivia - if you were to shoot a semi-automatic horizontally from the observation platform of an oil rig, the spent casing and the bullet will hit the water almost simultaneously.  One will just be a lot further away. 

Yep, since the vertical acceleration is practically the same between them. IIRC there's a Mythbusters experiment for this, even considering there's atmospheric drag and whatnot they pretty much hit the ground at the same time