[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

3 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Thanks a lot mate! This mods makes the game feel a lot more... physical.

No problem. 

One other thing that pizza may want to be aware of is ParticleEmitter has been deprecated.  I'm not sure for how long, but while it works for now it might not forever.

Edited by Alshain

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Small update.  I realized one of my changes left a potential for unlikely but still possible null reference exception (if for some reason a part had ModuleWheelBase but not ModuleWheelDamage).

https://github.com/Alshain01/CollisionFX/releases/tag/3.3.2

7-zip tells me the compression format isn't supported. Did something go wrong during packing? Last one worked.

Edited by Temeter

2 minutes ago, Temeter said:

7-zip tells me the compression format isn't supported. Did something go wrong during packing? Last one worked.

Seems to be working for me, even from the download.  I'm just using the standard windows integrated zip support.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Seems to be working for me, even from the download.  I'm just using the standard windows integrated zip support.

Used the windows zip functionality and it just worked fine. Strange, maybe it's a bug in 7-zip, or some rare edge case it couldn't handle.

Well, it works now. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Temeter said:

Used the windows zip functionality and it just worked fine. Strange, maybe it's a bug in 7-zip, or some rare edge case it couldn't handle.

Well, it works now. Thanks again.

Just so you know, 1.2 changed a lot of biome names and added new ones. As such you need to open your settings.cfg and add them as dust colors before they will work.  But the plugin works now.  For example, on Kerbin what was Tundra is now Ice Caps and what was Ice Caps is now Northern Ice Shelf or something like that.

I don't have time to work on that, but if someone wants to I could put a package together on Github to include them.

Edited by Alshain

45 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Just so you know, 1.2 changed a lot of biome names and added new ones. As such you need to open your settings.cfg and add them as dust colors before they will work.  But the plugin works now.  For example, on Kerbin what was Tundra is now Ice Caps and what was Ice Caps is now Northern Ice Shelf or something like that.

I don't have time to work on that, but if someone wants to I could put a package together on Github to include them.

Thanks for the warning.

I think almost all planets got a bit of an overhaul, so that would require quite some digging, but it seems like a relatively minor issue short term.

@Alshain if you wouldn't mind a bit more explicit install instructions?  I don't usually get mods from Github.  There's download links on a few different levels, there's the DLL-only linked above, but it's not obvious where the DLL is supposed to go, or if it's included in the master or source code links...

I did give it a go, installed something that looked right, but it didn't seem to do anything in-game

Edited by fourfa

10 hours ago, fourfa said:

@Alshain if you wouldn't mind a bit more explicit install instructions?  I don't usually get mods from Github.  There's download links on a few different levels, there's the DLL-only linked above, but it's not obvious where the DLL is supposed to go, or if it's included in the master or source code links...

I did give it a go, installed something that looked right, but it didn't seem to do anything in-game

You have to install the version on curse, then overwrite the DLL in the plugins folder with the new one.

Edited by Alshain

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2016 at 9:46 PM, Alshain said:

I could work on that, but do ice and snow biomes really needs FX? I mean, even in real life, there is nothing when you slide on ice.

7 minutes ago, Wolfair corp. said:

I could work on that, but do ice and snow biomes really needs FX? I mean, even in real life, there is nothing when you slide on ice.

You have to install the version on curse, then overwrite the DLL in the plugins folder.

2 hours ago, Wolfair corp. said:

@Alshain 

What is the color code used? CMYK?

If there is no particular code, do you have a table of colors?

Thanks.

I think most of the necessary coloring is already in the config file, it's just that the biome names need to be checked and confirmed that they do actually exist in the game now.  None of the planets have had their colors changed, but if you do have a new biome that needs a new color, just make one that looks like it belongs.

@Alshain 

Good new is I finished the refresh of settings.cfg, based on Kerbal Wiki:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ecjGtmpCT1U083UEl1OUpUbzA

Changelog provided in the file.

Spoiler

- Changed order of biomes based on the Kerbal Wiki
- Added 9 Eve Biomes
- Added 2 Kerbin Biomes
- Added 2 Mun Biomes
- Added 10 Duna Biomes
- Added 5 Laythe Biomes
- Added 5 Vall Biomes
- Added 4 Tylo Biomes
- Removed 1 Tylo Biome
- Removed 1 Bop Biome 
- Added 6 Eeloo Biomes
- Many Colors Changed (Example: Kerbin's Water = Sandy changed to Light Blue)

Edited by Wolfair corp.

@Alshain& @Wolfair corp. thx for your work and sorry but it works on ksp 1.2.1.1604   64 bit win version with the ``NEW dll``

sparks on the runway and on other terrain collisions dust (no sparks)

exept the wheeldust isnt there (idea:dust just above a specific speed )

but i dont test it every biom :/ (i will give issue report from biomcolors when i found some )

Northern Ice Shelf -dust is white/Tundra & Grassland -brown .  Looks good

thx again for efforts

PEACE kan

It works or it doesn't work?  I'm a little confused.  Remember, the effect is velocity based as you are skidding across the ground, so you won't see it if you make a straight impact and explode.  You won't see  it as much if you are going slower.  The effect also does not currently apply to wheels.  Wheel "kick up" dust was not featured in the last version from the mod author and I did not change that.

The best way to really 'prove' the mod is to design a wheel-less craft that can skid at high speeds. (warning, there is a little camera weirdness in this video, epileptics beware)

Edited by Alshain

@Alshainsorry for confusig u ,but as long as i can see u prove that it function well.

thx for that and the DLL

(exept the wheeldust,i thing it was implemented before)excuse me when im wrong.

@Wolfair corp. exactly, just overwrite the old with the ``NEW DLL``in Plugins Folder

thx for the new cfg (tested only on kerbin right now and the colors looking good on the bioms that i test it. Northern Ice Shelf /Tundra & Grassland )

PEACE kan

@Burning Kan I don't know if it was implemented on the wheels before or not, but the effect is very explicitly removed from wheels in the last code set from pizzaoverlord. It's clear he did it intentionally.  Personally I think the wheels should create the dust effects but not spark effects, but I didn't intend to add new features, just fix it to work "as-is".

This mod is HILARIOUS and AWESOME.  I don't ever want to play without it, now that I got it to work! (took a couple of tries to grok the updated DLL I guess)

However... I was having bizarre orbital rendezvous problems once I did.  I'd be approaching a space station at 5m/s, and suddenly at ~200m distance a huge phantom force would occur and instantly add 12-20m/s sideways.  Makes docking hard, I tell you.  I have no idea why this mod would have anything to do with it, but the logs have its name all over (as far as I can tell), and when I uninstalled it, the problems went away.  No idea what more I can tell you

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lo1538m0cehuu9k/AAD2yrXK4kRprCDWHwumiQpTa?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.