New Horizons

r4pt0r

Are you sure it is applicable for stereo viewing?

It is but it's not great either. The subspacecraft longitude changed by less than 0.6 degrees between the two images. This is the blink comparison, as you can see a very minal difference.

giphy.gif

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/nh-pluto-stero.jpg

Stereo image of Pluto. This also works as a 'cross eye' image.

I can't do cross eye anymore but it works great on my "Google cardboard" implementation, which is just me holding my phone up in front of my face. But it looks a lot like a physical object. One of the better stereo images I've seen in a while. I think the subtle difference in the angles is a bonus, not a detriment.

It almost looks like Sputnik Planum is slowly boiling/bubbling up from below and flowing off to the south, into Norgay montes.

Well they also pointed out the methane emissions from there, so it could be some kind of super slow moving volcanic type action. And I agree, it looks very fluid in geologic timescale.

What did you learn about Pluto this week?

- - - Updated - - -

Has 5 moons, Char-on to be considered as a dwarf planet, more pictures to come, re-evaluation of Kuipler belt. Weirder than previous imagined.

Debate over whether it is Plutos, Plutonic or Plutoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto#/media/File:Pluto_by_LORRI_and_Ralph,_13_July_2015.jpg

Edited by Lohan2008

kinda like a hole a pfffttt very fast south ...

or very hot(//acid) from south to north ...

i would be curious to get an altimetric difference in height report of this area (Norgay to Tombaugh), the vitrified aspect but in the middle (different material or °) and the conic shape from south (kinda like lava).

AL8EMYa.jpg

-------------------------------------------

by0JqKs.jpg

t0

t1 blurp

t2 spreading + side corrosive spreading

t3 whirlpool in//out

t4 ?

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
Merging sequential posts

I was wondering something :

Can the tidal relation between Pluto and Charon induce some kind of energy release in the form of tiny almost undectetable orbit changes ?

These forces making its orbit more and more eccentric, and more and more elliptic.

An hypothesis came to my mind looking at Pluto's orbit :

Pluto was actually originally a Neptune moon. Got slingshoted into solar orbit by something really big passing by. Any more chances than the 10^-10 probability ? :wink:

I was wondering something :

Can the tidal relation between Pluto and Charon induce some kind of energy release in the form of tiny almost undectetable orbit changes ?

These forces making its orbit more and more eccentric, and more and more elliptic.

Pluto and Charon are tidally locked. There is no squeezing in action. It used to be the case, now it's not.

Pluto was actually originally a Neptune moon. Got slingshoted into solar orbit by something really big passing by. Any more chances than the 10^-10 probability ? :wink:

Such body would have to be pretty enormous, so it would perturb Neptune itself pretty badly, IMHO.

Such body would have to be pretty enormous, so it would perturb Neptune itself pretty badly, IMHO.

Neptune is still pretty messed up about the whole thing, last I heard he made some dude suffer on an Island for like 2 decades while other men played with his wife.

(space reserved for face palming).

You're not the first to hypothesize this. Unfortunately, Pluto's current resonance orbit with Neptune precludes this pretty effectively.

Just a quick thanks to Frida for all the info being posted on this and other threads!

I want to thank you, it's really a pleasure to discuss such exciting times and events with intelligent and nice people like you guys ;-)

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting the graphic, but it proves Charon doesn't have an atmosphere right?

Correct! They said they were waiting for the spectral data, so there could still be a very thin layer, but probably not even that.

Also, they just released this RAW image of Charon. Kinda looks very zoomed in to me, quality isn't really great (I know it's lossy, but still)

lor_0299175604_0x632_sci_3.jpg

Basic contrast brightness exposure adjustments:

lor_0299175604_0x632_sci_3_2.jpg

Edited by Frida Space

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.