New Horizons

r4pt0r

The dunes are on the second photo in Frida Space's post. The dark area near the middle of the photograph has a rocky composition near the top and dune features near the bottom.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/pics/Dark-Areas-9-10-15.jpg

What is the weight of Nitrogen particles? Or Methane particles? Is there any way to assume wind speeds by pressure and temperature?

I made comment about the 'dunes' a while back, only what I was referring to were the 'dunes' visible (in that same image) in the light areas both to the left and right of that central 'island' as well as the bottom. But as I've seen in nearly all the images, there is an evident 'rippling' throughout all the structures everywhere ... which I previously commented as looking like a pile of snow melt.

Here they come! (snip)

Totally surreal images, it's hard to fathom something this geographically distinct so far out. Thanks so much for finding these - whats the source? I can't seem to find the official NASA-hosted uncompressed images anywhere.

Totally surreal images, it's hard to fathom something this geographically distinct so far out. Thanks so much for finding these - whats the source? I can't seem to find the official NASA-hosted uncompressed images anywhere.

:) RAW versions (still lossy BTW - lossless images will be downloaded only starting from mid November) will be published today, along with more images of Charon and the other moons.

Those don't look like dunes to me. I'm inclined to think that is a very old (hence lots of tholins) water ice glacier, with compression features.

https://glacierchange.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/lemon-creek-glacier-2007.jpg

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/uploads/tx_coodata/ml_shutterstock_558594.jpg

heh, i used to live down creek from the first one. never actually went to it but i always wanted to.

Those are some beautiful images. Do you know where they were taken?

The first one is Lemon Creek glacier, as noted in the URL, and the other one I have no idea. :)

heh, i used to live down creek from the first one. never actually went to it but i always wanted to.

Looks like a deathtrap to me. A beautiful one, though.

20150911_nix_stacked.png

New image of Nix! This one above is actually the result of a 4 image stacking done by Emily Lakdawalla. The RAW version is available here: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounter/data/pluto/level2/lor/jpeg/029916/lor_0299167136_0x630_sci_3.jpg

And a colorized (MVIC) image:

COpCa0tUEAAOzu4.png:large

Edited by Frida Space

Pluto really looks really beautiful.

Since Tombaugh Regio is a really huge glacier, i think it might be apart of a Plutonian ice cap, much like Neptune's moon Triton has an ice cap. Anyway, speaking about Pluto--does it snow on Pluto? I'd presume the snow might be nitrogen, obviously and prominently, of course.

They released a mosaic of the entire disk of Pluto to a crazy resolution!

Here is a false color processing (monochrome many details are lost)

Hanno rilasciato un mosaico di tutto il disco di plutone a una risoluzione pazzesca!

Ecco un elaborazione in falsi colori (in bianco e nero molti dettagli si perdono)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5673/21335944185_7d0bbf5a9e_o.png

21335944185_7d0bbf5a9e_o.png

They released a mosaic of the entire disk of Pluto to a crazy resolution!

Here is a false color processing (monochrome many details are lost)

Hanno rilasciato un mosaico di tutto il disco di plutone a una risoluzione pazzesca!

Ecco un elaborazione in falsi colori (in bianco e nero molti dettagli si perdono)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5673/21335944185_7d0bbf5a9e_o.png

Incredible composite!

However, the color is not very consistent with what NASA has been releasing so far. After all, this is an amateur work so caution is needed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've pulled out Hydra from the raw images and adjusted the contrast to neutralize the background noise. No magnification or stacking whatsoever.

hydra_LW.png

Are those rings? Or just a funky atmospheric distortion?

just haze layers, at least 12 until 100 km of height! Unbelievable. Here is what seems to be a near surface haze-fog along the terminator

nh-apluto-low-haze-9-17-15-updated.png

Another spectacular closer look at that panorama: the Norgay Montes in the foreground (~3500 m), the Hillary Montes on the horizon (~1000-1500 m) and, right, Sputnik Planum. Remember, those are (probably) mountains made completely of water ice.

nh-apluto-mountains-plains-9-17-15_0.png

Edited by Frida Space

Also, what appears to be a nitrogen ice transport (perhaps part of a broader cycle?) from Sputnik Planum to the bumpy lands just east. The transport seems to occur through 3-8 km wide glacial valleys, pointed by the red arrows. The blue ones show the direction of the ice flow.

nh-2flow-detail-hiphase-annotated-9-17-15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I thought in post #1595 I had posted the full panorama, but it seems not. Here it is:

nh-apluto-wide-9-17-15-final_0.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.