Devnote Tuesdays: The "Beta Than Experimentals" Edition

SQUAD

Debating whether to post anything or not, knowing I can't be specific... hmm. Realizing it's literally my job around here to create interest!

Squad, I love all of you, but I seriously think you aren't hyping up this update enough. From the player's perspective, this is the biggest, most feature-rich update ever!

The career mode improvements are cool, the mk3 parts are very cool, but the vehicle editor changes...! Good God, y'all, building new stuff is the absolute core of this game whether you're a career or sandbox kind of player. And the complete overhaul of the editor is freaking fantastic! Does anybody remember when we gained the ability to radially attach parts at different angles? How countless new possibilities in vehicle design magically opened up then? Or remember when we got the SPH in addition to the VAB? This is waaay bigger than that! Whether you build replicas of real vehicles or create your own ideas, whether you're into realism or fantasy, stock or modded... this update will make designing vehicles just so much all-around better, you'll wonder how you ever managed in those archaic pre-gizmo days.

Seriously. Not exaggerating, not even a little bit. More hype is called for. That's all I have to say about it.

Not meaning to sound ungrateful, but there's tons of community-raised bugs (and sometimes fixes), some of which have been waiting to go into a build for quite a while. Specifically Mr Claw's most excellent "Stock Bug Fix Modules". Any chance of (some of) those making it in? Especially the Kerbal ejection / ladder slide one? Pretty Please? :)

Well, not that it matters for me - won't get to play till mid-January again anyway :(

Still, totally stoked about the upcoming release and hoping I'll at least be able to get a look at the 0.90 release somewhere before then! So do keep up the excellent work, and enjoy your holidays once you get to them!

It'd be nice if they got at the radial decoupler bug as well. I'm getting sick of having to super-Sepratron everything.

But also: yay for new Kerbalage. I get to briefly go back to a relatively stable minimum-mod install for a while. :) And a whole new range of spaceplane bits to build with; the new bays should allow my program to go 100% reusable SSTO.

Although I still am not sold on the KXP concepts currently in the pipeline, I'm still eager to try it out and provide my impressions. More importantly, I eagerly await further bug fixes and reliability improvements - if those do not appear, then I will eagerly await an auto-quicksave and restart mod ;-)

I wasn't aware you had deadlines for releases?!? I always thought releases happened when they happened. :D
There's... an actual release deadline? Do I believe my eyes!?

There are always release deadlines. It's just that you're confusing them with a release date.

The former is an internal target for the team to plan around. The latter is an official announcement to the public, which Squad avoids making. Nobody has ever said anywhere that Squad is working without internal deadlines, however.

Isnt the SAS going to wor as it used to, and just gain the ability to point at certain things on the navball as we progress in the tech tree? I dont think Devs would want to break it for so many that got used to it already, so I worry not about SAS changes.

What I worry about though is the new landing gear. Would be awesome if we got those without any delay.

Anyway, I'm sure I will enjoy the update!

Please, please, please, take your time and do it right. Too many game developers are trying to make the Christmas rush and they're putting out cr@p! Don't fall into this trap. You guys are better then that. Yes, I'll be disappointed. Yes, I'll whine and cry like a baby. But, I'll gladly give you my money if you do this right.

Please, please, please, take your time and do it right. Too many game developers are trying to make the Christmas rush and they're putting out cr@p! Don't fall into this trap. You guys are better then that. Yes, I'll be disappointed. Yes, I'll whine and cry like a baby. But, I'll gladly give you my money if you do this right.

It's important that we realize that they might not be "rushing" things up in order to release the patch before Christmas for our sake, but for theirs. The devs are people (I assume), and they have earned their rest (and even if they haven't, work laws in Mexico probably assure their right to a vacation). They want to see their families in the holidays, and a few of them in fact owe their new wives a honeymoon! From their point of view, it makes sense to have everything wrapped up before a break, rather than going away for a few weeks in the middle of the process.

I would much prefer a tech tree like this! that way we get to focus our science on the individual parts we want to unlock.
The tech tree certainly warrants a look at, but IMHO having the engines and fuel tanks in separate places is silly and annoying. There's encouraging the player to be creative with a limited subset of parts, and then there's making them do horrible kludges. Tanks in separate tech nodes from engines falls into the latter, with the added bonus of pushing the player onto a path - lots of small tanks feeding a big engine - that will give bad game performance.

I know you probably want to get it out before the holidays, but I'd rather have a good release late than a buggy release at all. If it doesn't happen till after New Years ... well ... we're mature enough to not throw a fit over it.

Amen, my brother.

The tech tree certainly warrants a look at, but IMHO having the engines and fuel tanks in separate places is silly and annoying. There's encouraging the player to be creative with a limited subset of parts, and then there's making them do horrible kludges. Tanks in separate tech nodes from engines falls into the latter, with the added bonus of pushing the player onto a path - lots of small tanks feeding a big engine - that will give bad game performance.

Separate tabs in the craft design user interface, not separate sections in the research tech tree.

If they were smart they'd pop the release when Steam starts its winter sale (19th or so). All eyes on Steam then, and a brand new beta KSC would scoop up a fair bit of conversion.

And I'd have a wonderful excuse to start nagging my friends to get it then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.