[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

Hey wonderful texture wizards--am looking to create a couple of custom IVA suit sets for use in my comics. Have researched a bit after downloaded some other folks' packs and think I can do what needs to be done with some unholy combination of paint and powerpoint. (Unfortunately existing packs such as Gregoxmun's and others will not do--I have a certain vision of what the Kerbfleet suits need to look like which is different from Starfleet or anything else :) )

Here's where I need a bit of help--can someone point me to a very basic stripped set of files to start from? Ideally I would like to start from SQUAD's white/orange suit models but I know that may not be possible. Thank you in advance, and of course if I manage to pull this off I will make the packs available here.

Hey wonderful texture wizards--am looking to create a couple of custom IVA suit sets for use in my comics. Have researched a bit after downloaded some other folks' packs and think I can do what needs to be done with some unholy combination of paint and powerpoint. (Unfortunately existing packs such as Gregoxmun's and others will not do--I have a certain vision of what the Kerbfleet suits need to look like which is different from Starfleet or anything else :) )

Here's where I need a bit of help--can someone point me to a very basic stripped set of files to start from? Ideally I would like to start from SQUAD's white/orange suit models but I know that may not be possible. Thank you in advance, and of course if I manage to pull this off I will make the packs available here.

Up a few post (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-4-TextureReplacer-2-4-7-%284-7-2015%29?p=2116932&viewfull=1#post2116932) tells how to get the textures out. I found the white suit along with suits for the guys running around in the hanger and both suit and head textures for the game aid guys (the ones in the popup and such). But I did not find the orange suit.

Also noticed that one of the custom head packages has normal maps for the head, but I found none in stock. Guessing if added, they are used.

Up a few post (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-4-TextureReplacer-2-4-7-%284-7-2015%29?p=2116932&viewfull=1#post2116932) tells how to get the textures out. I found the white suit along with suits for the guys running around in the hanger and both suit and head textures for the game aid guys (the ones in the popup and such). But I did not find the orange suit.

Thank you! Will attempt. If this means I can have models of some non-kerbonauts running around the KSC grounds it will expand my graphic possibilities :)

It is possible, reflections should always keep normal maps. Only emission and reflections can't work together (unless someone makes a shader for that).

Here you can see working normal maps on Mk1-2 with the sample config file that used to be distributed in Extras/ folder of TR.

XygTdEw.jpg

Edited by shaw

I have run into a bit of a problem. I have several heads in the heads folder (52 plus 3 NRM's for 3 of the heads). I found one of the kerbals has a solid black face cept for the eyes. The selector option doesn't say which file, so while I see the black face there also, I don't know which texture it is. It would be nice if it showed the file name for the currently selected textures in that window. I'm kinda wondering if it's trying to use one of the NRM's as a texture though I would expect it to be the color you see when viewing those maps, not solid black.

I have run into a bit of a problem. I have several heads in the heads folder (52 plus 3 NRM's for 3 of the heads). I found one of the kerbals has a solid black face cept for the eyes. The selector option doesn't say which file, so while I see the black face there also, I don't know which texture it is. It would be nice if it showed the file name for the currently selected textures in that window. I'm kinda wondering if it's trying to use one of the NRM's as a texture though I would expect it to be the color you see when viewing those maps, not solid black.

Textures are in the same order as loaded by Unity, so lexical by ASCII codes. The black texture is probably caused by an image that Unity failed to load, most likely a TGA. TGAs sometimes fail to load since KSP 0.24, so convert them to something else (preferably a compressed + mipmapped DDS to speed up loading).

@shaw: what are the recommended pixel dimensions and file type for navball textures?

Dimensions don't really matter, I use 599x300 DXT1 without mipmaps (it's the navball texture from RPM converted to DDS). DON'T GENERATE MIPMAPS or navbals will be too blurry.

Does TR know to auto look in sub folder off the heads folder? I want to split off the male and female heads into two sub folders

Yes, that works perfectly for both heads and suits, but the directory then becomes a part of the texture name, so you need to specify it in a config file too. E.g. if you move heads to "Heads/TR" subdir, you need to change "femaleHeads = head1 head2" to "femaleHeads = TR/head1 TR/head2". Separator is always "/" no matter which OS you have.

Edited by shaw

hi shaw, I have a question about TextureReplacer.

I want to change the color of the sun corona, I was able to do this by putting the new texture in:

GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/suncoronanew.dds

would it be possible to keep the texture inside my mod's folder and write a config that will tell TR to replace the stock corona with the texture I'm providing?

I want to try making my own head/suit textures using the stock textures as base. I dug out the head textures. The Red blobs ether side of the white (assuming that is for the teeth), are they both tongue textures, top and bottom?

hi shaw, I have a question about TextureReplacer.

I want to change the color of the sun corona, I was able to do this by putting the new texture in:

GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/suncoronanew.dds

would it be possible to keep the texture inside my mod's folder and write a config that will tell TR to replace the stock corona with the texture I'm providing?

No.

I want to try making my own head/suit textures using the stock textures as base. I dug out the head textures. The Red blobs ether side of the white (assuming that is for the teeth), are they both tongue textures, top and bottom?

I don't know, probably.

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a UV Wrapped model of a Kerbal? So that I can check my texture alignment and see how it looks without loading up the game everytime? It would be really helpful. I've seen some models people have done for references and stuff but those don't use the game's suit texture.

As it might require mucking around the assets data, feel free to PM me as well, as I'm pretty sure that is frowned upon by Squad.

Hello! Shaw I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding WindowShine and your reflection plugin. Are you/will you look into the possibility of reflective parts retaining their normal maps and highlighting in the future? I'm hoping the U5 update might open more doors for this. I would look into it myself if I knew anything about coding. Again thanks for creating such an awesome mod and plugin. I will always make sure the populace knows that you're the real reason true reflections could ever be a thing. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

hi, im trying to make the hubs of the wheels in my mod reflective, i started out using the windowshine method but im having issues, it works fine on some parts from another mod but when it comes to my wheels (which have a different texture for the hub and the rubber) i cant seem to make the hub reflective, i cant even make the whole tyre reflective, do reflections just no work on wheels or what?

Hello! Shaw I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding WindowShine and your reflection plugin. Are you/will you look into the possibility of reflective parts retaining their normal maps and highlighting in the future? I'm hoping the U5 update might open more doors for this. I would look into it myself if I knew anything about coding. Again thanks for creating such an awesome mod and plugin. I will always make sure the populace knows that you're the real reason true reflections could ever be a thing. :)

Reflective parts currently retain normal maps (I posted a screenshot a page back), for retaining highlighting, a new reflective shader needs to be written. Currently I use Unity's stock reflective shaders (Squad doesn't provide any) in most cases and my custom shader for visors, none of them supports highlighting. Maybe I'll write reflective versions of Squad's shaders in some point the future.

hi, im trying to make the hubs of the wheels in my mod reflective, i started out using the windowshine method but im having issues, it works fine on some parts from another mod but when it comes to my wheels (which have a different texture for the hub and the rubber) i cant seem to make the hub reflective, i cant even make the whole tyre reflective, do reflections just no work on wheels or what?

TR probably fails to map shaders correctly. Try using some "more standard" shaders, like "KSP/Bumped Diffuse" or similar. Alternatively you can manually specify the reflective shader to by adding "shader = Reflective/Bumped diffuse" to TRReflection module's configuration.

TR probably fails to map shaders correctly. Try using some "more standard" shaders, like "KSP/Bumped Diffuse" or similar. Alternatively you can manually specify the reflective shader to by adding "shader = Reflective/Bumped diffuse" to TRReflection module's configuration.

Edited by amankd