Is KSP dying?

bartekkru99

It would make sense to optimize it first and even do the unity 5 port before going to 1.0.

I wouldn't bother optimizing on Unity 4, it's dead man walking at this point.

Before going to 1.0, I would have moved over to Unity 5 and then hit that with some optimization, AND done a few releases of the new systems to ensure they're stable and work and are playable. Once I'd done ALL of those things, then we'd start talking about a release candidate.

One thing about the memory usage is that I think it's basically got textures loaded twice somehow for DX9 rendering. I'm an OpenGL programmer myself (DirectX and it's LPHURTSMYHEAD can suck it), but I'm pretty sure that DX9 doesn't require double texture loading..and it doesn't happen in -force-opengl mode OR DX11 mode, so presumably it's some sort of Unity 4 bug/limitation. Fixing that alone would greatly increase the available memory (using -force-opengl on my current stock save reduces it from something like 2.5g to 1.3g).

A load on demand system needs to be implemented asap.

I doubt that would work. Most games using on-demand systems usually have well-partitioned play areas with well defined asset groups (ex. do you need to load a Covenant cruiser or the Pillar of Autumn when you're inside the Library in Halo 1?), or have sucky performance (GTA IV: Nice job in loading that building, Rockstar. Could you have gotten it into memory BEFORE it was behind me?), or both.

Plus KSP is leaking memory like a sieve these days. It's possible a dynamic loading system would completely fail to UN-load unused assets, and you'd run out of memory before hitting 'launch' on a pure-stock game.

And this is exactly why it makes no sense to move out of beta anytime soon. It would make sense to optimize it first and even do the unity 5 port before going to 1.0.

It is bad enough that it is unstable on release, but these changes will most likely create new bugs and break save games and mods as well. With a 1.0 release you dont really expect that save games and mods keep breaking with new patches.

I wouldn't bother optimizing on Unity 4, it's dead man walking at this point.

Before going to 1.0, I would have moved over to Unity 5 and then hit that with some optimization, AND done a few releases of the new systems to ensure they're stable and work and are playable. Once I'd done ALL of those things, then we'd start talking about a release candidate.

One thing about the memory usage is that I think it's basically got textures loaded twice somehow for DX9 rendering. I'm an OpenGL programmer myself (DirectX and it's LPHURTSMYHEAD can suck it), but I'm pretty sure that DX9 doesn't require double texture loading..and it doesn't happen in -force-opengl mode OR DX11 mode, so presumably it's some sort of Unity 4 bug/limitation. Fixing that alone would greatly increase the available memory (using -force-opengl on my current stock save reduces it from something like 2.5g to 1.3g).

I doubt that would work. Most games using on-demand systems usually have well-partitioned play areas with well defined asset groups (ex. do you need to load a Covenant cruiser or the Pillar of Autumn when you're inside the Library in Halo 1?), or have sucky performance (GTA IV: Nice job in loading that building, Rockstar. Could you have gotten it into memory BEFORE it was behind me?), or both.

Plus KSP is leaking memory like a sieve these days. It's possible a dynamic loading system would completely fail to UN-load unused assets, and you'd run out of memory before hitting 'launch' on a pure-stock game.

Yep you guys summed it up perfectly.

It's not ready and it seems to be getting further away from being ready.

poor reviews on release could really hurt squad even if the problems are fixed further down the line.

It's not ready and it seems to be getting further away from being ready.

poor reviews on release could really hurt squad even if the problems are fixed further down the line.

Yeah, exactly. It won't impact my enjoyment of KSP, but Squad might end up taking a hit, right in the sales figures. And not only for KSP but any future projects. Which might impact my enjoyment of future KSP-related projects...

Crap..there's some famous quote about the cost of ruining a reputation, but I can't quite call it to mind..so I'll say, "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression." (close enough ;) )

But thats exactly what KSP is doing. A load on demand system would have to be done right that DID unload assets. But there's even more Squad can do to alleviate memory usage that would compliment an LoD system. Fixing said leak would be a good start.

If you have not seen this, the main developer has written about why they are not waiting for Unity 5.

I think I will be happy for a while with a much more stable KSP running on Unity 4.6, if they manage to deliver it. In the latest Squadcast, Maxmaps said that "loads" of old bugs are being fixed.

KasperVld re-iterated that "1.0" is not the end of development, and, they do plan to update to Unity 5 - after its released.

Q&A with a moron (Me)

Q. Is KSP dying?

A. No

Q. than why are people not posting on the forums

A. people get bored with forums

Q. why don't you post to forums

A. half of what i say makes no sense

Q. is there any way we can make more people to post on the forums

A. no

Edited by Firedtm
Spell and Grammer check

Agreed. All the people who avoid Early Access like the plague will start flooding in.

And that will depend alot on what kind of impression it makes on reviewers. This is why they really should wait until they have it optimized and polished as best as they can. People who buy a early access game expects and understand in general that there can be stability issues as well as save games/mods breaking with updates, but people who buy the final version really does have higher standards as they should have with a game that is supposed to be finished.

And with reviews there is really no second chance and they will be losing alot of potential customers if it has mediocre or bad reviews.

I think people need to disassociate behaviour on the forum with the KSP development cycle. Whereas these two things are naturally related, they do not necessarily indicate or predict behaviour between each other.

The forum is driven by high rep contributors, fanboys and newbees alike - there are always ebbs and flows where new and old contribute to topics which strike each of our nerves in unique ways.

From my perspective, I find the majority of new threads to be mindless. Occasionally there is intelligent debate. This to me indicates a condition within the forum community - not KSP. A positive intervention here would be more open communications from the Dev team and a more engaged and visibly constructive community management process (not just closing threads). That said, Early Access is coming to an end, so any expectations of a continuation of the status quo should be hedged.

Edited by Wallygator

Enjoy the quiet while it lasts everyone. Once 1.0 hits this place will be a mad house.

Maybe. I'm certain there will be some pick up and some new purchases but KSP has been in Alpha for so long that I feel like the game has already reached a large percentage of its audience. I'm interested to see what happens.

Even HOC Gaming stopped playing KSP.

KSP is around for so long and there's only so much challenge...

To me there are 3 big milestones in KSP:

* Get in orbit around Kerbin

* Get to Mün and Minmus

* Get to other planets

Once you've been to all celestial bodies, the game is basically over.

Two things that would extend KSP's lifetime by a lot:

* Stable and official multiplayer (i assume many like me simply don't want to bother with installing mods)

* A way to conquer new worlds. Give us other solar systems, let us relearn launches, give back the exploration aspect.

Maybe even - my wish - give us the option to create solar systems. No interplanetary dV or phase calculations.

We'll have to do it all by ourselves again.

According to max, sales are doing great, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Like Vana said, due to the long breaks between content updates, people just run out of things to say and do, and so there's a percieved decrease in activity.

I don't think KSP is dying out. It changes, all long lasting communities change. Anyone who resists the change gets crushed by the changing itself. KSP is no longer what people used to look for after sometime, hell even Minecraft is the same for me.

As 1.0 comes out there WILL be a massive change, since every game raters (IGN and such) will make the game famous for a very different people (that may be annoying to our POV).

tl;dr : resistance is futile

I don't play KSP because I'm bored of it for now and even if I wasn't I would wait for the moment it's released.

I'm pretty sure it's the calm before the storm, people don't play it because the next update will make it the official 1.0 version. It will be THE KSP, how the game was always meant to be.

KSP is going full release mode, probably with an in-store boxed version, and Certainly with a new Steam Release Promotion and all sorts of stuff. I bet the community is going to expand like crazy once official release hits.

In fact, I'm working on new sets of tutorials and science videos to sort of "start over" because I believe there will be a huge herd of new players hungry for information.

I think the question should be, will KSP die after 1.0 is released?

The game has lasted this long because of a few things:

1) continued updates by squad

2) the promise of MORE updates by squad with more features

3) the modding community

4) the game was in early access mode

Now that the game will be released 'feature complete', the community will get excited at initial release, play it for a few months, then realize the game is done and put it down forever.

I have to confess, this is the reason I haven't visited any other planets in the kerbal system other than Mun, Minimus and Duna. I want to visit everything else when the game is complete.. that should buy me a few more months of play time before I move onto other games.

I think the question should be, will KSP die after 1.0 is released?

The game has lasted this long because of a few things:

1) continued updates by squad

2) the promise of MORE updates by squad with more features

3) the modding community

4) the game was in early access mode

Now that the game will be released 'feature complete', the community will get excited at initial release, play it for a few months, then realize the game is done and put it down forever.

I have to confess, this is the reason I haven't visited any other planets in the kerbal system other than Mun, Minimus and Duna. I want to visit everything else when the game is complete.. that should buy me a few more months of play time before I move onto other games.

The devs have stated that 1.0 wont be the end of development.

I have to admit, for me playing the game like it's "supposed to" (career) lost it's appeal every time after every update, within a month. I've found new life in engineering and trying to inspire others with new building techniques and new concepts, primarily using stock. Squad should introduce some stuff to improve the engineering side like scaling down stuff, adding gears & bearings and overhaul the joints and materials issue. Right now people like me are more busy fighting the game engine itself, and this hurts new players wanting to build interesting stuff.

Most of the big mods seem to be on care & maintenance now - whether that's because they're more or less feature complete or the creators are getting fed up is a bit hard to tell. Plenty of rumbles of discontent but then modders *always* grumble :P

*grumbles*

I speak for myself, obviously, when I say it's a bit of both. The pursuit of money tends to drag me away from modding game(s) (KSP isn't the only game I mod). Plus 1.0 is close(ish) and based on my experience of dealing with changes to the API in the last two versions, I'm wary of pushing out new features before, this time. New content over features is a lot less hassle right now.