Female kerbals and the original 3

What will happen to the core team with female kerbals?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the core team with female kerbals?

• No changes.
    • 1-2 member switch
    • All members switch
    • Core team expand
    • No more core team
    • Freedom to choose members of core team
    • Other (post your speculation!)

With the inclusion of female kerbal coming to 1.0, what do you think will happen to the original 3? Jebediah, Bill, and Bob seems to already be canonically male, and I feel a certain sense of attachment to them. But in that case, that would mean there would not be any female kerbalnaut in the core team at all, and that is under-representation!:P (not really, but I think at least a female kerbal in beginning to balance out things would be nice.)

So what do you think would happen?

1. No changes. Original 3 stay the same.

2. One or two of the member will be switch out with female kerbals. May have name change, maybe not.

3. ALL of them becomes female kerbals!

4. Core team expand with more members, including female kerbals. Maybe with just 1 extra member, maybe a whole 3 new female kerbals for 3 professions, being the female core team.

5. We get no original team anymore.

6. We get to choose 3 from a list of kerbals in beginning for our core teams, including the original 3 and extra.

7. Something else?

Edited by RainDreamer

I'd say leave the 'original three' as they are- no changes. Adding a fourth Kerbal to the original crew just for the sake of having a female at the start doesn't seem right.

Assuming the goal is for equality of the sexes, the applicant list should remain totally random- the code equivalent of throwing all the possible Kerbal names together and picking one. So no enforced 50:50 split or any such nonsense- you might get more female than male applicants, it might be the other way round. The point is, there's no prioritisation of one over the other.

I'd assume Valentina will be added to the original 3, essentially giving us an original 4.

Beyond that, the game doesn't really force you to use the original 3 in your missions. I don't really see a need to do much beyond that.

Beyond that, the game doesn't really force you to use the original 3 in your missions. I don't really see a need to do much beyond that.
Well, actually, in career mode you are pretty much forced to use Jeb on all early flight missions since you can't fire them and you're limited to like, five Kerbals. Random Kerbals FTW.

Well, actually, in career mode you are pretty much forced to use Jeb on all early flight missions since you can't fire them and you're limited to like, five Kerbals. Random Kerbals FTW.

You CAN fire 'em as of 0.26. It just causes bugs and crashes (as with dying kerbals). Fortunately, Claw has a fix for that.

I think when starting a new career you should be prompted to select 3 Kerbals to start with, who will always wear orange suits. In this scenario, a 6 person, 3 male 3 female, core team would fit well, along side a selection of random Kerbals, letting you choose who your planet's greatest heroes will be.

Just keep the 3 originals for those of us who've gotten rather attached to good ol' Bill, Bob, and Jeb, and then have the randomly generated Kerbal list include at least 50% Male & Female.

Boom. All parties satisfied.

Not sure why every little thing has to become this over-complicated "how should we do this?" kind of debate. They're not humans. Male & Female representation shouldn't even be a thing that matters in this case.

/opinionz

I think when starting a new career you should be prompted to select 3 Kerbals to start with, who will always wear orange suits. In this scenario, a 6 person, 3 male 3 female, core team would fit well, along side a selection of random Kerbals, letting you choose who your planet's greatest heroes will be.
I really like this idea so long as there are at least 18 total Kerbals to choose from fitting all the different "roles". Gives a wider choice of names.

Get rid of the original three. Completely random Kerbals on new game is the way to go. Let's write our own stories.

As much as I like this idea, I think you should have the option to name your OG 3, or keep their default names. Stats and jobs stay the same.

As for the poll question, I imagine they'll just expand the 3 to include a female.

Good idea that I can get on board with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.