GameModHub Dev Log [ALTERNATIVE to Kerbalstuff.com,Spacedock.info,and all other modding websites]

GGKSPMC

8 hours ago, GGKSPMC said:

I have and I was like "OMG my website design is bad!!! So now, the website looks a little more like SpaceDock (I only have a few colors: blue, white, yellow, and grey)"

Just don't copy the whole design. And anyways the gif on the OP comes up with a 403 Forbidden.

16 hours ago, RA3236 said:

Just don't copy the whole design. And anyways the gif on the OP comes up with a 403 Forbidden.

It does?  Weird.  I won't copy the whole design at all!

I’m sorry if the advice was already given; might have been in one of the deleted posts or I overlooked it, but when I just read through the thread I got a pretty bad feeling about one aspect not bring mentioned: please don’t get an expensive server right away.

I do encourage you to learn and create the application you have in mind. But I strongly suggest you start with a server on your local machine or at most get a cheap (<5$/month) hosting package. Once you see your website taking of you can still upgrade to strong, dedicated hardware and migrate quite easily. Full blown servers come with responsibilities and (depending on your income situation rather large) costs attached. Please, just don’t get yourself in a situation which may lead to serious regrets if things don’t go as planned.

Best of luck!

20 hours ago, marce said:
I’m sorry if the advice was already given; might have been in one of the deleted posts or I overlooked it, but when I just read through the thread I got a pretty bad feeling about one aspect not bring mentioned: please don’t get an expensive server right away.

I do encourage you to learn and create the application you have in mind. But I strongly suggest you start with a server on your local machine or at most get a cheap (<5$/month) hosting package. Once you see your website taking of you can still upgrade to strong, dedicated hardware and migrate quite easily. Full blown servers come with responsibilities and (depending on your income situation rather large) costs attached. Please, just don’t get yourself in a situation which may lead to serious regrets if things don’t go as planned.

Best of luck!

Ok.  Thx 4 the advice :) 

20 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, I'd start small. Start with maybe a 1 gb/day server, that likely can handle traffic early on.

ok

I finally got the copy thing on the iPad to work, so here is a copy of the page that appears after clicking on the gif

403 Forbidden

Code: AccessDenied

RequestId: ABA2B9458C1ADF6F

HostId: H1XAoY9/4JooT8UQtW+ZCPZa6sn6XHh3x6Jqk36gpm3zJi2AYDIQieTlg7Nn33UWSG1cOw0CdWc=

8 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

I finally got the copy thing on the iPad to work, so here is a copy of the page that appears after clicking on the gif

403 Forbidden

HostId: H1XAoY9/4JooT8UQtW+ZCPZa6sn6XHh3x6Jqk36gpm3zJi2AYDIQieTlg7Nn33UWSG1cOw0CdWc=

Oh then I will upload it 2 imgur

52 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

403 Forbidden

Uploaded the image to Imgur :) 

Wasn't there a button to report posts? :o

OK, seriously, but this is all...wrong, it's just wrong. Seriously, who would like to upload his work to a hosting site like you present here, after reading this thread? Please, please please please learn the basics first, then analyze what other mod hosting sites made well and which things could be improved, then see how you can make things better, work out a plan maybe, and then maybe tell the us what you are wanting to do, and that you want support or something.. But don't start with saying "Hey, I am awesome and I will make the greatest modding website ever, spacedock and all the other websites are rubbish", when you have a design like in 90's or something. At last it seems old (yes you said you have a new design but still...)

:sealed:

1 minute ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Wasn't there a button to report posts? :o

OK, seriously, but this is all...wrong, it's just wrong. Seriously, who would like to upload his work to a hosting site like you present here, after reading this thread? Please, please please please learn the basics first, then analyze what other mod hosting sites made well and which things could be improved, then see how you can make things better, work out a plan maybe, and then maybe tell the us what you are wanting to do, and that you want support or something.. But don't start with saying "Hey, I am awesome and I will make the greatest modding website ever, spacedock and all the other websites are rubbish", when you have a design like in 90's or something. At last it seems old (yes you said you have a new design but still...)

:sealed:

I haven't changed the gif but my website has gone a long way.  Minecraft forums & Unturned forums treat me better.

Found out about this topic at #spacedock.

Honestly, I don't like the design, but I'm kinda excited about your project. If anything helps, you could try looking for CSS frameworks that can make your "service" prettier. A personal choice? Materialize CSS.

Anyways, here's a tip: don't give up on your dreams. If this project is your dream, do not give up on it.

26 minutes ago, RockyTV said:

Found out about this topic at #spacedock.

Honestly, I don't like the design, but I'm kinda excited about your project. If anything helps, you could try looking for CSS frameworks that can make your "service" prettier. A personal choice? Materialize CSS.

Anyways, here's a tip: don't give up on your dreams. If this project is your dream, do not give up on it.

Thank you so much for the support!  I haven't posted an image of GameModHub for a while, and it looks much different now!  What do you think I should do for my CSS?

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Shouldn't any image for the site be hosted on the site's server? That way you're not dependent on imgur.

I haven't started the server yet.  Good idea, though :) I hate being dependent on Imgur... INSTAGRAM IS WAY BETTER!!!

Lets not have a flame war about what is better: instagram or imgur, though :D...  flame wars about crayons are more interesting :) 

some of my thoughts... :

probably will not use the service :/ Reasons as follows:

(looks like a small clone of curse (maybe?))

Ads (but you can simply use adblocker :P thus renders the profit from ads not much)

some suggestions :

go fully for donations and without ads (like what KerbalX is doing.)

my couple of cents...

13 hours ago, Joshwoo69 said:

some of my thoughts... :

probably will not use the service :/ Reasons as follows:

(looks like a small clone of curse (maybe?))

Ads (but you can simply use adblocker :P thus renders the profit from ads not much)

some suggestions :

go fully for donations and without ads (like what KerbalX is doing.)

my couple of cents...

When I say ads I mean JUST ONE little banner ad per page.  I am also going to accept donations in the form of "premium accounts".  Thanks for your cents, though :)