GameModHub Dev Log [ALTERNATIVE to Kerbalstuff.com,Spacedock.info,and all other modding websites]

GGKSPMC

13 hours ago, ImperatorAdeptus said:

Excuse me GGKSPMC. I don't mind to sound rude or brash but, I think you should tone it down a few notches with all this. We get it you're pretty excited about your whole GameModHub project and it's rather ambitious and we all wish you luck with it. We're just asking that you calm down and just take it slow to avoid the potential for massive drama

Also if you need any help making anything for the site or a need advice on what to do, I and a lot of other fourm users are more then willing to help.

I am not being dramatic.  I will not be dramatic :) 

6 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

and getting moderators to test mods for a virus is so..... old fashioned....

The modern way to do it is, once a person uploads a mod, to have the site send it to somewhere like...

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

and check it.... based on the result, its either accepted into the mysql database, or its not.... and I noticed you don't mention if you will be using mysql or not...

So seriously, again, as has been stated by someone else, I have to wonder how old you are.... and I also have to wonder just how proficient you are at website coding...

No one uses HTML on a PHP website, in fact, provided you secure your coding, the ONLY preferred method to create a website is with PHP, utilising MySql ... and some java etc etc...

At a bare minimum.... you would be better off using WORDPRESS to host mods.... and at best.... a self written PHP site.... minimalistic is what people like... people with bad eyes, me for example, hate clutter on a site and things flashing etc or to be overwhelmed by content which distracts from what I am after...

if you intend to make money from advertising, don't count it.... most of us clever people use ad blockers... adverts are clutter that distract you from what you are after... that means that people will use your site and NEVER see an advert and you will NEVER get paid for it.... ad blockers are a fact of life these days...

I'm guessing, based on your advance shots of the site, the coding results AND the super hype from you.... you are between thirteen and seventeen years of age...

If you think I am scum for saying this... then listen up, I'm being brutally honest here to save you a lot of grief down the line... people can be super nice on a forums like this but they are unforgiving... you screw with them over money or wasting their time... then they will attack you and rip you to shreds like a tribe of rabid attack dogs.... I have seen a few people bite off more than they can chew and regretted the entire venture... Hype will get you so far, but if you cannot deliver on that hype... then you are going to suffer...

FYI, That is why I never started my KSP mod hosting site... sure, I know PHP coding, I have a server, I run websites, I host websites.... but my health is such that I might be forced to close it down a month after I start that.... and I'm old enough (56 in July) to know that there *WILL* be super annoyed and angry people..... so, I won't bother... I advise you to think long and hard before going any further with this...

FYI, its the same way with some modders.... they write a mod for KSP and regret it when people get mad over bugs, expect you to drop everything (like your life, wife and children) and get a version out ASAP like yesterday ...... They are impatient and not prepared to wait,... they think they OWN the modder and the modder OWES them because they use their mod....

Is that what you want....

Funny thing is.... I'm trying to help you not make a major mistake.... its why I'm being brutally honest.

I will be using mySQL.  Thanks for the advice of using virustotal.com :) best virus scanner ever :).  There are many little JS snippets that tell me if the user is using Adblock or not :).  PHP generates the html, css, images, and everything- this forum software uses PHP or .NET for server side and MYSQL to store the names, maybe blobs, posts, etc, and PHP posts the posts on the forum page.  I am not asking for any donations for GameModHub.com.  Ik that some people hate curse (more like everybody that has common sense) and there are complaints about SpaceDock and KerbalStuff, but no modding website will ever be sued because the modders have not made an update recently!  I will not only host mods for KSP, but I will also host mods for Unturned, Minecraft, 7 days to die, Call of Duty, StoneHearth, Sims, SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and many more games... if I mentioned all of them, this post would be > 512 MB xD.  Just look up "list of moldable games" on google and see what I mean.  Also, [sorry Curse], I have implemented Scrollmagic and JQuery and TweenMax and GSAP into my site, so obviously the site is going to good at graphics and animation and scrolling :) GSAP is awesome BTW because I have made a 300-particle animation that gets 100fps on a 2013 iPad :).  BTW the Facebook guy probably got tons of complaints, but now he is a millionaire!  My point is that you might as well try something, and if you don't succeed, then try again or make a new project :) 

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

I like the concept, but as kiwi1960 said it would be much better with a more contemporary look.

what do you mean contemporary look?

1 hour ago, regex said:

Uh...  The whole point of writing a PHP backend is to generate HTML.  And people use languages other than PHP and databases other than MySQL to serve pages that are often times more secure than a PHP-based site.

IKR :D 

I mean a more sleek look, the site's colors don't seem to fit together. Dark blue on blakck with yellow text doesn't looks very appealing. Maybe a gray/white/black setup, that might look good. I'd look at other websites for inspiration.

Just now, legoclone09 said:

I mean a more sleek look, the site's colors don't seem to fit together. Dark blue on blakck with yellow text doesn't looks very appealing. Maybe a gray/white/black setup, that might look good. I'd look at other websites for inspiration.

Thanks.  I know what you mean :) I made the titlebar grey :) 

I decided that there will only be 3 directories: /mods, /community, /forums.  To access a list, it would be /mods/modlist.php?modlist=ksp.  To access a mod, it would be /mods/mods.php?modid=b9-areospace&display=mod.  To access a user, it would be /community/user.php?user=GGKSPMC.  To access a wiki, it would be /mods/mods.php?modid=b9-areospace&display=wiki.  To access the forums, it would be /forums.  To access a forum topic, it would be /forums/topic?topic=general+discussion.  To access a forum thread, it would be /forums/thread?threadid=029cw3

3 hours ago, GGKSPMC said:

I will be using mySQL.  Thanks for the advice of using virustotal.com :) best virus scanner ever :).  There are many little JS snippets that tell me if the user is using Adblock or not :).  PHP generates the html, css, images, and everything- this forum software uses PHP or .NET for server side and MYSQL to store the names, maybe blobs, posts, etc, and PHP posts the posts on the forum page.  I am not asking for any donations for GameModHub.com.  Ik that some people hate curse (more like everybody that has common sense) and there are complaints about SpaceDock and KerbalStuff, but no modding website will ever be sued because the modders have not made an update recently!  I will not only host mods for KSP, but I will also host mods for Unturned, Minecraft, 7 days to die, Call of Duty, StoneHearth, Sims, SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and many more games... if I mentioned all of them, this post would be > 512 MB xD.  Just look up "list of moldable games" on google and see what I mean.  Also, [sorry Curse], I have implemented Scrollmagic and JQuery and TweenMax and GSAP into my site, so obviously the site is going to good at graphics and animation and scrolling :) GSAP is awesome BTW because I have made a 300-particle animation that gets 100fps on a 2013 iPad :).  BTW the Facebook guy probably got tons of complaints, but now he is a millionaire!  My point is that you might as well try something, and if you don't succeed, then try again or make a new project :) 

what do you mean contemporary look?

IKR :D 

The FaceBook guy as you call him is actually a billionaire... and he STILL gets complaints, :) Just saying, y'know...

The reason so many sites get hacked is because they are overly complicated... you can always use pure PHP and MySql to begin with and add the HTML later ... firstly, getting a proof of concept site out would be the first concern. There is no point doing hundreds of hours of coding if no one uses or likes the site... proof of concept first, if people like it, then you only need to go UP, making it better. If people do not like the site the first time they visit, they will never return the second time. But its your call...

FYI, contemporary look.... consider this site.... the layout is clean, the colours are simple.... yes, I hated it when it arrived as I hate change, but now... its OK... even if the white is hard on my eyes.

Go take a look at the other multi game hosting sites.... they range from the insane to the simple...

Just now, kiwi1960 said:

The FaceBook guy as you call him is actually a billionaire... and he STILL gets complaints, :) Just saying, y'know...

The reason so many sites get hacked is because they are overly complicated... you can always use pure PHP and MySql to begin with and add the HTML later ... firstly, getting a proof of concept site out would be the first concern. There is no point doing hundreds of hours of coding if no one uses or likes the site... proof of concept first, if people like it, then you only need to go UP, making it better. If people do not like the site the first time they visit, they will never return the second time. But its your call...

FYI, contemporary look.... consider this site.... the layout is clean, the colours are simple.... yes, I hated it when it arrived as I hate change, but now... its OK... even if the white is hard on my eyes.

Go take a look at the other multi game hosting sites.... they range from the insane to the simple...

My site is going to be simple.  All the server-side passwords will be different, 128-character paswords ;).  The HTML and CSS and JS do not give my site any vulnerabilities, but I will make the server-side code have no vulnerabilities.  I thought that the Facebook guy was just a millionaire, but I understand why he is a billionaire- Facebook has way more users than PewDiePie's subscribers.

2 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Forget the forums... the most popular forums will always belong to those the game devs set up.... like this one....

Ok... thanks for the advice.  I will!

Update Alpha 2:

Made website have more of a contemporary look.  Colors: grey, white, transparentish-blueish, blue.

Ok... thanks for the advice.  I will!

Update Alpha 2:

Made website have more of a contemporary look.  Colors: grey, white, transparentish-blueish, blue.

You might really want to use a more understandable approach to version numbering.  From where this is, I wouldn't even put this at a 0.5.  You might want to increment one by one, and include your bug fixes - 0.2.9, etc.  With an alpha, I'd even go into the builds - 0.2.9.8908

Update Alpha 2:

Do you have a mock-up for what the page for an individual mod will look like?

6 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

You might really want to use a more understandable approach to version numbering.  From where this is, I wouldn't even put this at a 0.5.  You might want to increment one by one, and include your bug fixes - 0.2.9, etc.  With an alpha, I'd even go into the builds - 0.2.9.8908

OK.  That makes sense, but I should have also listed that I did some minor server side code.  I just read an article about version numbering :) 

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Do you have a mock-up for what the page for an individual mod will look like?

I am making one currently :)

3 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

Forget the forums... the most popular forums will always belong to those the game devs set up.... like this one....

I decided that I will actually do forums anyway after getting 2m users :) I am being too optimistic probably ^_^

@KasperVld and all other admins,

Can you please pin this thread?  I am almost done making the whole website, in fact :D I know that SpaceDock's thread is pinned, so why not pin my thread.  I love hearing everybody's advice on this whole modding website development :) 

On 3/24/2016 at 5:19 PM, GGKSPMC said:

OK.  That makes sense, but I should have also listed that I did some minor server side code.  I just read an article about version numbering :) 

I am making one currently :)

I decided that I will actually do forums anyway after getting 2m users :) I am being too optimistic probably ^_^

If you only just now read an article on version numbering, then, I suggest you are learning as you go... not good....

2 million...... seriously.... you think you might ....seriously.... get 2 million members..... :o

UPDATE ALPHA 2.0.1 [This is a better version number, right?]:

Mod page mockup finished.

Mod list finished

Username/passwords script finished

Comments finished, but lots of bugs :(

I just found out a way for people to show their support:  Press the like button if you like the new features

@GGKSPMC: I admire your tenacity and enthusiasm. There are definitely some suggestions in this thread that I think would benefit your project, such as a more modern and professional appearance. You will be going up against some pretty stiff competition against places like Curse and Nexus in terms of other games mods, and Spacedock as an established site for KSP mods. You'll definitely want the site to be visually appealing to hook the user, but of course you'll need to back that up with some solid coding and such.

Furthemore, I'd encourage you not to pay much attention to the people who only come here to (not so subtly) mock your efforts. You'll generally find these kinds of people don't contribute much beyond snarky comments, and have nothing better to do. Even if this doesn't work out precisely the way you planned it, at least you gave it a go and probably learned something along the way. That's more than most can claim. Focus on real contributors like Regex, Vitas, or Politas (and of course there are others). They'll steer you in the right direction.

Edited by Randazzo

32 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Furthemore, I'd encourage you not to pay much attention to the people who only come here to (not so subtly) mock your efforts. You'll generally find these kinds of people don't contribute much beyond snarky comments, and have nothing better to do. Even if this doesn't work out precisely the way you planned it, at least you gave it a go and probably learned something along the way. That's more than most can claim. Focus on real contributors like Regex, Vitas, or Politas (and of course there are others). They'll steer you in the right direction.

^^ I was initially fairly snide about the whole project but in the end, at bare minimum you'll hopefully get a lot of experience out of this even if it doesn't work out. With that said, remember that there are a lot of people offering genuinely good advice in the thread, such as the ones @Randazzo mentioned.

7 hours ago, Randazzo said:

@GGKSPMC: I admire your tenacity and enthusiasm. There are definitely some suggestions in this thread that I think would benefit your project, such as a more modern and professional appearance. You will be going up against some pretty stiff competition against places like Curse and Nexus in terms of other games mods, and Spacedock as an established site for KSP mods. You'll definitely want the site to be visually appealing to hook the user, but of course you'll need to back that up with some solid coding and such.

Thanks a lot!

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

^^ I was initially fairly snide about the whole project but in the end, at bare minimum you'll hopefully get a lot of experience out of this even if it doesn't work out. With that said, remember that there are a lot of people offering genuinely good advice in the thread, such as the ones @Randazzo mentioned.

People, before you get into all the legaleeze involved in the project why not help OP get a working website with a proper, functioning, secure back-end?  OP is a loooooong way from implementing a revenue stream...

Edited by regex

That is enough trouble from this thread. 

Off-topic posts will be removed and infracted. 

Insulting posts will be removed and infracted. 

The OP's age is no one's business but his own. Do not ask about it, and do not go offering him/her legal advice. 

If you find anything in this thread objectionable, just skip to the next thread, or if you believe something breaks forum rules, hit the report button. 

Now stay on topic, please. 

(And before anyone asks, some of your posts were removed not because they broke any rules but because they replied to or quoted posts which were removed, or were likely to drag the discussion off-topic again if left in public view.) 

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

That is enough trouble from this thread. 

Off-topic posts will be removed and infracted. 

Insulting posts will be removed and infracted. 

The OP's age is no one's business but his own. Do not ask about it, and do not go offering him/her legal advice. 

If you find anything in this thread objectionable, just skip to the next thread, or if you believe something breaks forum rules, hit the report button. 

Now stay on topic, please. 

(And before anyone asks, some of your posts were removed not because they broke any rules but because they replied to or quoted posts which were removed, or were likely to drag the discussion off-topic again if left in public view.) 

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH you are my hero!  Thanks a lot!  I won't tell anyone my age anymore!

Edited by GGKSPMC

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Also, your intentions are unclear so far, GGKSPMC, but keep in mind that we do not allow forum members to link to services from which they will profit here on our forum (2.2.i). 

I was wondering what happened to the half page here. But I certainly agree with these removals, it was getting cluttered.

Anyway, since I haven't commented on the website, I think it is a little... Old-looking? Have you looked at Spacdock, to get design ideas?

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Also, your intentions are unclear so far, GGKSPMC, but keep in mind that we do not allow forum members to link to services from which they will profit here on our forum (2.2.i). 

Its more of a hobby :).  The ads will just be to keep the website running (dedicated servers = >$300/mo).  The premium will be a donation with benefits, like donating on a minecraft server and getting free diamonds.  Any links will not be through adfly (I HATE adfly because it makes me wait >5s to go to a link :D)

Also, in this case, then wouldn't all you tubers who have monetized videos be breaking the rules?

Edited by GGKSPMC

9 hours ago, RA3236 said:

I was wondering what happened to the half page here. But I certainly agree with these removals, it was getting cluttered.

Anyway, since I haven't commented on the website, I think it is a little... Old-looking? Have you looked at Spacdock, to get design ideas?

I have and I was like "OMG my website design is bad!!! So now, the website looks a little more like SpaceDock (I only have a few colors: blue, white, yellow, and grey)"