Xeldrak

Doing it Apollo style - Redux

56 posts in this topic

@smotheredrun

Sorry for the long delay, RL keeps getting in the way.
Well, a three-man lander will get you no points. While this is no hardcore apollo re-creation challenge, bringing the whole crew to the surface of the mun is a major change to the mission profile. Sorry for not making this clear earlier.

Connections from the LFBs to the core don't count as aspargus. I'd say it's aspargus if you have one LFB feeding fuel into another LFB

I'll count it as a free return trajectory if the periapsis is inside Kerbins atmosphere, so that it would brign you down to kerbin eventually without further input. I was not able to discern the hight of you periapsis from you screenshots.

Edited by Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Xeldrak said:

@smotheredrun

Sorry for the long delay, RL keeps getting in the way.
Well, a three-man lander will get you no points. While this is no hardcore apollo re-creation challenge, bringing the whole crew to the surface of the mun is a major change to the mission profile. Sorry for not making this clear earlier.

Connections from the LFBs to the core don't count as aspargus. I'd say it's aspargus if you have one LFB feeding fuel into another LFB

I'll count it as a free return trajectory if the periapsis is inside Kerbins atmosphere, so that it would brign you down to kerbin eventually without further input. I was not able to discern the hight of you periapsis from you screenshots.

I will try this when I unlocked stuffs I required later.

But what's wrong with all three down?

@HypercosmicWell, it is an "apollo-style" challenge. Apollo Mission had three astronauts, two went down to the surface, one stayed in the command module. There is nothing wrong with a three man lander, but it is a rather big departure from the Apollo mission profile. Just don't expect any points for it :wink:

Just now, Xeldrak said:

@HypercosmicWell, it is an "apollo-style" challenge. Apollo Mission had three astronauts, two went down to the surface, one stayed in the command module. There is nothing wrong with a three man lander, but it is a rather big departure from the Apollo mission profile. Just don't expect any points for it :wink:

Oh, so it's just like one-manned capsule missions? Good. I'm not expecting myself to perform that kind of stunt anyways.

@ xeldrak

Alright sounds fair enough.   I hear through the rumor mill that Kerbodyne and Rockomax have joined forces on a competing design, a 2 Kerbal design.

If free return needs to hit atmosphere, that definitely does not count as one.  My Pe was about 140 km or so.

Ok thanks for the clarification.  Armstrong V and VI are already in the works (V will launch significantly later than VI due to construction lead time changes, and Space Lab 01 running out of LS at one point....

All stages fulfilled with the exception of no Munar experiments, and no Munar orbital satellite.

Gives a total of 193 points I believe.

Craft is slightly modded, as I prefer the Alcor 2-man lander can over the stock one, purely from an aesthetic point of view. Just wondering if there are any bonus points available for taking two rovers, one for each crew member.

Edited by Scarecrow