I have an announcement to make...

Chel

Hello all, this isn't what I usually post on the forums. But anyway, time to tell whoever comes across this topic. I'm at school now, waiting for classes to start, having to deal with the day, with another kind of pressure. My beloved cat, Tara, had to be put down last night. She wasn't eating or drinking, and we made the decision after she hadn't had anything to eat or drink since Thursday. She was 15 years old, and we got her as a stray kitten at two weeks since birth. Unfortunately, she didn't get the amount of food necessary for her body to grow during kittenhood, so even though she was considered roughly 90 in cat years, she still looked like a month-old kitten in size. Everyday when I came home from school, she would be waiting for me outside the house. A friendly "Meow" when I got through the door, and nearly every night she would jump up on my bed and sit there, curling up in a little ball and purring, which helped me to go to sleep. She lived a nice, happy, fruitful life, and we cannot thank her enough for that. We rescued her from sickness and hunger as a kitten, dumpster diving for food, and gave her a home, a warm bed, and a nice outside area to explore and sit in the sun when she was cold. She was with us for 15 years, and now she's playing with Kenny up in the sky, having all the milk and chicken she could ever hope for. ;.;;.;

Tara: 2002 - 2017

Yesterday afternoon I attended a mini-funeral in our backyard, putting her body to rest. We have a rock each for all our cats, and all our dog's ashes are put in colourful little boxes to keep. We also put in her favourite ball (that she liked to chew on), and a little solar powered light next to her rock so at night time she can shine just like she used to (the light from the hallway at night made her face look cuter and brighter). Thanks everyone for your support in this difficult time...

I had to put two cats to sleep last year, after having them for 16 years. Those 2 days, separated by about a month, were among the worst days of my life. I cremated the cats and their urns are in my living room.

So I can understand all the feels you're feeling right now.

We lost one of our cats, named copper, in 2013. She lived to be a healthy 16 years old, and died around 11:00 p.m with my mom and dad, of cancer. I didn't really know her as a kitten because I wasn't alive then. This post just depressed me, because I just realized my other cat, Kitkat <-- (real name, come on I was like 3), was also born in 2002 and she also has stunted growth (though for her it was just genes), it seems so similar. :(

As someone who is currently going through the same thing you just did, I feel your pain. I understand the emotion it takes to make a bond with an animal, and I really, truly know how hard it is to say goodbye.

I hope you had some warning before this, to make amends as it were, and to prepare yourself. I'm sure that Tara appreciated all that you did for her, and loved you just as much as you loved her.

35 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I'm sure that Tara appreciated all that you did for her, and loved you just as much as you loved her.

I think she did, as we rescued her from a life of dumpster-diving as a kitten and had cared for her for the rest of her life. :)

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I think she did, as we rescued her from a life of dumpster-diving as a kitten and had cared for her for the rest of her life. :)

Then despite the sadness you're feeling now, remember that you made a difference in her life for the better, and she couldn't say thank you in English.

Condolences.

"My" cat (an adopted stray cat as well) was coiled up on the keyboard this morning, purring slightly distorted. But that only lasts minutes, she is a killer. I have to clean half chewed up lizard zombies (the other half lives for quite a while) or catch mice from between the furniture. Sometimes she vomits on the carpet and once a year or so we have to go to the veterinary to cure her from parasites ...

Wow, fifteen years. That's a long, happy life for a cat.

As I've said in another thread here on this same subject.. I've been through quite a few pets myself, both cats and dogs. Its always a shame to see our little friends go, specially being put down (I've been there, too). There's not much we can say that can lift your spirits right now (well, except for @Dman979 who managed to find something useful to say, somehow. Good boy!).

One thing I've learned as a grown up is that one of the reasons parents get their kids pets (specially at a young age, which seems to be your case) it to teach them to cope with loss. It's a harsh lesson, but sadly life really, really insists that we learn it.

Remember your cat fondly. When you're ready, go for another one. Life's amazing with pets, they can love you like humans, but without judging your values. And I'll bet you'll make a difference in their life, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.