[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Haven't played with Kerbal Engineer since 0.90.

Man, I am LOVING the little readouts on the top of the screen that tell me my orbital info and surface info. Is there any way to get a vessel info mini-display on the lower left, between the navball and the docking controls, if there's an engineer on board? Just to save clutter.

Yes, you can put any readout anywhere you wish. I have 4 on my screen :D

I don't know the details offhand, but poke around in the readme and this thread (and the mod itself) for mentions of the HUD.

I would just about kill for a simple incremental (delta selectable) .csv output data recorder for engineer.

You're likely aware but you can write a short kOS script to do this. I've used it to quickly graph PID tuning changes, ascent profiles, etc. Built in would save some time, though, for sure.

I would just about kill for a simple incremental (delta selectable) .csv output data recorder for engineer.

Check out VOID, but the kOS option works well too if you know how to program (or are willing to learn). I'm actually thinking about making my current telemetry logger into a releasable general-purpose data logging script at some point...

Haven't played with Kerbal Engineer since 0.90.

Man, I am LOVING the little readouts on the top of the screen that tell me my orbital info and surface info. Is there any way to get a vessel info mini-display on the lower left, between the navball and the docking controls, if there's an engineer on board? Just to save clutter.

Those little windows (Hud 1 & Hud 2) are also dragable. (I think you have to click them once to highlight them) then hold the mouse button down and drag them where ever you want.

I moved both mine to the top left to stop Hud 2 from hiding behind/covering up the stock tool bar.

Hi, i use this plugin when creating my crafts. But every time i put on a parachute i wonder if it is enough to slow me down enough that it wont crash into the ground. Can kerbal engineer have something like this? A way for me to check wether my parachute are strong enough or that i have enough to sufficiently slow the craft down. Do you know what im talking about? Nothing worse than losing your ship or parts of it because the parachute didnt slow you below 6-7 m/s

Hi, i use this plugin when creating my crafts. But every time i put on a parachute i wonder if it is enough to slow me down enough that it wont crash into the ground. Can kerbal engineer have something like this? A way for me to check wether my parachute are strong enough or that i have enough to sufficiently slow the craft down. Do you know what im talking about? Nothing worse than losing your ship or parts of it because the parachute didnt slow you below 6-7 m/s

I would recommend going to check85's webpage: http://ksp.freeiz.com. There you will find the KSP Parachute Calculator. The instructions are very helpful, and the calculated number of parachutes that the calculator comes up with is usually more than substantial. I hope this helps.

Mk. I couldn't wait any longer for the 1.0.5 version so I loaded 1.0.4's. Didn't there used to be an atmospheric efficiency readout, or am I just missing it?

Yes there is, should be listed under the Surface report. (That's where it is in 1.0.2 and lower)

OK I understand that incompatibility may occur using current KER against main game 1.0.5, but I think this one is more of like - old hack doesn't work. Fairing seems duplicate weight now, causing the build overlay mass doesn't equal mass in stock info.

KSP 1.0.5.1028+KER 1.0.18.0, no other mods

pic first:

2nohUCU.png

I made the 1.25m fairing weigh 1.077t. Because fairing base is 75kg, the fairing itself is roughly 1t. It matches the difference between build overlay and stock info. The difference is confirmed with other mass of fairing so I'm sure it's the fairing double-count.

The extra mass shows up once the engine is attached, i.e. if nothing under fairing base, or only the fuel tank below fairing base, the mass is correct.

I also run the same procedure on 1.0.4. The behavior is that until I attach the engine, the fairing mass is missing. And while the engine is attached, mass becomes correct.

I haven't read the previous posts because it's so loong, but my wild guess is old KSP had a bug reporting fairing mass, KER implemented a hack, and now KSP 1.0.5 fixed the bug, and the correct KSP behavior + KER hack = fairing double-count.

If that's the case, fix for KER would be easy (just remove the hack), but a naive recompile against 1.0.5 DLLs is not enough.

EDIT: yup what I guessed seem correct. From the 1.0.5 changelog:

* Procedural fairings set part mass in the editor as well as in flight, properly offset CoL, CoP, CoM depending on fairing state, properly reset drag cube after deploying.

Edited by FancyMouse

If you are not against use another mod, Stage recovery adds not only the ability to recover fund from dropped stages (if having the proper amount of parachutes on it... and it works on background, even if they are not deployed at the moment of staging) but also, if you click on StageRecovery icon inside VAB or SPH, it gives to you the approximate landing speed of the stack you have at the moment (I build the capsule/part I'll recover, do the check, then add the rockets/boosters/whatever it is needed to space :P)

I'm not sure how stable it is or how many of the issues it addresses but there is a compiled version of 1.0.19.1 that Cybutek made for the preview streamers in the github repo. You should be able to get the DLL and version file from the Output/KerbalEngineer folder and replace just those files.

Hopefully I will be able to take a look at the simulation code and fix any remaining issues and implement the various new fuel flow modes in the next couple of days.

I'm not sure how stable it is or how many of the issues it addresses but there is a compiled version of 1.0.19.1 that Cybutek made for the preview streamers in the github repo. You should be able to get the DLL and version file from the Output/KerbalEngineer folder and replace just those files.

Hopefully I will be able to take a look at the simulation code and fix any remaining issues and implement the various new fuel flow modes in the next couple of days.

I just tried and the duplicate fairing mass issue I just reported is still there. Not trying to hurry you, but just mentioning it in case you haven't put it on the radar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.