Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

35514 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been playing around with Throttle Controlled Avionics, working on a VTOL. This is all moded heavily though.

screenshot4.jpg
screenshot5.jpg
screenshot6.jpg
screenshot7.jpg
screenshot8.jpg
screenshot9.jpg
screenshot11.jpg
screenshot12.jpg
screenshot14.jpg
screenshot15.jpg
screenshot16.jpg
screenshot17.jpg
screenshot18.jpg

Edited by Kerbital
12 people like this

My Gilly ships (a miner/lander and station/refinery) have captured into Eve orbit and are waiting to perform the necessary manoeuvres that will take them to their final destinations. No screenshots yet; I'm waiting until the mission is actually complete for that.

Odd that Kerbality's first steps on a body outside of Kerbin's SOI will be performed by a pilot and engineer with little scientific background and no scientific instruments to speak of. They're just there to mine; the scientists (along with another pilot and engineer to relieve that first mining crew) will be coming with the next transfer window, and with any luck they'll have plenty of fuel waiting for them for their return trip.

Posted (edited)

I finally felt like I've got aircraft design down today.  Needed to do three RSS-RO/RP-0 X Plane contracts.  60km, 150km and mach 2 at 12km.  Pretty easy made a plane like the last one i showed fixed its problems though.

What makes me feel confident is that as I write it is gently gliding at 6m/s down and 180m/s forwards with no power on. It's pretty close to dry, a few hundred dV remain in the tanks.  Packed chutes are ready.

Dry and wet CoM are close to each other, wet a tad bit forward.  CoL is just behind dry CoM. Airbrakes don't throw it around. It re-entered fine at 3500m/s and no heating bars.

Took 12 tries to get it to load on the runway flat.  Landing gear have a bit of slope upward to make it no stick take-off. so physics loading keeps throwing it around.

6LCbqWk.png

Took it up to 155km and re-entered over the central Atlantic

At 9500m I leveled it out and let it drift.

QtNiTjt.png

at 4500 speed was down to 132m/s and vertical of 5m/s no inputs other than SAS on

Messed with it to set a fixed 4deg pitch and clean up the roll to 0. Stable enough that I'm yawning watching it.

QfPK7tU.png

Flared to 9deg pitch as it passed 50m Altitude and put on the airbrakes.

I did not think that this plane could wet land when I started.

PPmSWjc.png

Happy surprises. Chutes still packed, pilot still dry all 40 parts remain.

Edited by Bornholio
9 people like this

zUNlGs4.png

L3hzMFN.png

GLztMij.png

Just landed my first Phyllorhiza module on Minmus. Very pleased with its appearance. Quite functional, too. I believe five modules in this series and three supplementary modules for cooling, resource extraction, and storage – altogether maybe 200 parts – should be enough to start cranking out nearly the entire USI supply chain.

6 people like this

started a new modded career game, and rediscovered the joys of early tech flights! 

O4Br6By.png

9 people like this

What did I do? I made a post in the Gameplay Questions topic, trying to get my three probes to orbit in an unstable rocket. I fixed said rocket, making it look like a horrible bulb containing the three probes. I got the three probes to orbit, and proceeded to mess around with physics warp. Apparently spinning with physics warp can produce some very... interesting effects.

No probes were harmed during the making of these pictures. KSP is hilarious.

5 people like this

@The Flying Kerbal something you could do to test equipment requirements is to check the contract while the ship is still on the pad. Make sure all of the parts requirements have a green-light before launch. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I spent my night in a dark corner of the Chemistry lab inventing a new resource, 3 isotopes for it, each with special properties/use cases, and a system around it. To get it to show in SCANsat I edited SCANsat's files directly. Past experience told me not to bother making it as an MM patch.

It's my first hand-made resource with intent to publish and share and it walks the line between stockalike (the only new part is the ion engine) and Near Future, providing something better than the NERV engine, making the stock RTG more useful, and still be very appealing to the Vanilla party. All that's missing is something to serve as a reactor, and a fuel cell...and maybe tank cost balancing (it currently uses Firespitter Fuel Switch on the Ore tanks).

If anyone can catch the reference by which (or by whom) I named this resource I'll give them an art piece a cookie.

nHw2UNL.jpg

xMQC5eC.jpg

BKHlNM2.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar
4 people like this

I landed a supply ship at my Iota base so the scientists there could continue their lab work. (after landing I noticed I neglected to remove the 2nd pair of landing legs I was testing in the VAB, lol). Whoops!   I unlocked the ISRU drills so it was time to scan around the base for ore concentrations; needed a rover for the job.  

2 birds, one stone.

BOHKjrp.jpg

kdnHdiO.jpg

pti0iQB.jpg

Concentrations at the base which is at the Highlands was 8.25%.  A short jaunt into a nearby valley revealed a Midlands biome with 14.62%.  Drilling and extraction will happen there, and a truck will drive the ore to the base where the conversion and final storage will be.  Orbiting Iota station produces lots of supplies, which I can then ferry down to the base, along with any replacement crews.  At this point the base is way more effort than the science gains from it are worth, but its still fun.

9 people like this

19 minutes ago, klesh said:

the base which is 

--a very, very nice base. :) 

1 person likes this

@klesh were did you get those landing legs? Also, as JadeOfMaar said, that's a sweet looking base! 

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, klesh said:

I landed a supply ship at my Iota base so the scientists there could continue their lab work. (after landing I noticed I neglected to remove the 2nd pair of landing legs I was testing in the VAB, lol). Whoops!   I unlocked the ISRU drills so it was time to scan around the base for ore concentrations; needed a rover for the job.  

2 birds, one stone.

BOHKjrp.jpg

kdnHdiO.jpg

pti0iQB.jpg

Concentrations at the base which is at the Highlands was 8.25%.  A short jaunt into a nearby valley revealed a Midlands biome with 14.62%.  Drilling and extraction will happen there, and a truck will drive the ore to the base where the conversion and final storage will be.  Orbiting Iota station produces lots of supplies, which I can then ferry down to the base, along with any replacement crews.  At this point the base is way more effort than the science gains from it are worth, but its still fun.

What and incredible base!

1 person likes this

Ha, wow, thanks guys.   My stream friends only ever seem to occasionally make phallic jokes on my steam screenshots.  Its nice to see people digging it!   I'll have to post more of my efforts here in the future.

This was the base a few days ago, pre addition of Ven's stock mod.  I haven't connected everything up, and the ship in the foreground is for ferrying crew around.

6DIpynR.jpg

38 minutes ago, kraden said:

@klesh were did you get those landing legs? Also, as JadeOfMaar said, that's a sweet looking base! 

I am almost certain they come in one of the USI mod packs.   They're really nice and wide-based.

5 people like this

[1.2.1 career save "trekking"] year 4 day 161, for the first time in a career save I (DDRocketsInc) managed to complete the tech tree....

KlgJ4JQ.png

Now, exploration and expansion awaits!

7 people like this

Built an interplanetary ship in orbit:

screenshot4

8 people like this

[1.2.1 career save "trekking"] year 4 day 168.

New launcher for Kerbin SOI developed. Kerbin News photographed the first launch into LEO. The Venturer X shuttle is ready to transit to Minmus to crew change at Minmus OSL I Refit.

EcfTDKc.jpg

3 people like this

Made orbit around Duna with a follow up craft. IT was following just a few weeks behind. Had to do this to make orbit as fuel was a weee bit low:

8FEA5DADBD8E53A30B9AD3AA6B16946958116706

Had to do this a few times to get it to where it was only braeaking off a few parts instead of about 70 parts worth. By the way. This is a 4 part craft in a line... Last try ended up with this orbit:

BBF80B468A84FC006C67C5263462895D1DBD65B8

2 people like this

Sent this ship to Eeloo.  Ten years ago. Was in the middle of several missions at Jool when the transfer window to Kerbin opened. Set up a quick encounter, made the burn, and went back to what I was doing. A couple of years later (maybe three?), the alarm popped up for the SOI change. I had indeed set up a rendezvous, but I hadn't noticed that my Pe was almost to Moho. Needless to say, I went screaming by Kerbin at 8,000m/s. There was no hope of a capture. Tried a gravity brake off the Mun into an aerobrake in the upper atmosphere. No good. I either ran out of fuel or just blew up.screenshot14.png

In the end, I just decided to save my fuel and live to fight another day. It's been floating out there ever since, waiting for a chance to get home. Patience paid off, and I finally found a way to get home. Got kind of lucky here with an encounter with Duna, and used it right into an encounter with Kerbin; without using any more fuel. I'll adjust the insertion angle after leaving Duna. Should be able to slow down enough in Kerbin's SOI to make it home safe. Hopefully. Those poor Kerbals would dearly like to get home

.screenshot15.png

And an important lesson was learned. The most important ship is the one you're flying, not the one you wanna get back to. I'll try to remember that.

2 people like this

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two ringsarrow-10x10.png of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this butarrow-10x10.png I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

Holy Guacamole! The TCA mod is awesome! It took me many hours to learn how to properly use it. This, combined with the fact that I finally tweaked my joystick set up, finally gave control over space planes that I've wanted.

I can't land them, I always crash. This allows me to fairly gracefully switch from standard flight to vertical and either control the VTOL while TCA just does VTOL engine leveling or just tell TCA to stop and hover at certain altitude and then give it a waypoint to land at.

I am capable of building a decently behaving craft, take of and fly around but landing was always bad.

Of course, I'm using modified engines. With stock engines it'll be out of fuel in few minutes. And since this is meant for space travel I don't want air-breathing engines on it.

The VTOL engines are modified Aerospike engines that run on LH2/Ox and have totally unrealistic atmospheric thrust and ISP. In the latest revision I mounted two at the front for braking during descent from the oribit and it works great. The main engines are a hack of Nertea's Cryo Engines, Kerbal Atomics and NF Propulsion. They're dual mode: like the Aerospikes, they run on LH2/Ox for horizontal takeoff from a runway, atmospheric flight and getting to orbit then they switch to Litium/EC high ISP for space travel.

I know, totally unrealistic, but it's incredible fun.

For the first time in over 1000 hours, I was able to fly around Kerbin and land somewhere far from KSP in one piece! A nice little island.

Now, if only my rovers didn't get torn apart by stupid physics when being detached inside cargo bays, eh...

screenshot25.jpg

screenshot26.jpg

screenshot27.jpg

screenshot27.jpg

screenshot29.jpg

screenshot30.jpg

Edited by Kerbital
7 people like this

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, hazard-ish said:

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two ringsarrow-10x10.png of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this butarrow-10x10.png I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

That's... awesome!

PS. I like the music, my type of electronica/light trance.

Edited by Kerbital

Today I present you: the Mk0 cockpit.

jYgy24f.png

Now going to make it fly :lol:

9 people like this

1 minute ago, Triop said:

Today I present you: the Mk0 cockpit.

jYgy24f.png

Now going to make it fly :lol:

That's a mod, I presume?

14 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

That's a mod, I presume?

Yep, Aviation Cockpits mod I believe...

Tomorrow Jeb is going to test our new heatshielded helmet.

cJnSaVh.png

btw, has anybody seen Jeb ?

JEB ?

9 people like this