[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Magnets, stickers, quick release tabs, wing nuts, alligator clips, bulldog clips, velcro, pointy end (maybe with barbs)... We have many many ways of attaching things without having to use tools.

This, lots of service can be done without tools, good computer cases let you swap drives and even fans without tools. However guns go overboard on this as they require frequent cleaning, infantry guns more so as they are more complex and always jam then the enemy attacks.

Other stuff like cars and apple products require special tools.

I assume the no tools== no skill so also scientists and pilots can do this.

KIS has already saved me twice, first was to rearange solar pannels, second was an stranded kerbal using an life support hexcan to survive on Mun until rescued.

---

One minor issue, chairs do not show up in the containers, think the icon is missing. They are useful in the survival scenarios.

I assume the no tools== no skill so also scientists and pilots can do this.

In the real world, not a safe assumption. I'm familiar with certain high-end "enterprise"-grade computer hardware of a decade or more ago where this was most definitely not the case. No tools required to install or remove a processor board, but if you had no idea what you were doing on install, bent pins were highly likely. Regular service guys were allowed to pull boards, but only the specially blessed were allowed to install them.

can't seem to attach anything to a station. I've got a screwdriver equipped, but everything drops into scene but never connects

EDIT - I'm a narb and can't read. X activates Right Hand Tool. working now!

Edited by Hyratel

Are there any known mod incompatibilities for KIS? I'm having issues being able to place pieces on structures. I can pull them from inventories, but cannot place them on anything (the option comes up, and the part is green, but clicking does nothing). I can drop them successfully, but am then unable to pick the parts back up. If anyone else is having similar issues, I'd love to hear about it. Overall, thanks for the great mod!

I have a weird bug in that I can't see any of the KIS parts in the VAB. But they appear in the Tech Tree and I can purchase them.

Edit: the Mallet and Survey Stake still appear in the VAB. The EVA tab does not appear.

I've worked out where the problem is.

It appears to be -- of all things -- Infernal Robotics. With it installed the icon in the VAB disappears and I can't access any of the KIS parts except the containers, survey stake and mallet.

I've worked out where the problem is.

It appears to be -- of all things -- Infernal Robotics. With it installed the icon in the VAB disappears and I can't access any of the KIS parts except the containers, survey stake and mallet.

Testing with only KIS and IR installed (and dependency modulemanager) does not confirm this hypothesis, everything appears and behaves as it should. Adding Texture Replacer, which I note that you also use, everything was still behaving normally, so it's not easy to identify the cause of the problems you're having.

I suggest you try starting a new sandbox mode game and see if the errors persist. If so, quit the game and upload the full unity log ( [path]\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\output_log.txt ) to dropbox or a similar site and post a report here with the download link. If the problem is not present in sandbox mode, repeat the test in your career save and provide the log in the same way.

Are there any known mod incompatibilities for KIS? I'm having issues being able to place pieces on structures. I can pull them from inventories, but cannot place them on anything (the option comes up, and the part is green, but clicking does nothing). I can drop them successfully, but am then unable to pick the parts back up. If anyone else is having similar issues, I'd love to hear about it. Overall, thanks for the great mod!

Are you using the hot keys? Hold x to attach parts hold g to pick them up or detach them from a ship.

Also, make sure you have a tool equipped. (i.e. wrench or electric screwdriver)

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

Testing with only KIS and IR installed (and dependency modulemanager) does not confirm this hypothesis, everything appears and behaves as it should. Adding Texture Replacer, which I note that you also use, everything was still behaving normally, so it's not easy to identify the cause of the problems you're having.

I suggest you try starting a new sandbox mode game and see if the errors persist. If so, quit the game and upload the full unity log ( [path]\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\output_log.txt ) to dropbox or a similar site and post a report here with the download link. If the problem is not present in sandbox mode, repeat the test in your career save and provide the log in the same way.

I did as you suggested, created a completely fresh KSP install and added only the current versions of KIS, Infernal Robotics and ModuleManager. The same problem occurred -- no EVA tab in the VAB, no access to the parts.

Link to the output_log.txt.

I know your problem: you can't attach parts radially if their config disallows it. You need to drag your part to a node:

http://i.imgur.com/UUpVfgz.png

Yes, you're correct. But my real problem was inexperience and clumsiness. Sometimes I was doing the right thing but failing, and other times I was, e.g., trying to stick the round-8 onto the side of the ship for a minute, and I hadn't figured out that there were multiple problems.

So finally, I was able to land and recover a pod from a rescue mission. I stuck two Oscar-B's (unlike ROUND-8's, they fit in the inventory) onto the back of the defunct Mk1, put a Terrier and a couple of batteries on the back, and a couple of parachutes on the front. Hopped in and fired it up. Screens come to life (KIS/KAS and RPM are my favorite mods at the moment), the engine ignites, and Bill rides a cherry-red horse all the way home.

Five hours of screwing around with this. In-game rewards? Like a few hundred funds. IRL? Priceless.

That said...

That five hours could have been three if there were a way of attaching the ships together. Maybe if I had brought pipes, but I never realized you can't strut two different ships together. If I could strut them such that a Kerbal holding onto one could place parts on or grab them from both, that could have been 30 minutes. Hmm. I'll bet you the claw would have come in handy...

Thanks again for your guidance and taking the time to make that picture. I'm sure it will be helpful to others as well.

Can anyone tell me which plugin it is that complains about KIS being out of date for 1.0.2, and if there's an easy way to shut it up? Since this mod works fine and may not be updated in the near future, and for some reason the plugin opens multiple boxes to tell me about KIS when the game launches.

... same problem occurred -- no EVA tab in the VAB, no access to the parts.

... and we have a result \o/

>> AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'UIPartActionsExtendedRegistration_1_7_2_0' from assembly 'KSPAPIExtensions'

You have an old version of the KSPAPIExtensions DLL there which I think was accidentally included with the previous (0.21.1) version of infernal robotics... You need to update to the latest IR bundle that includes the correct version of the DLL for KSP 1.02

That will almost certainly resolve your problem.

Edited by Roxette
see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113111-1-0-Kerbal-Inventory-System-%28KIS%29-1-1-1?p=1918984&viewfull=1#post19189

Who knows when to wait for the update of this mod for version 1.0.2? Thank's

No need to wait, just get the current version and keep an eye on this thread. The update comes when it comes, you can't make it sooner.

So I have a problem. On this ground base I have (built on the awesome concrete bases), there is a command pod that I cannot remove because it had some OX-4L Solar Panels on it which I broke accidentaly and now I cannot detach them since the base is too small, hence I cannot detach the pod. Is there any way to get rid of an annoying part like this?

... and we have a result \o/

>> AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'UIPartActionsExtendedRegistration_1_7_2_0' from assembly 'KSPAPIExtensions'

You have an old version of the KSPAPIExtensions DLL there which I think was accidentally included with the previous (0.21.1) version of infernal robotics... You need the latest one from here on github or update to the latest IR bundle that includes it.

That will almost certainly resolve your problem.

This is actually incorrect for KSPAPIExtensions only. (The above statement is true for updating every other mod to the best of my knowledge.)

Because of how deep KSPAPIExtensions has to be integrated in the code to do the things it does, when the .dll file is created for KIS, it creates a dependency on that version of KSPAPIExtensions. So if you simply update KSPAPIExtensions without recompiling KIS, KIS will not be able to find KSPAPIExtensions due to the version mismatch and fail to load.

This is why you must always use the specific KSPAPIExtensions file that comes with at mod for that mod, and why KSPAPIExtensions is the only mod that it is expected to have multiple copies of the KSPAPIExtensions.dll file in your GameData directory.

Post from the KSPAPIExtensions author explaining this.

KSPAPIExtensions is an oddity in several ways, but that gives it a lot of options mod authors like.

D.

This is actually incorrect for KSPAPIExtensions only...

I remember this now.... the hazards of neglecting a game for months and then resuming it without re-learning all the nuances :) Thanks.