[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

For the part you want to make stack-able, I think you can just add this to it's cfg -- via direct edit or MM:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKISItem
        stackable = true
    }

If the part in question already has a ModuleKISItem, then just add the stackable attribute.  No idea what happens if you stack items that have persistent data  or anything that marks them as different from one-another.  If I had to guess, they all become identical to the first one placed in inventory.

12 hours ago, cordilon said:

Hey, I encountered the same bug as described by @bradleyjh (some pages ago in this thread). Short version: RealChute parachutes disappear when attaching.

Some additional info though:

- the chute seems to get placed in the world, but without a model and somewhat in the center of the ship as opposed to where it should be

- grabbing an existing RealChute chute from the ship, storing it in a Kerbals inventory and attaching it somewhere else works perfectly fine

I know it's impossible to make a mod compatible with every other mod out there, but attaching emergency chutes some 5sec before atmospheric reentry is just the coolest thing to do ; )

Due to a great variety of issues with attaching things to a kerbounat this ability has been disabled since 1.2.4. This approach is just not right. If some part is being designed to be used by kerbal it must implement KIS module ModuleKISItem. This module allows handling anything that happens with a part in kerbal's hands. It's the only reliable way to make things working.

Saying about chutes in general. "Emergency attaching" it to a kerbal doesn't looks a reasonable thing :) More reasonable and realistic scenario is having a chute in the kerbal's inventory and equipping it when needed. For the latter approach developer of the chute should start supporting KIS extension (via ModuleKISItem).

2 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Due to a great variety of issues with attaching things to a kerbounat this ability has been disabled since 1.2.4. This approach is just not right. If some part is being designed to be used by kerbal it must implement KIS module ModuleKISItem. This module allows handling anything that happens with a part in kerbal's hands. It's the only reliable way to make things working.

Saying about chutes in general. "Emergency attaching" it to a kerbal doesn't looks a reasonable thing :) More reasonable and realistic scenario is having a chute in the kerbal's inventory and equipping it when needed. For the latter approach developer of the chute should start supporting KIS extension (via ModuleKISItem).

Uhm i'm not sure where you got the impression that I want to attach anything to a kerbal ^^ No sir, we are talking about plain old attaching things (RealChute parachutes) to a ship.

38 minutes ago, jmbailey2000 said:

Hmmmm......kind of understand, but I can't seem to correlate that with what I'm seeing in the Settings.cfg file for KIS and I can't find any other files that "tweak" parts like the ladder. Any thoughts on where to look? 

You can use the part in a save and then search for it in the save file (or a craft file), unexpected modules should show up there. If you don't want to dig into the issue, the suggestion with ModuleKisItem should work just as well.

1 hour ago, cordilon said:

Uhm i'm not sure where you got the impression that I want to attach anything to a kerbal ^^ No sir, we are talking about plain old attaching things (RealChute parachutes) to a ship.

Ah! Sorry, I thought you were talking about "personal chutes". Well, debugging will be required here. Some parts need additional settings to work properly, and seems it only happens in the editor. Created a bug for tracking: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/104.

12 hours ago, smjjames said:

What's new in 1.2.5? Which is seemingly just out.

Download link leads to Curseforge page. If you click "Files" then you'll see all the releases. Just click on the interesting one to see the changes. Or follow to the Github link as @cordilon has suggested.

I see that 3.75m containers are planned.  Honestly I would be happy with an identical part to a fuel tank as a temporary fix.  Not sure if it is as easy as take the model and assigning it a KIS class object with inventory.  Any chance of getting a MK3 and MK2 airplane part containers?  Preference would be MK3

Also a part to anchor kerbals in space would be awesome as they tend to float away from ladders :(  Noting like trying to manage 5 kerbals when they keep floating away

Edited by Nich

1 hour ago, Nich said:

Also a part to anchor kerbals in space would be awesome as they tend to float away from ladders :(  Noting like trying to manage 5 kerbals when they keep floating away

Use command seats. :wink:
Seated Kerbals also count when it comes to lifting/moving parts. And through the inventory screen they can still (un)equip tools and attach/detach parts.

Or use KAS cables as tethers and keep them within range.

Edited by Tex_NL

2 hours ago, Perotis said:

So KIS just came out with v1.2.5  but the version I was using is v1.3.4.  how are version numbers supposed to work?

The version number in 1.2.4 file name was wrong and instead said 1.3.4. Was mentioned a couple of pages ago in this post.

Until recently I could build a pack rat rover  by attaching a ground pylon to the ground attaching a front chassis to the pylon, rear chassis to the front chassis, 4 wheels to the chassis & then removing the pylon. Now I can't remove the pylon. Is USI Exploration broken or is the error in KIS?

2 minutes ago, Nicholiathan said:

Until recently I could build a pack rat rover  by attaching a ground pylon to the ground attaching a front chassis to the pylon, rear chassis to the front chassis, 4 wheels to the chassis & then removing the pylon. Now I can't remove the pylon. Is USI Exploration broken or is the error in KIS?

Have you tried removing the rover from the pylon instead of the removing the pylon from the rover? With the new update it is possible to add and remove multipart sections.

15 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Have you tried removing the rover from the pylon instead of the removing the pylon from the rover? With the new update it is possible to add and remove multipart sections.

WTF?! Didn't anyone consider the possibility that we might want to try this on Minmus? Max vertical offset leaves about 15cm of wheel in the dirt providing enough bounce to throw a rover roughly 40 meters off the surface. Good thing I did a quick save.

Edited by Nicholiathan
typo

That's... Odd...

I've only built packrats on Minmus and have never had this problem.  Now I do normally actually build the rover so it's going up at an angle off the pylon, but I've also done it so it's going horizonal without issues.

I then use the unlink, rather than grab option to separate them - since the pylon ends up being the root node.  If I remember correctly, that's holding down the X key while clicking on the chassis part that is attached to the pylon.  Pylon should remain attached to the terrain and the packrat should gently fall to the ground.

Just messed with it, H will always be detach and X is sometimes detach - it's context sensitive.

If you have an electronic driver equipped but are not currently dragging a part, X detaches.  If you are currently dragging a part, it attaches.  And X may do something different with different "equipped" items.

H is definitely the safe bet though.

8 hours ago, Nicholiathan said:

Could you please give a screenshot of what you're doing? What are the exact step your attempt?

12 hours ago, mcortez said:

That's... Odd...

I've only built packrats on Minmus and have never had this problem.  Now I do normally actually build the rover so it's going up at an angle off the pylon, but I've also done it so it's going horizonal without issues.

I then use the unlink, rather than grab option to separate them - since the pylon ends up being the root node.  If I remember correctly, that's holding down the X key while clicking on the chassis part that is attached to the pylon.  Pylon should remain attached to the terrain and the packrat should gently fall to the ground.

12 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Actually, I think it is the H key. 

10 hours ago, mcortez said:

Just messed with it, H will always be detach and X is sometimes detach - it's context sensitive.

If you have an electronic driver equipped but are not currently dragging a part, X detaches.  If you are currently dragging a part, it attaches.  And X may do something different with different "equipped" items.

H is definitely the safe bet though.

All of these points are very helpful and I now know what I was doing wrong. I'd build my rover, attaching the pieces in order: ground pylon, front chassis, rear chassis, 4 wheels, rear wheel cover thingie and 2 seats. I then grabbed the front chassis and tried moved it asside but offetting it left the wheels in the ground resulting in a catastrophic bounce with my Bill Kerman chasing after the rover, missing the board seat button and clicking on the destroy this part button. I'm sure detaching the rover will yeild the desired results. Thanks a million roots. Got to say I absolutely love KIS.

Identified a problem (by testing through all installed mods): since KIS 1.2.4_Proper and 1.2.5 when i EVA and board back, kerbals duplicate.

Can not EVA again: "Hatch obstructed", can not warp/burn "while kerbal is on a ladder", can not switch to "vessel we dont own".

With KIS 1.2.3 no problem.