Do you think Squad should leave the Round8 Toroidal Tank alone?

Do you like the Round8 the way it is?  

522 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Round8 the way it is?

• Yes! Leave it alone! Use something else for Xenon
    • No. I want it to be Xenon.
    • I don't care/I won't use it either way.

Why I think we should keep the Round-8: An essay in 3,000 words or less by GoSlash27

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so without further ado...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/Why_zpsmmzldd8j.jpg

Thanks for reading!

-Slashy

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The design with the ROUND8 is wonderful. However, I would not like if they repurposed the Oscar either. Because both are useful for small crafts.

As everybody is saying, just clone the ROUND8, change it's color and make it a Xenon tank.

Edited by h4didact

I will be sad when this changes.....I love that little LI/OX tank ;.; . As said & shown above and all over here capsules will suffer and all need to be sent home prior to this update. :rolleyes:

But at least I can still use the shape for design/aesthetic :)

ftbII47.jpgPYKYGee.jpg
Edited by KandoKris

Apparently I consider this a big enough issue to come out of lurking and provide some feedback... Well, here things go.

I vote for keeping the Round8 the same. It's an incredibly useful and distinctive tank and changing it to xenon would minimize my uses for it. Xenon could be useful, but removing the LFO version of the donut altogether is, at least in my opinion, a poor decision. If making the Round8 an inline xenon tank is set in stone, I'd like to see another variant with the original LFO stats and heck, why not make an RCS variant while we're there?

Adding that many tanks could naturally be problematic, so maybe these variants could start paving the road to a new feature that allows us to select from a set of part variations while grabbing a part from the list (I'll try to come up with a more solid idea within a month or so). Even a system like Modular Fuel Tanks would be better than completely eliminating the LFO Round8.

Whatever decisions are made in the future, I hope that we can at least hold onto the highly explosive donut/lifesaver for a little longer. Using a noble gas for floatation is cool, but nothing beats the adrenaline rush of floating around in a pool with a potential bomb.

In all honesty, attempting to do so is utterly pointless and unnecessary. Squad knows that their decision wil render half of KSP landers pointless. I understood Squad when they replaced the old wings and the Mk3, but this? This is totally preventable by just duplicating it, recoloring it and naming it "Round 8 Torodial Xenon tank." It's so simple that it can literally be done in seconds. What happens? Take the decision that is both harder for Squad and the players.

Oh, and we can mod it back? Wow, that will totally compensate for the vast amount of designs that users worked very, very hard on that will be rendered useless, anyway! right?!

Sorry about that long rant; I was just frustrated by this decision that stained an otherwise flawless set of Devnotes and update.

They could call it the "xenut"

Better yet they could do what they mentioned ages ago before tweakables and let you choose the tank content in the VAB. Follow that up with a texture that changes depending on the contence. (A coloured stripe would do in most cases).

That would cut the part count by exposing unnecessary parts and hugely increase design diversity.

This could also help allot if resource harvesting adds new intermediate rescources.

Edited by Capt Snuggler

In all honesty, attempting to do so is utterly pointless and unnecessary. Squad knows that their decision wil render half of KSP landers pointless. I understood Squad when they replaced the old wings and the Mk3, but this? This is totally preventable by just duplicating it, recoloring it and naming it "Round 8 Torodial Xenon tank." It's so simple that it can literally be done in seconds. What happens? Take the decision that is both harder for Squad and the players.

Oh, and we can mod it back? Wow, that will totally compensate for the vast amount of designs that users worked very, very hard on that will be rendered useless, anyway! right?!

Sorry about that long rant; I was just frustrated by this decision that stained an otherwise flawless set of Devnotes and update.

Here here! The decision to remove it is lunacy.

- - - Updated - - -

They could call it the "xenut"

Better yet they could do what they mentioned ages ago before tweakables and let you choose the tank content in the VAB. Follow that up with a texture that changes depending on the contence. (A coloured stripe would do in most cases).

That would cut the part count by exposing unnecessary parts and hugely increase design diversity.

This could also help allot if resource harvesting adds new intermediate rescources.

This makes all kinds of sense. It's pity that it's lacking in certain 'circles'..

Voted leave it alone. I use the Round 8 in most of my designs, not because it is necessary, and even if it is technically redundant, but because its awesome part. I'd put it up there with the cubic octagonal strut in terms of its usefulness in creating interesting/fun craft designs.

Major Mistake - Curse

It devided the community in half and this will has divided it in three's

Major mistake- caring who uses which modding client: Curse, KerbalX, The other one, Mediafire, Dropbox, or webarchive spaceport.

Myself I don't mind the change at all. It might make me use Xenon more.

I don't sympathize with everybody for the loss, especially those who clearly used it for clipping but claim "compact design".

And I'm not interested by procedural tank. I do like the lego feeling and the whole challenge of making what I don't have with what I have. (fully) procedural tank would simply hurt balance in our case.

You see, it uses 6 ROUND8 tanks, stacked and hidden (I didn't use any clipping). This is it assembled:

Can you define clipping? I thought it was a cool looking craft and tried to reproduce it without clipping. This is what I got:

M8iSpWy.pngHOWzw7h.png

Your point still stands... :wink:

Can you define clipping? I thought it was a cool looking craft and tried to reproduce it without clipping. This is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/M8iSpWy.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/HOWzw7h.png

Your point still stands... :wink:

The ROUND8 tanks can stick halfway into those bigger tanks by default. Before SQUAD introduced the gizmos, you had to "cheat" to clip parts. However, the ROUND8 was one of the few parts that could stick "inside" (half of it would be outside) other tanks by default. I always thought of that as being a feature of the ROUND8. Considering I did not use neither the "cheat" nor the gizmos to make this lander, I say it does not use clipping.

However, now that you've mentioned, I checked again and have to say that the two bottom ROUND8s (the ones near the main engine) were clipped into each other. Even though I didn't use the gizmos or the cheaty thingy. (I guess the ROUND8 are just prone to clipping, but I like it).

Still, I love this lander and for me is my best design. I can send you the files if you want. Think fast cause next week it may not work anymore.

I'm going to throw my hat in the "can't we have both?" camp.

I'm glad we're getting more xenon parts, but I'm rather disappointed Squad are choosing to go about it in the fashion they are.