Do you think Squad should leave the Round8 Toroidal Tank alone?

Do you like the Round8 the way it is?  

522 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Round8 the way it is?

• Yes! Leave it alone! Use something else for Xenon
    • No. I want it to be Xenon.
    • I don't care/I won't use it either way.

Todays DevNotes came out and I am greatly upset by the news that one of my favorite tanks is being rendered useless. It's a great tank for fine tuning fuel content, it's an eye pleasing design, it works great for rover jump jets, it has a ton of uses. Now, it will apparently have Xenon. I would like to see them reconsider this change. What do you think?

EDIT:

Success!

Max announced on Squadcast that there will be a new Xenon tank and the Round-8 will remain unchanged! Thank you Squad!

Edited by Alshain

What!? that tank is so versatile, ok it's a little quirky, prone to accidentally stacking two inside each other but it has so many uses. Plus it's the ONLY thing in the game with that gold foil texture; I've used it on Apollo replica landers before just because it had that color! And as you say great for small things (where the oscarB doesn't fit well). Without that tank it basically means that all micro probes will be made out of oscarB tanks, we need part diversity in stock. Why can't they just add another Xenon tank and leave the round-8 alone?

Keep the old tank, and make a color change for the equivalent size xenon tank. Very simple change, and no more confusing than the Liquid fuel vs. LFO tanks we saw with space planes.

Haha thats funny I was just so effing excited to have a 1.25 xenon tank. I never use the Round8 but I see the appeal. I voted for xenon because we need that tank but having both is fine with me too.

Also if you're getting hour long burns you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Pthigrivi

I still can't believe that Squad hasn't adopted toggle-able tanks like in B9 so we can choose what we want in a tank. It is such a no brainer, solves so many problems and essentially multiplies the usefulness of the stock parts inventory while decreasing the actual number of parts needed. No more need for Jet fuel tanks and rocket tanks and mono tanks. Just tanks.

I still can't believe that Squad hasn't adopted toggle-able tanks like in B9 so we can choose what we want in a tank. It is such a no brainer, solves so many problems and essentially multiplies the usefulness of the stock parts inventory while decreasing the actual number of parts needed. No more need for Jet fuel tanks and rocket tanks and mono tanks. Just tanks.

If possible, what he said.

Toggle-able tanks? No, we need procedural tanks. The stock tank and wing system is infuriatingly bad, the devs should take a lesson from the procedural mods, so much better...

Oh crap, I was thinking that they were replacing the Oscar (0.625m cylindrical), not the Round8 (the life preserver).

My current save actually uses a pair of Round8s to provide enough delta-v for my Mun lander - it was 1440dv with it's 1.25m tanks, which fell just a tiny bit short of my requirements for a safety margin/maneuvering. There was no space to neatly add a single 1.25m tank, so I attached the Round8s under the two Science Jrs it carries radially, which pushed it up to 1662m/s.

While I'm not opposed to a new tank or the new tank sharing a mesh with an existing one, I don't approve of the loss of this tank. Or the oscar-b for that matter (although that tank is kinda extra-miserable stats-wise and smugly). Also, we need moar 0.625m tanks, not less.

I think everyone wants this, but there are likely some challenges around implementing this into career mode in a meaningful way. I would guess that this is probably something on the list, but where remains to be seen.

Guys, is it possible we've misinterpreted the comment? Have they clarified? They said they were repurposing it, could that mean they're just duplicating the model and texture and providing a second, new Xenon tank and leaving the old one? It does seem really silly to just get rid of a perfectly useful part.

Guys, is it possible we've misinterpreted the comment? Have they clarified? They said they were repurposing it, could that mean they're just duplicating the model and texture and providing a second, new Xenon tank and leaving the old one? It does seem really silly to just get rid of a perfectly useful part.

Hard to misinterpret this post from HarvesteR in this week's devnotes thread:

Looking at the ROUND8's stats, it was redundant with the Oscar-Tank, except in terms of design. We needed an inline Xenon tank much more than we needed another low-capacity LFO tank for probes.

You are, of course, free to mod it back to its original specs if you want to, or create another cfg to have both variants. :)

Cheers