Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

I'm surprised, nobody guessed it right so far!

I'm not going to spoil it though, but I'll debunk a few assumptions:

* It's not something I've been working on in the backburner (I wish I had that kind of spare time).

* It really was implemented from scratch in the span of 2 days.

And a little hint: Try to imagine it's your first time playing. Everyone's ideas are way too advanced.

Have fun! :)

Cheers

Flaps & Spoilers!?!?! :P

I still don't know how I'm going to land a plane without at least Flaps. Someone is going to have to make a Flaps mod.

Still too advanced I think. Plus aren't they already in?

We heard air brakes but last I heard, not Flaps or spoilers. Unless that changed. But really, it was just a joke cause he said he wasn't going to "spoil" it.

In my opinion, there is really only 2 possibilities for this:

1. Clouds

2. Collision mesh for ground scatter.

I hope it is clouds, simply because clouds are polish that is needed to make the game seem finished.

* It's not something I've been working on in the backburner (I wish I had that kind of spare time).

And a little hint: Try to imagine it's your first time playing. Everyone's ideas are way too advanced.

Cheers

Delta-V calculator in the VAB?

Ability to assign a kerbal, in the VAB, to a chair?

Ability to change fuel assigned for each tank?

Edited by Fel

It's a marker for KSC for sure. It took me a month or more to ever land back at the KSC. I couldn't figure out for the life of me where it was. Then I noticed people placing flags near the launch pad. Now I use real trajectories and it puts a huge red dot on the global map which makes it so easy. I've always used clouds from EVE and the space centre is always covered.

And a little hint: Try to imagine it's your first time playing.

This leads me to believe it's something that would benefit first-time players. What that would be is beyond me, however. It's been far too long since I first played the game! :D

It's a marker for KSC for sure. It took me a month or more to ever land back at the KSC. I couldn't figure out for the life of me where it was. Then I noticed people placing flags near the launch pad. Now I use real trajectories and it puts a huge red dot on the global map which makes it so easy. I've always used clouds from EVE and the space centre is always covered.

There is a good guess, I even requested that in the suggestion forum a while back. I hope that is it so we don't have to plant flags, plus it would be nice to have a separate filter for flags vs home marker.

This leads me to believe it's something that would benefit first-time players. What that would be is beyond me, however. It's been far too long since I first played the game! :D

Well, stuff like wiki-integration would help newbies; but I think that's too advanced.

...And a little hint: Try to imagine it's your first time playing. Everyone's ideas are way too advanced...

"I think our minds must be too highly trained, Majikthise."

OK. To help a beginner...

Maybe an indicator on the NavBall to show a recommended heading to reach orbit. Activate the NaviGuide...enter the desired orbit altitude and inclination...launch and follow the marker as best you can. It's not a hated autopilot, since you still need to do the flying...but it could certainly help a beginner get to orbit.

Cheers

You removed the crazy sliding-in-from-the-side menus? SWEET. ;)

Or maybe you set default throttle to 100%. That's a feature I'd have loved as a newbie.

Or maybe tooltips and other indicators that show you can right click things to do stuff. I see a lot of people totally missing that on YouTube.

First time players? How about a way to select a kerbal that requires rescue that doesn't use the [ or ] keys, since just about every single player that joins the forum posts that question at some point? (They all try the tracking center, map view, etc).

An in game tutorial? Im not sure if it could be implemented in just two days, although they did already have the tutorials separate. Maybe they could just overlap the mesh and have it in the main game, like Minecraft.

I think there should be an in-game contract pack you can enable that will not only teach you, but pay you for completing each lesson. Double benefit for the poor newbies who blow up 9 out of every 10 rockets.

Clouds are an aesthetic, rather than a feature. But they make a HUGE difference in my experience. I don't generally do mods, but I always use Astronomer's Visual Pack, just because it makes the universe look more real. So I wouldn't say no to clouds (but I'd bet that's more of a 1.1 or 1.2 thing). Knowing true altitude would be the most useful, easy to implement feater. Delta-V would be even better--but I thought they were having trouble with that.

I guess we'll just find out.

On the other hand, I seem to remember a big letdown the last time they got super-secretive about a feature. Destructable buildings are cool, but because the community worked it out well in advance anyway, it really wasn't much of a surprise.

The theory I like best is an either a beacon to locate KSC, or a marker for the best direction to launch into space.

Ah, I know! How about a keyboard map, showing what all the buttons do. (Seriously, I still don't think I know all the buttons).