Z-Key Aerospace

[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Recommended Posts

confirmed. I'm using it with GPP without a problem.

Awesome mod!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2017 at 4:31 AM, John007qwe said:

Here is the 1.3.1 reduced lag dll. I haven't upgraded to ksp 1.3.1 myself yet, but it should work. If not let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cad7tc9wvcrx6dp/[x] Science!.dll?dl=0

Thank you, I'll get back to you shortly on if it works or not.

 

Edit:
Assembling my interplanetary ship took longer than expected, so I'll only be able to fully test it later today(the 12th). So far however, it seems to be working, as I wasn't getting the 2 - 3 sec lag whenever I passed over a new biome on kerbin.

Edit the 2nd: Definitely working, the only time I noticed a bit of lag with it was when I was time accelerating, and passing over 3 or 4 biomes in seconds.
TY so much, this change should definitely be implemented into the mod, IMO.

Edited by maximusfive
Just an update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, John007qwe said:

Here is the 1.3.1 reduced lag dll. I haven't upgraded to ksp 1.3.1 myself yet, but it should work. If not let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cad7tc9wvcrx6dp/[x] Science!.dll?dl=0

I'm running 1.3.1.

So, I got your dll file and it's a huuuuuuge difference: I'm getting stable FPS and no lag whatsoever anymore, whilst before the game was getting into nasty crawls. I was surprised to know that the biggest hit in performance came from [x] Science and not from the visual eye candy mods that I've installed. And since I'm running KSP on a laptop with a mid range GPU and a dual-core i7, I need every help I can get to stabilize things =).

And I'd even suggest to the developer a "[x] Science Lite" version without the whole list of science points, building upon John007qwe's concept, leaving just the science gattering feature available.  I really like what the mod brings to the table, being one of the "mandatory" mods in all my installs and saves for quite some time now, but I think that I used the full list once, when I installed it for the first time.

Anyways, this is just a suggestion because I know that maintaining things takes time and effort and being a developer in training, I really appreciate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I'm running 1.3.1.

So, I got your dll file and it's a huuuuuuge difference: I'm getting stable FPS and no lag whatsoever anymore, whilst before the game was getting into nasty crawls. I was surprised to know that the biggest hit in performance came from [x] Science and not from the visual eye candy mods that I've installed. And since I'm running KSP on a laptop with a mid range GPU and a dual-core i7, I need every help I can get to stabilize things =).

And I'd even suggest to the developer a "[x] Science Lite" version without the whole list of science points, building upon John007qwe's concept, leaving just the science gattering feature available.  I really like what the mod brings to the table, being one of the "mandatory" mods in all my installs and saves for quite some time now, but I think that I used the full list once, when I installed it for the first time.

Anyways, this is just a suggestion because I know that maintaining things takes time and effort and being a developer in training, I really appreciate that.

All he needs to do is just make it only scan the current biome whenever you only have the "here and now" window open. What's the point of being able to see what science is available on 5 other planets if you're just interested in your current position? Doing that will reduce the cpu time required and remove 99% of the stutter. It should only scan everything when you're looking at the big list, which you can just close whenever you don't need it. And his solution of "getting a faster box" doesn't really work out when you already have a top tier cpu or close to, and still have issues.

Edited by John007qwe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if its on my side or its the mod but I can't see the available experiments for Umbra Space Industries : Aeronomy Sensor Array, Meteorological Survey Package, Engineering Test Bay, Materials Study Mini-Lab on all the planets and moons except kerbin (work perfectly fine on all the biome). I don't understand why it would work on kerbin but no on the rest of the solar system.. (And I'm not using any custom solar system)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gabhunter123 It was a deliberate design decision to restrict the USI Sounding Rocket experiments to the home world only:

If you want to change this for your own game, it can be done by editing the relevant section of the GameData/[x] Science/science.cfg file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.10.2017 at 1:18 AM, Tyko said:

confirmed. I'm using it with GPP without a problem.

I have a problem that the KSC biomes are not showing up in Science here & now, and in available experiments it says that the KSC is located at Midlands, but actually it's Lowlands for me at default KSC location, and may differ depending on KSC Switcher setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Eklykti said:

I have a problem that the KSC biomes are not showing up in Science here & now, and in available experiments it says that the KSC is located at Midlands, but actually it's Lowlands for me at default KSC location, and may differ depending on KSC Switcher setting.

Yea, I spoke too soon...looked like it was working. with the latest update I'm actually seeing more stutter...I launched a 12 piece sounding rocket and the game was stuttering horribly..I reverted back to the dll compiled by @John007qwe which seems to work better. I'm also not seeing prompts to collect science in KSC biomes. Once I'm off the ground it's giving me proper reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Z-Key Aerospace, wonderful addon! But I'm having an issue running X Science in KSP 1.3.1. When the Here & Now window is open in flight, there are severe lag spikes every few seconds. When I turn off the window, lag spikes are gone. I assume something is not right with the code that is looking for biome changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 12:46 PM, John007qwe said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhvpbmngu3t7kkm/KSP-X-Science modified.zip?dl=0

I added a couple lines in ScienceContext.cs

line 385, 386 and 390

 

It should do that already as long as you haven't loaded a flight yet, as it loads everything the first time while in the space station.

After checking out [x] Science! Today I uninstalled it after noticing incredibly annoying stutters. I figured I'd check here to see if anyone else reported it and I found your comment.

I've now re-installed it and added your DLL, thanks a bunch!

The number one thing I watch out for with KSP mods nowadays is performance. So many mods out there that kill game performance :(

Maybe there should be a "Performance stamp of approval" by the best modders out there so that people know whether a mod is actually written in a decent way <_<

edit: Just wanted to note that I'm not meaning to rain on modders' parades. I've dabbled in programming ever since I was 12 and played with Basic and if there's one thing I know, it's that I don't trust myself to write secure/fast code. It's a tricky thing, the kind where you only realize how obvious something was *after* you figure out how it worked. All modders out there, I appreciate the effort. The best modders out there, I appreciate the dedication.

Edited by Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jognt said:

After checking out [x] Science! Today I uninstalled it after noticing incredibly annoying stutters. I figured I'd check here to see if anyone else reported it and I found your comment.

I've now re-installed it and added your DLL, thanks a bunch!

The number one thing I watch out for with KSP mods nowadays is performance. So many mods out there that kill game performance :(

Maybe there should be a "Performance stamp of approval" by the best modders out there so that people know whether a mod is actually written in a decent way <_<

edit: Just wanted to note that I'm not meaning to rain on modders' parades. I've dabbled in programming ever since I was 12 and played with Basic and if there's one thing I know, it's that I don't trust myself to write secure/fast code. It's a tricky thing, the kind where you only realize how obvious something was *after* you figure out how it worked. All modders out there, I appreciate the effort. The best modders out there, I appreciate the dedication.

Happy to be of help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Z-Key Aerospace I read a couple posts from back in 2015 that people were having issues with their game freezing every time the [x] science window popped up, and you acknowledged the issues and had plans to fix it. 

I am running th latest version of [x] Science and KSP 1.3 and my game freezes for up to 4 SECONDS every time the science window pops up. Is there any fix? 4 seconds is a long time.

I have 32gb of RAM and a 6 core 5930K processor. Titan X (12gb VRAM)

Thanks for any help :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd.  Not saying you're not getting the freezes, but I'm running 60+ mods, including this one, in KSP v1.3.0 on a system that's less powerful than yours and I get no freeze.  Have you tried stripping mods until the problem goes away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Odd.  Not saying you're not getting the freezes, but I'm running 60+ mods, including this one, in KSP v1.3.0 on a system that's less powerful than yours and I get no freeze.  Have you tried stripping mods until the problem goes away?

Well, given that the freezing occurs when there is notification that either:

a. I enter a new biome, or

b. The science window appears upon availability

It's safe to assume that the problem would go away if I uninstall [x] Science (because those notification events wouldn't occur).

The freezing seems to occur because of the notifications, not because I'm entering a new "situation".

 

 

Edited by Voodoo8648

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 4:20 PM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Fed up of waiting for 1.2.9 gonna release this any way.  I've stopped coding it for the moment.  I left some logging in but I think that may be a good thing for a moment.  I don't really use Orbital Science so it's only had so much testing.

V5.6 - 04-Apr-2017 Built against KSP V1.2.2
* Situation bug on checklist window in KSC scene, now correctly becomes blank.
* Reading stored setting for checklist filter button correctly
* Orbital Science support for Here&Now trigger buttons
* Only using stock calls for triggering science if we can't use DMagic ones (seems to be best)

Get it while it's hot.  Don't tell other authors of weird science mods or they will all want one.

So [x] Science! still isn't going to correctly predict the under water stuff from DMagic.  Anything that more-or-less complies with stock will work as it always did.  It's just that you can now press the button to trigger it from Here&Now.

 

When I get back to this, I have a couple more setting bugs to fix and I want to start storing the position of the Here&Now window.

 

I'm a little but curious. Did version 5.6 add some support for dmagic sciences? I'm running ksp version 1.22 and [x]Science 5.6, with dmagic science 1.3.8, plus also ScanSat. I haven't had a problem with the "Science Now" button not working, like some people reported on the thread, with items that dmagic changes, like the magnetometer.

But [x]science does not seem to know any science related to dmagic exclusive items. I wasn't super sure about the experiments that I could do with dmagic items, like SIGINT, etc, and was hoping [x]science would shed some light. Adding the item, simulating in an orbit that I could use the item for science, etc, and [x]Science made no notion of knowing the item existed, or that there were available experiments with it. Also looking for the all science tab and nothing. And I couldn't find anything in the settings. For reference, the total science that it shows me is 3779.

Is this the expected behavior, or does it support dmagic in some fashion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Well, given that the freezing occurs when there is notification that either:

a. I enter a new biome, or

b. The science window appears upon availability

It's safe to assume that the problem would go away if I uninstall [x] Science (because those notification events wouldn't occur).

The freezing seems to occur because of the notifications, not because I'm entering a new "situation".

 

 

You can try out the dll i compiled to help with stuttering. It's a few pages back. I made some slight changes to the mod, so make sure to read that.

Edited by John007qwe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

@Z-Key Aerospace I read a couple posts from back in 2015 that people were having issues with their game freezing every time the [x] science window popped up, and you acknowledged the issues and had plans to fix it. 

I am running th latest version of [x] Science and KSP 1.3 and my game freezes for up to 4 SECONDS every time the science window pops up. Is there any fix? 4 seconds is a long time.

I have 32gb of RAM and a 6 core 5930K processor. Titan X (12gb VRAM)

Thanks for any help :) 

I also recommend you try out John007qwe's tweaked .dll file. It fixed the stutter for me. Though for me it was a slight stutter, not an outright freeze. While you're at it, check out MemGraph and give that RAM of yours something to do to vastly reduce the amount of garbage collection cycles per minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jognt said:

I also recommend you try out John007qwe's tweaked .dll file. It fixed the stutter for me. Though for me it was a slight stutter, not an outright freeze. While you're at it, check out MemGraph and give that RAM of yours something to do to vastly reduce the amount of garbage collection cycles per minute.

Will do! I'll try those out, thanks guys :) 

@John007qwe

Edited by Voodoo8648

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John007qwe said:

You can try out the dll i compiled to help with stuttering. It's a few pages back. I made some slight changes to the mod, so make sure to read that.

Well, I tried out both the DLL, and the MemGraph... and neither worked. I followed the instructions on the MemGraph thread but I still get the really bad freezing every 50s or so. 

The garbage collections PLUS the X Science freezes combined still make it unplayable. 

Maybe I'm not installing the DLL correctly? I notice there are many files in the download and I'm not sure exactly what I need to copy and where to copy it to. I copied the [x] Science! folder into my Game Data folder. Can you tell me exactly how to install the DLL file?

@Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@John007qwe & @Jognt here is a screenshot of my MemGraph.... each individual green spike is a 2-3 second game freeze.. USUALLY it is from an [x] science notification. Each red garbage collection line is also a game freeze... you can see how much my game freezes :( Q4gFo0S.png  Q8DSkIt.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoo8648 said:

@John007qwe & @Jognt here is a screenshot of my MemGraph.... each individual green spike is a 2-3 second game freeze.. USUALLY it is from an [x] science notification. Each red garbage collection line is also a game freeze... you can see how much my game freezes :( Q4gFo0S.png  Q8DSkIt.png

I'm no expert on memgraph (only read most pages this week) but that looks to me like you're running a mod (probably) that's creating substantial amounts of garbage once in a while. I suggest you post in the memgraph thread so the fine folk over there can help you pinpoint the evildoer. All I can say is: remove mods one at a time to see which one causes this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jognt said:

I'm no expert on memgraph (only read most pages this week) but that looks to me like you're running a mod (probably) that's creating substantial amounts of garbage once in a while. I suggest you post in the memgraph thread so the fine folk over there can help you pinpoint the evildoer. All I can say is: remove mods one at a time to see which one causes this.

Well, After restarting KSP and watching, the MemGraph, the intervals range from 46s to 70s.... I don't have so much of a problem with the garbage dumps as a do with the freezes caused by [x] science.... 

With having [x] science installed, I found that any interaction whatsoever with anything science related causes freezing. It doesn't necessarily need to be the automatic pop up... If I right click on an experiment and run the science sample, the game freezes. After UNINSTALLING [x] science, the problem vanished. I can run science experiments all day long without the game freezing. I installed [x] science again, and the problem returned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I uninstalled [x] Science, but now I'm finding that the list of completed and available science is quite crucial to a career. Is there a way to perhaps disable the Here and Now feature altogether and have just the [x] science portion that displays the available science? Maybe the "here and now" feature is the problem causing the freezing :/

Maybe I didn't install @John007qwe's DLL file correctly? (John) could you tell me specifically how to install your dll file? 

Edited by Voodoo8648

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I uninstalled [x] Science, but now I'm finding that the list of completed and available science is quite crucial to a career. Is there a way to perhaps disable the Here and Now feature altogether and have just the [x] science portion that displays the available science? Maybe the "here and now" feature is the problem causing the freezing :/

Maybe I didn't install @John007qwe's DLL file correctly? (John) could you tell me specifically how to install your dll file? 

If you don't want Here and Now, then just don't open that window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I uninstalled [x] Science, but now I'm finding that the list of completed and available science is quite crucial to a career. Is there a way to perhaps disable the Here and Now feature altogether and have just the [x] science portion that displays the available science? Maybe the "here and now" feature is the problem causing the freezing :/

Maybe I didn't install @John007qwe's DLL file correctly? (John) could you tell me specifically how to install your dll file? 

You just have to overwrite the original dll with mine to make it work. Though if you read what I changed, I've disabled some stuff in the main science list to not include everything at once to reduce stutter, so if that's what you use it for, my dll won't be of much use to you. I've designed it mainly for use with the here and now window, as that's what I use this mod for. But you can atleast try and see if it does help with the stuttering :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.