Constellation Mission Packs Discussion Thread!

Still silently tweaking things in the background. I have 20 minutes/day time slot for Constellation things, and recently, It's been spant on Altair building, testing, scrapping, and redesigning, as well as ranting for stock 5m parts.

LOL keep going mate!

I'm so happy I have already made one! And before the offset tools. *engage smug face*

That allows me to rest on my laurels a little bit. :blush:

Edited by Majorjim

So you guys giving up on this?

I have taken a break due to game performance issues. I know things will be better in unity5 as something said by the devs pricked up my ears. I have recently started building differently so I am going to (at some point) rebuild (sigh) the whole package. Rebuilding these days is actually super quick so it might not be that far away.

Anyone else still working on it?

Been sick for a while, too tired to Kerbal. Will get back to the project soon.

Ok Guys. I understand.

I am thinking I will completely remake all the craft to reduce part count without sacrificing aesthetics. Sigh.. Anywhoo New craft pack is half way done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

BUMP!

With 1.1 coming out soontm I'm getting back started on my Constellation mission pack!

Unfortunately, in that time, my standards for replicas have gone up.  So I'm rebuilding almost everything, starting with...

Altair:

mm3e2sx.png
Based on this:

Spoiler

altair_lsam_ortho__new__by_unusualsuspex

This,

lsama.jpg

And this:

LSAM_HDRI_3_400x400.jpg30f931ec-45ad-490

Gone is the weirdly small airlock and overly visibly strut endpoints.  With it still is the use of ore tanks, and stayputniks.

Cool man. Interesting decision to choose that version of the Altair. I would swap the 'ballast' Stayputs for RCS tanks and use them for ascent. You cannot use rockets anymore as they will destroy the lower stages every time..

I have already made a massively part reduced version of my Altair using an empty ore tank as a crew cabin. The only thing in the whole pack  that is a problem are those pesky stock fairings. If 1.1 delivers on performance I will just make another custom one I think.

Good luck with the rest of the build dude.

11 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Cool man. Interesting decision to choose that version of the Altair. I would swap the 'ballast' Stayputs for RCS tanks and use them for ascent. You cannot use rockets anymore as they will destroy the lower stages every time..

I have already made a massively part reduced version of my Altair using an empty ore tank as a crew cabin. The only thing in the whole pack  that is a problem are those pesky stock fairings. If 1.1 delivers on performance I will just make another custom one I think.

Good luck with the rest of the build dude.

I've tried the RCS tanks, and they look too small on it.  I'm just going to clip more fuel tanks.  I think I can leave a hole through the lower stage and let the engine fire through that.

Thanks!

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

19 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I've tried the RCS tanks, and they look to small on it.  I'm just going to clip more fuel tanks.  I think I can leave a hole through the lower stage and let the engine fire through that.

Thanks!

No worries man.

Yeah that's a option. Do some test before committing to those engines though. they are super destructive now. And the RCS tanks are about the same size and would not be just empty weight..

OK.

No more distractions. My shuttle is on hold and my tank tracks project too. I will work on nothing but this until the rebuild is complete.

I ma looking over the craft again today and they are so cool they really deserve to be given a priority. I will check back in when I am close to release. Good luck chaps!

Is anyone other than myself and @Mad Rocket Scientist still working on this?

I have finished the ascent lander and work is going well on the hab lander. I got the parts way down so no single craft has over 400 parts. I just landed the ascent lander on Duna (no shell yet) and sitting on the surface all rovers deployed I get a green/yellow timer. I know this will improve in 1.1 so I am very happy indeed!

Things to do are the launchers which should not be too hard. The aero-shells which may cause a headache depending on how I decide to make them. DTV is done, under 340 parts with the Orion docked. I am super happy with my progress and the landers look amazing on Duna!

How you getting on @Zucal @chiken1880 @DMSP  @SaturnianBlue @Yukon0009

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, DMSP said:

Not very well. Real life got in the way and then I lost interest and motivation.

Maybe when 1.1 comes out I will give this a shot again. We will see.

I understand man. Ive been working on the rebuild on and off for around 7 months now.. They are time consuming and as you say, life keeps getting in the way..

EDIT: I just read through this thread again. It was so fun when we where all working on this at the same time! I really hope you guys pick it up again soon.

Edited by Majorjim

On 03/20/2016 at 2:39 AM, Yukon0009 said:

'll try to pick it up as soon as possible, though.

Glad to hear it man!

I must be a glutton for punishment.. I can confirm stock proc farings are NOT suitable for an aeroshell.. The many pieces destroy the lander every time. Even with the clamshell mod.. Nuts.. So I will again have to make a custom fairing. I truly hope 1.1 helps!!

4 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Woah, look at this!  800 parts @ 25 FPS! 

https://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/v/56451145

And with streaming!  1.1 will be so much fun!

RLY?? Is this the squadcast? I saw him playing on a laptop that was running badly then left the stream. I will check that vid later this eve. The excitement!!

4 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Woah, look at this!  800 parts @ 25 FPS! 

https://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/v/56451145

And with streaming!  1.1 will be so much fun!

It says the video was removed or deleted..

Edited by Majorjim

8 hours ago, Majorjim said:

RLY?? Is this the squadcast? I saw him playing on a laptop that was running badly then left the stream. I will check that vid later this eve. The excitement!!

It says the video was removed or deleted..

Huh, the link works for me.  Here it is again: https://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/v/56451145

If the link doesn't work again, you can try searching.  The title of the vid is:

Launching a 600+ Part Rocket in KSP 1.1 (exp) Launching a 600+ Part Rocket in KSP 1.1 (exp)

And it's broadcast by KSPTV

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Huh, the link works for me.  Here it is again: https://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/v/56451145

If the link doesn't work again, you can try searching.  The title of the vid is:

Launching a 600+ Part Rocket in KSP 1.1 (exp) Launching a 600+ Part Rocket in KSP 1.1 (exp)

And it's broadcast by KSPTV

Yeah its my old macbook laptop that wants me to pay for the new OS to update my internet stuff and I hate being forced to pay for something so it has limitations. I will watch on my desktop later. Cheers dude.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.