[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 9/30/2015 at 3:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

2pdtMii.png
ae1IPCZ.png
g1xlZyP.png

I know this particular post is pretty old (being from the initial release and all) but I was wondering what visual mods you used for these pictures. And if TUFX was involved, which preset did you use?

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

This launcher is... disturbing, to say the least.

33 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

I’m pretty sure the mere existence of this rocket is a crime against humanity :P

Ya'll don't like Saturn I-X? :P

34 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

My station can.

20220514150845_1_by_pudgemountain_df5fk3a-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjVmazNhLTY1OGUwZDc5LTU3NmMtNGE1ZC05YTg4LTk0NDgzNjdhNDNmOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.MHqXrhhVIecbKH-rNfvNASqx-y38HfdM1LoYL9KxMiE

Well, the S-II is hardwelded to Skylab, which doesn't make any hinge like areas. Now, docking S-II to a docking port will probably create problems. Yes, I could just use Quantum struts, but... Docking S-II to the front of Skylab? Would just look... off to me. 

39 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Neat!

I actually just downloaded TUFX and camera tools to get better screenshots. How do you get rid of the stars in background like you did here?

There are mods made by someone that changes the space sky to a few or even no stars unless Distant objects and and planet packs. But I forgot the name and who made it.

As for the TUFX profile I mainly use Ballisticfox's Vintage HDR profile which gives it that nice feel to it but a warning it makes the terrain darker and hard to maunever in some places.

Edited by Pudgemountain

1 hour ago, Blufor878 said:

Neat!

I actually just downloaded TUFX and camera tools to get better screenshots. How do you get rid of the stars in background like you did here?

Easiest way is to install Distant Object Enhancement. That will reduce the brightness when you look at a planet close by if Dynamic Sky Brightness is turned on (should be by default). However to turn it off completely you can go to the Distant Object Enhancement settings and turn the maximum sky brightness setting under dynamic brightness all the way down. Now your skybox will always be black regardless of what you're looking at.

52 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Easiest way is to install Distant Object Enhancement. That will reduce the brightness when you look at a planet close by if Dynamic Sky Brightness is turned on (should be by default). However to turn it off completely you can go to the Distant Object Enhancement settings and turn the maximum sky brightness setting under dynamic brightness all the way down. Now your skybox will always be black regardless of what you're looking at.

Thanks, man! I downloaded distant object too because someone else recommended it. But your advice is still very welcome!

8 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Where is the "dislike" button?

I am joking, of course, though this thing is monumentally cursed. It's like SRB-X but for Saturn.

That's exactly what I was going for. SRB-X, but Saturn.

*Realizes he could make it worse by using the AJ-260 SRBs.*

:o 

*Starts cackling like an evil villian*

Oh, as for how it flies, rather well once you add some reaction  control wheels and fins. And you have to stage it like a Titan III/IV.

Edited by GoldForest

18 hours ago, GoldForest said:

HpWcU4y.png

uiSNi88.png

bVSlqzM.png

aQR9cM3.png

FE1XvoR.png

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

*Notices this is his fifth post of images on a single page*

Oh no, anyway... Lab Module II is docked to Skylab. 

Not entirely sure what to do next with this... any ideas? Connect ISS to Skylab? Just keep adding more modules? Make Skylab into an ISS that doesn't follow the original?

Immediate restraining order.

49 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

TL:DR version:    The real C-8 was never meant to fly. It is meant as a goat-prod to Congress.

To be fair, it was proposed by Vought+McDonnell+Hughes+Lockheed in a 1961 RFP (pics and PDFs below); however, this is basically the most detailed a direct ascent Apollo  I've seen, so it's very likely that LOR became popular inside the agency shortly after this was published. Coincidentally, this might be the easiest DA NOVA to build: the braking stage has the exact S-IV diameter, the TLI stage has the exact S-IVB one, and the second stage is almost S-II sized. It's basically only the first stage that requires NFLV parts
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/attachments/x-8398-summary-apollo-spacecraft-proposal-pt2-pdf.143463/
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/attachments/x-8398-summary-apollo-spacecraft-proposal-pt1-pdf.143462/

unknown.png?width=1620&height=589unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by Beccab

14 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Not KSP and not what I intended but I don't know these might make interesting Kitbashes with BDB parts if done by someone with enough skill and paitence.

untitled_by_pudgemountain_dfel74c-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzE1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmVsNzRjLTA4MjkwODNjLTFhZWEtNDkyNi1iZjczLTM4NjU1M2U0ZWJjNy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.sOVbCn6IT8RkVsW2WgE0YwWrV_vEZ1SpBYpN2cWgRDE

untitled_by_pudgemountain_dfel78b-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjUzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmVsNzhiLTYxY2JiNTQyLTRjODMtNDRmMC04MmE3LWIwODJlODVhYmI3Ni5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.oaPLCwpOO-SgMoTZ4HbMYc-UamQK7_zPrT6RRC1uYXg

Ferb, I know what we're going to do today!

24 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Not KSP and not what I intended but I don't know these might make interesting Kitbashes with BDB parts if done by someone with enough skill and paitence.

untitled_by_pudgemountain_dfel74c-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzE1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmVsNzRjLTA4MjkwODNjLTFhZWEtNDkyNi1iZjczLTM4NjU1M2U0ZWJjNy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.sOVbCn6IT8RkVsW2WgE0YwWrV_vEZ1SpBYpN2cWgRDE

untitled_by_pudgemountain_dfel78b-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjUzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmVsNzhiLTYxY2JiNTQyLTRjODMtNDRmMC04MmE3LWIwODJlODVhYmI3Ni5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.oaPLCwpOO-SgMoTZ4HbMYc-UamQK7_zPrT6RRC1uYXg

I think DALL-E needs a little work, those look nothing like Saturn V. They look more like sized down Sea Dragons. Hell, the top left one looks like a Saturn I without an upper stage.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I think DALL-E needs a little work, those look nothing like Saturn V. They look more like sized down Sea Dragons. Hell, the top left one looks like a Saturn I without an upper stage.

Aye, the Top right looks like a Saturn designed by JAXA.

1 hour ago, Pudgemountain said:

Not KSP and not what I intended but I don't know, these might make interesting Kitbashes with BDB parts if done by someone with enough skill and paitence.

Started with the bottom right rocket. Struck me as something in the medium/smallsat category. First image was meant to emulate the original, but I couldn't get the cloud cover right.

52397392506_d56407d2ff_o.png

52396878472_e252461f7d_o.png

52397679129_c1e2598da8_o.png

I call it the XN1. XN is short for the mandarin words for "little bird."

Edited by Blufor878

Re: C-8. Below are MSFC critiques on the program as of June 23, 1962.

"The schedule is shown is considered optimistic even with the assumptions listed. It is a success schedule in which nothing goes wrong, all technical judgements are correct, and there are no failures. The six (6) vehicle R&D program is extremely undesirable considering the jump in technology from Saturn C-1 to C-8. The decision required on July 1, 1962 to meet the schedule cannot be made without a major change in NASA policy and without a complete disruption of the Apollo program and the thousands of personnel now doing productive work towards the mission objective. A major redirection at this time would cause considerable delays in the schedule to bring C-8 to the same status that C-5 is today. Based on past experience at MSFC in implementing programs of this magnitude, it is estimated that the first C-8 flight could take place in May 1967. This allows for time to stop the presently approved C-5 program and to the define the C-8 program in sufficient detail that decisions can be made, facilities can be started and the contractors can be given sufficient information to start the stage development. Considering the technical uncertainties in the C-8 development, a 10 vehicle R&D program is almost mandatory although secondary missions could be flown starting on flight No. 6. Manned flights should not be considered prior to No. 11 in March 1969."

Edited by Jcking

4 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

Not KSP and not what I intended but I don't know, these might make interesting Kitbashes with BDB parts if done by someone with enough skill and paitence

[We've all seen this image by now so -snip-]

I like the upper middle-right with the Saturn V being serviced by an old school water tower...

6 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

Not KSP and not what I intended but I don't know, these might make interesting Kitbashes with BDB parts if done by someone with enough skill and paitence.

I think this is a neat way to provide inspiration for KSP rocket designs. I've been doing it the whole day, and I think it's a unique thought exercise. With your blessing, I wouldn't mind turning this into a dedicated thread for people to post ai images and the KSP rockets derived from them.