The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

37 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Just Jim - wait - what did I just read??

Wait... NOOO! Don't say it's so... :(

Just the backstory... I was under the impression I should get it done with as fast as possible and back to KSP.... unless everyone wants me to stretch it out some more. I can make it longer and add more detail, that's easy.

The Saga itself will most likely be over 100 chapters... depending on how the 1.3 upgrade goes. I'm not sure... I keep changing things in my head, it's hard to predict. Or if @SQUAD adds any more tidbits I can play with... then all bets are off the table.... again... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

aww. Oh, wait!

What's funny is this seems so off-topic... until you read this:

Spoiler

FEAR THE BEAST WITH JUST ONE EYE.

And bear in mind this screenshot... then it becomes a really fun, creepy coincidence.... or is it???  :sticktongue:

Spoiler

OVCA78C.png

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

What's funny is this seems so off-topic... until you read this:

You know, I didn't realize that until you pointed it out!

TBH, that thing that I wrote is kinda pertaining to the story...

Edited by qzgy

59 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

And bear in mind this screenshot... then it becomes a really fun, creepy coincidence.... or is it???  :sticktongue:

Well, the whole reason I was posting Gravity Falls references is because someone brought up Gravity Falls a few pages back, and the reason they brought it up is because they thought the Krakens were comparable in vileness to Bill Cipher, so it isn't much of a coincidence that a certain item pertaining to Bill is similar to a certain item pertaining to the Krakens. They are sure to occupy the same place in the insanity/creepiness spectrum.

13 hours ago, qzgy said:

PS - Very nice message. Here's another code (just for fun): RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT?

Here we go again

Spoiler

This seems like it is using a 5 letter alphabet, which I wouldn't know how to decode. Due to the amount of times some letters follow themselves, it seems like a skipping code again, but the GTGTG sequence is against this as it would generate 2T or 3G in a row. There is also certainly a letter-shifting mechanism at work, but I seem unable to find out how it works. Or at least, it's so much harder than reading up on all the fanfics I follow that I'd rather do that, up to A Jool Odyssey!

EDIT: Maybe the solution has something to do with the ADFGX cipher*, which is quite complicated and encrypts everything using 5 letters. The letters we got are different letters, but trial and error may find the code

The hypothesis that this message is encoded with ADFGX is supported by the fact that all words have an even number of characters. First I needed to convert to ADFGV, which I first did with the conversion

RGTNL

ADFGV

A decrypter using a normal alphabet and one of the following keywords didn't work.

Keywords used: 'SAGA' 'EMIKO' 'STATION' '' (I didn't enter a keyword) 'THE SAGA OF EMIKO STATION' 'GRAVITY FALLS' 'KEYWORD' 'DECRYPT'

Now I'm trying with

GLNRT

ADFGV

That doesn't work with any of the keywords above either...

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADFGVX_cipher

Edited by superstrijder15

13 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Well, the whole reason I was posting Gravity Falls references is because someone brought up Gravity Falls a few pages back, and the reason they brought it up is because they thought the Krakens were comparable in vileness to Bill Cipher, so it isn't much of a coincidence that a certain item pertaining to Bill is similar to a certain item pertaining to the Krakens. They are sure to occupy the same place in the insanity/creepiness spectrum.

Actually I was the first to bring up Gravity Falls, as an example to the kind of town Belladonna Cove is.... one of those weird ones like the Falls... or Arkham... where anything is possible, and weirdness lurks just beneath the shadows.

As for Bill Cipher... I didn't really have him in mind at the time... but there are several similarities between him and Carlenna/Mary-Sue/Asanath/Crazy-Kraken, yes. :confused:

(one of these days I have to decide just what her name really is...)

13 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

As for Bill Cipher... I didn't really have him in mind at the time... but there are several similarities between him and Carlenna/Mary-Sue/Asanath/Crazy-Kraken, yes. :confused:

(one of these days I have to decide just what her name really is...)

How about............................... *Looks through KSP name history to find good random name* Salsa?! Okay I swear I didn't put that in. Congrats Carlenna/Mary-Sue/Asanath/Crazy-Kraken; Your new name is Salsa.

On 7/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, greenTurtle1134 said:

N.REUYTEEERNYOATMSIUTJAHHTTIRWETWSOAPETBNEEHITCRNAAEEFH,TYEKKSOOVTNSINIRNURTUHBTORTAEEMDONCASSALHLEAMFIYTTYIMVLATROGLNOEXHAW

Hmm... 

Running it backwards as the hint suggests gives us "WAHXEONLGORTALVMIYTTYIFMAELHLASSACNODMEEATROTBHUTRUNRINISNTVOOSKKEYT,HFEEAANRCTIHEENBTEPAOSWTEWRITTHHAJTUISMTAOYNREEETYUER.N" 

A lost of times, codes use extraneous letters. Let's try removing every other letter. We'll keep the beginning W, and then work from there. That gives us "WHENGRAVITYFALLSANDEARTHTURNSTOSKY,FEARTHBEASTWITHJUSTONEYE". PROMISING! 

If we start by removing the W, we get "AXOLOTLMYTIMEHASCOMETOBURNIINVOKETHEANCIENTPOWERTHATIMAYRETURN". ALSO PROMISING! 

Let's add spaces: 

WHEN GRAVITY FALLS AND EARTH TURNS TO SKY, FEAR THE BEAST WITH JUST ONE EYE 

AXOLOTL MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I MAY RETURN 

Those are... coherent messages! 

The first one appears to be a slight misquote of McGucket saying, "When gravity falls and earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye!" 

The second is Bill's supposed last words (he may still be alive), "A-X-O-L-O-T-L, MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN! I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I MAY RETURN!" 

Nice references! 

---

18 hours ago, qzgy said:

RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT?

If spoken aloud, it sort of sounds like Perry the Platypus.

7 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

Here we go again

Hide contents

This seems like it is using a 5 letter alphabet, which I wouldn't know how to decode. Due to the amount of times some letters follow themselves, it seems like a skipping code again, but the GTGTG sequence is against this as it would generate 2T or 3G in a row. There is also certainly a letter-shifting mechanism at work, but I seem unable to find out how it works. Or at least, it's so much harder than reading up on all the fanfics I follow that I'd rather do that, up to A Jool Odyssey!

EDIT: Maybe the solution has something to do with the ADFGX cipher*, which is quite complicated and encrypts everything using 5 letters. The letters we got are different letters, but trial and error may find the code

The hypothesis that this message is encoded with ADFGX is supported by the fact that all words have an even number of characters. First I needed to convert to ADFGV, which I first did with the conversion

RGTNL

ADFGV

A decrypter using a normal alphabet and one of the following keywords didn't work.

Keywords used: 'SAGA' 'EMIKO' 'STATION' '' (I didn't enter a keyword) 'THE SAGA OF EMIKO STATION' 'GRAVITY FALLS' 'KEYWORD' 'DECRYPT'

Now I'm trying with

GLNRT

ADFGV

That doesn't work with any of the keywords above either...

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADFGVX_cipher

You're on the right track.

Spoiler

It is based on the ADFGX cipher, but does not use the standard Polybius square, instead being based off of one made form the letters [r,l,g,t,n] (not necessarily in that order.) Also, no additional keyword was used to scramble the ordering of the words, so if the square is found, you can just put it the letters through it.

Nice that you are trying to solve it!

On 6/18/2016 at 3:16 PM, Just Jim said:

Once inside the safety of the bunker, Rokea looked out to see young Werhner once again, only this time he was out on the launch pad sitting atop what looked like a chair... a chair with rockets attached to it!

vyuZJ76.png

Well, that sure went better than the last guy who tried it, at least in our universe. :D

I know, I know, bad zombie post! No cookie!

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

You're on the right track.

Hide contents

It is based on the ADFGX cipher, but does not use the standard Polybius square, instead being based off of one made form the letters [r,l,g,t,n] (not necessarily in that order.) Also, no additional keyword was used to scramble the ordering of the words, so if the square is found, you can just put it the letters through it.

Nice that you are trying to solve it!

I got that far, but there are 5!=120 possibilities, and I would have to bruteforce them with search-replace to change the letters to ADFGV to put them into a decoder, which I'm quite frankly just not gonna do. And that is assuming the columns and rows would have the same marking.

3 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Let's add spaces: 

WHEN GRAVITY FALLS AND EARTH TURNS TO SKY, FEAR THE BEAST WITH JUST ONE EYE 

AXOLOTL MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I MAY RETURN 

Those are... coherent messages! 

The first one appears to be a slight misquote of McGucket saying, "When gravity falls and earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye!" 

The second is Bill's supposed last words (he may still be alive), "A-X-O-L-O-T-L, MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN! I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I MAY RETURN!" 

Nice references! 

Alright, you apparently-independently solved it (I'd confirmed @qzgy's answer earlier) and found the reference, so hats off to you!

Same as with him, you get a pat on the back, two likes, and a namesake in my KSP save after I do something moderately useful.

3 hours ago, obney kerman said:

Let's stop talking about gravity falls before one of the moderators comes with an agonizer. I think they are abusing their power a little... *BZZZZZTT* AUUGH! Okay the moderators are good people!

Yeah... probably best we behave. So an update to bring things back on-topic...

I've been really busy the last couple days with R/L stuff... but I think I have the next few days to myself, so I'll be diving right into screenshots first thing, and try for the next chapter sometime this weekend if possible.

This is gonna be a really good one... but I'm not giving up any spoilers or teasers... well, just one... there's a really good chance of a special guest appearance by one of the Squad members in the next chapter (or three)... :)

On 7/5/2017 at 5:53 PM, qzgy said:

RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT?

Alright, let me take a crack at this. 

The message contains only five letters. Frequency analysis gives us ~27.78% N, ~27.78% G, ~20.37% R, ~16.67% T, ~7.41% L. Maybe let's switch to a different tactic. 

Five letters only indicates that it could be a variant of the ADFGX cipher. We'll need to arrange an ADFGX table, with RGNTL (not necessarily in that order) replacing the ADFGX. However, there are 120 (5!) possible arrangements of the characters RGNTL. Brute-force attack it is... 

The possible permutations are: 

Spoiler
R,G,N,T,L
G,R,N,T,L
N,R,G,T,L
R,N,G,T,L
G,N,R,T,L
N,G,R,T,L
N,G,T,R,L
G,N,T,R,L
T,N,G,R,L
N,T,G,R,L
G,T,N,R,L
T,G,N,R,L
T,R,N,G,L
R,T,N,G,L
N,T,R,G,L
T,N,R,G,L
R,N,T,G,L
N,R,T,G,L
G,R,T,N,L
R,G,T,N,L
T,G,R,N,L
G,T,R,N,L
R,T,G,N,L
T,R,G,N,L
L,R,G,N,T
R,L,G,N,T
G,L,R,N,T
L,G,R,N,T
R,G,L,N,T
G,R,L,N,T
G,R,N,L,T
R,G,N,L,T
N,G,R,L,T
G,N,R,L,T
R,N,G,L,T
N,R,G,L,T
N,L,G,R,T
L,N,G,R,T
G,N,L,R,T
N,G,L,R,T
L,G,N,R,T
G,L,N,R,T
R,L,N,G,T
L,R,N,G,T
N,R,L,G,T
R,N,L,G,T
L,N,R,G,T
N,L,R,G,T
T,L,R,G,N
L,T,R,G,N
R,T,L,G,N
T,R,L,G,N
L,R,T,G,N
R,L,T,G,N
R,L,G,T,N
L,R,G,T,N
G,R,L,T,N
R,G,L,T,N
L,G,R,T,N
G,L,R,T,N
G,T,R,L,N
T,G,R,L,N
R,G,T,L,N
G,R,T,L,N
T,R,G,L,N
R,T,G,L,N
L,T,G,R,N
T,L,G,R,N
G,L,T,R,N
L,G,T,R,N
T,G,L,R,N
G,T,L,R,N
N,T,L,R,G
T,N,L,R,G
L,N,T,R,G
N,L,T,R,G
T,L,N,R,G
L,T,N,R,G
L,T,R,N,G
T,L,R,N,G
R,L,T,N,G
L,R,T,N,G
T,R,L,N,G
R,T,L,N,G
R,N,L,T,G
N,R,L,T,G
L,R,N,T,G
R,L,N,T,G
N,L,R,T,G
L,N,R,T,G
T,N,R,L,G
N,T,R,L,G
R,T,N,L,G
T,R,N,L,G
N,R,T,L,G
R,N,T,L,G
G,N,T,L,R
N,G,T,L,R
T,G,N,L,R
G,T,N,L,R
N,T,G,L,R
T,N,G,L,R
T,N,L,G,R
N,T,L,G,R
L,T,N,G,R
T,L,N,G,R
N,L,T,G,R
L,N,T,G,R
L,G,T,N,R
G,L,T,N,R
T,L,G,N,R
L,T,G,N,R
G,T,L,N,R
T,G,L,N,R
N,G,L,T,R
G,N,L,T,R
L,N,G,T,R
N,L,G,T,R
G,L,N,T,R
L,G,N,T,R

This is going to take a while...

8 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

But what have Rats, Teacups and Storms got to do with anything?

[On a serious note hope your all ok]

That sounds like something out of Alice in Wonderland..... lmao.... :D

We're fine.... it's just when the storms pop up they tend to play havoc with the power, so it's best to just shut everything down and wait until they go by. But it wasted an entire morning... bleh.... :P

On 7/7/2017 at 11:16 AM, KAL 9000 said:

Alright, let me take a crack at this. 

The message contains only five letters. Frequency analysis gives us ~27.78% N, ~27.78% G, ~20.37% R, ~16.67% T, ~7.41% L. Maybe let's switch to a different tactic. 

Five letters only indicates that it could be a variant of the ADFGX cipher. We'll need to arrange an ADFGX table, with RGNTL (not necessarily in that order) replacing the ADFGX. However, there are 120 (5!) possible arrangements of the characters RGNTL. Brute-force attack it is... 

The possible permutations are: 

Reveal hidden contents
R,G,N,T,L
G,R,N,T,L
N,R,G,T,L
R,N,G,T,L
G,N,R,T,L
N,G,R,T,L
N,G,T,R,L
G,N,T,R,L
T,N,G,R,L
N,T,G,R,L
G,T,N,R,L
T,G,N,R,L
T,R,N,G,L
R,T,N,G,L
N,T,R,G,L
T,N,R,G,L
R,N,T,G,L
N,R,T,G,L
G,R,T,N,L
R,G,T,N,L
T,G,R,N,L
G,T,R,N,L
R,T,G,N,L
T,R,G,N,L
L,R,G,N,T
R,L,G,N,T
G,L,R,N,T
L,G,R,N,T
R,G,L,N,T
G,R,L,N,T
G,R,N,L,T
R,G,N,L,T
N,G,R,L,T
G,N,R,L,T
R,N,G,L,T
N,R,G,L,T
N,L,G,R,T
L,N,G,R,T
G,N,L,R,T
N,G,L,R,T
L,G,N,R,T
G,L,N,R,T
R,L,N,G,T
L,R,N,G,T
N,R,L,G,T
R,N,L,G,T
L,N,R,G,T
N,L,R,G,T
T,L,R,G,N
L,T,R,G,N
R,T,L,G,N
T,R,L,G,N
L,R,T,G,N
R,L,T,G,N
R,L,G,T,N
L,R,G,T,N
G,R,L,T,N
R,G,L,T,N
L,G,R,T,N
G,L,R,T,N
G,T,R,L,N
T,G,R,L,N
R,G,T,L,N
G,R,T,L,N
T,R,G,L,N
R,T,G,L,N
L,T,G,R,N
T,L,G,R,N
G,L,T,R,N
L,G,T,R,N
T,G,L,R,N
G,T,L,R,N
N,T,L,R,G
T,N,L,R,G
L,N,T,R,G
N,L,T,R,G
T,L,N,R,G
L,T,N,R,G
L,T,R,N,G
T,L,R,N,G
R,L,T,N,G
L,R,T,N,G
T,R,L,N,G
R,T,L,N,G
R,N,L,T,G
N,R,L,T,G
L,R,N,T,G
R,L,N,T,G
N,L,R,T,G
L,N,R,T,G
T,N,R,L,G
N,T,R,L,G
R,T,N,L,G
T,R,N,L,G
N,R,T,L,G
R,N,T,L,G
G,N,T,L,R
N,G,T,L,R
T,G,N,L,R
G,T,N,L,R
N,T,G,L,R
T,N,G,L,R
T,N,L,G,R
N,T,L,G,R
L,T,N,G,R
T,L,N,G,R
N,L,T,G,R
L,N,T,G,R
L,G,T,N,R
G,L,T,N,R
T,L,G,N,R
L,T,G,N,R
G,T,L,N,R
T,G,L,N,R
N,G,L,T,R
G,N,L,T,R
L,N,G,T,R
N,L,G,T,R
G,L,N,T,R
L,G,N,T,R

This is going to take a while...

How about a frequency count of each pair of letters?

On 7/8/2017 at 5:50 PM, qzgy said:

How about a frequency count of each pair of letters?

Hey, good idea! 

That gives us: 

NN: 14.81% 
GT: 11.11% 
GR: 11.11% 
GN: 11.11% 
NG: 7.41% 
RR: 7.41% 
RG: 7.41% 
RT: 7.41% 
TT: 3.7% 
LN: 3.7% 
TN: 3.7% 
LG: 3.7% 
TG: 3.7% 
LL: 3.7% 

Unfortunately, that's not enough data to allow a complete decryption via frequency analysis alone, but offers a tantalizing glimpse: NN, the most common pair in the cipher, has a good probability of coding for the most common letter in the English language, E! Their statistics even match, give or take a few percent.  

The message is now RG TG E RT E NG GR GN GT LG RR LL E NG GR TN GN RR TT RG LN GT GT GN GR E RT. 

One letter (possibly) down, many more to go... I'll keep you guys posted. 

A'GG IP WBTLRAKE YMU!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.