Spacecraft "Friday", 12/19/15, The "I Can Do It After All!" Edition

pTrevTrevs

nkFh2EJ.png

Hehe... Yeah... I was going to do this last night, but I had to put up Christmas decorations... Then I had to cook dinner... Then I had to go into town and buy some milk... Then I had to- well, you get the idea.

Well, I'm finally getting around to it, at least it isn't the latest edition of SCF! 

Just like last time, I've chosen five craft that I believe are the best and most creative posts to the Spacecraft Exchange and ranked them. If your craft didn't make it, don't worry, this is only my opinion, it is not official in any way, and SCF goes up every week, so you'll always have another chance!

In fact, I have a disclaimer to further reinforce this:

Who are you to decide this, I hear you asking, and here's the answer: No one. I am not official in any way, shape, or form. If you're unhappy with my decision, we can work something out. This is just my opinion, since there's no objective way to judge "Quality" of crafts.

If anyone feels that their craft is missed because of any kind of time-zone difference, or any kind of difference in when spacecraft fridays is put up, tell me.

If your craft is really good and was made before, and someone posts in it within that week, then it will be considered. Just to clarify, I am not encouraging necros for the sake of bumping your craft

Did that work? I'm still trying to figure out this new forum...

Alright, on to the craft!

5: ACME Mark II, By Matagorda Space Program

front_ACME%20Mark%20I_3_zpszlxjvmbc.png

Well, it may not be the most spectacular rocket on the forums, but it still deserves a spot on this list because of its purpose. Although it may look like it should fly, this thing actually drives across the ground at super-high speeds to (attempt to) catch roadrunners! This is a good reminder of just how far outside the box you can think in Kerbal Space Program!

4: The Astraeus Orbiter, By Avera9eJoe

Roll complete, aligning navball.

I know what you're thinking, "What? It's just a shuttle, what is it doing on here?" Well, I like it, so it gets the #4 spot. I quite like the custom cockpit, and the addition of Rapier engines on the back is a very good idea. There are many smaller, less visible things I like about it too, like the radiators in the payload bay and the little pod on the end of the tailfin. Very nice work.

3: ...a little stocking filler from Cupcake Landers, By Cupcake...

c3UPZxb.jpg

Ah, Cupcake... He was one of the people whose YouTube videos got me interested in KSP in the first place! This little flyer he's made is pretty neat. Who knew the service bay would make such a good cockpit? I must admit, I rarely download craft I see on the Forums, but I might just have to try this one out!

2: V2 Rocket Replica, By, Bubbadevlin
I hope I spelled his name right...

qL0VyUo.jpg

Look at this! Look at THIS!! It's a V2 with a proper paint job! And it's stock! That's crazy! Magnificent job, that's all I can say. Here, have the #2 spot on my list!

1: Look inside the spoiler!

Spoiler

1: Lunar Landing Research Vehicle, By Majorjim

mrZHANF.png

It was a tough fight for the #1 spot, but this craft came out on top. This is a rebuild of Majorjim's original LLRV from back in the day, and looks just like the real thing. His use of struts and thermometers to create the frame is absolutely stunning. It features many characteristics of the real LLRV, like a functioning ejector seat, and being a complete deathtrap to inexperienced pilots. I like building my own sort of LLRVs in KSP, so I think I'm gong to have fun with this one. 

Well, I that's about it. If you have any problems with the craft chosen or their arrangement, please feel free to let me know.

Again, sorry for being so late, but sometimes life gets in the way! :)

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Oops, forgot the link to #2

I am not trying to be offensive to anyone here. But I have been pretty disappointed not by the craft and designers chosen this last month for spacecraft fridays but the sheer lack of things that really blow your minds away. I have not really seen any of that type of stuff on the forums since the move to this new platform. Some legends have just disappeared all together. I was starting work for my own forums YouTube showcase series and found a lack of craft to actually do anything exciting with. Anyone who reads this. Make something insane so the spacecraft exchange can truly be awesome again!

Edited by Jon144

Just now, Jon144 said:

I am not trying to be offensive to anyone here. But I have been pretty disappointed not by the craft and designers chosen this last month for spacecraft fridays but the sheer lack of things that really blow your minds away. I have not really seen any of that type of stuff on the forums since the move to this new platform. Some legends have just disappeared all together. I was starting work for my own forums YouTube showcase series and found a lack of craft to actually do anything exciting with. Anyone who reads this. Make something insane so the spacecraft exchange can truly be awesome again!

Any new craft from your good self? And I don't think we lost anyone significant in the transfer.

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Any new craft from your good self? And I don't think we lost anyone significant in the transfer.

I've got some cool stuff in the making. But for some reason 1.0.5 is really making things hard on me. And I have been really busy these last months :( Don't get your hopes up on me releasing anything big. But of course I will have some Christmas / New Years goodies. 

If the spacecraft exchange picks up soon I might work more on my series. 

Edited by Jon144

2 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and sometimes I feel the same way.

Fear not, I shall end this!

Wow, it's getting HARD to be featured here! Congrats to the featured, nice selection as always.

Rune. I thought for sure I had a decent chance of getting mentioned this time around.

Edited by Rune

23 hours ago, Jon144 said:

I think what I'm working on will blow your mind...

I've been working on this for about 4-5 months across many versions, with help from JetEngineStar on the wings (thanks man). It has 32 Goliath jet engines and weighs around 600t from memory. I think it is the largest flying machine ever built in KSP that uses wings and lift to carry it through the sky instead of rockets. It has just over 600 parts and carries 550 kerbals. Still working out the kinks, like landing....

25DzB.png

For size comparison with the KSC:

25DzA.png

25DzC.png

Unfortunately, it must have Un-breakable joints turned on, as it falls apart on the runway. 

Will release soon so let me know what you think!

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Edited by YargJay9991

Don't worry, I have something to release this week that will change the way you think about rockets and shuttles. It's all done and tested and everything, just have to make up the flash graphics for the presentation.

Can't you do it yourself? Some people here (like me) may not be as talented as the "big names" of the Spacecraft Exchange, unfortunately.

Damn you pTrevTrevs, it's been released here Sunday! :wink:

Great choices, i didn't notice many of these despite their remarkability.

3 hours ago, Columbia said:

Can't you do it yourself? Some people here (like me) may not be as talented as the "big names" of the Spacecraft Exchange, unfortunately.

Damn you pTrevTrevs, it's been released here Sunday! :wink:

Great choices, i didn't notice many of these despite their remarkability.

• I would also not consider myself a "big name", but I have definitely made something "revolutionary" (Shameless plug). If you rely on the really well known people to make cool stuff for you, then the Spacecraft Exchange would likely devolve into a system in  which about 10% of the people make 90% of the craft. That's never good, it discourages creativity and creates intimidation. If you don't like something, change it. Be an inspiration for others, but not a god.

• Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a time lord! To be honest, I thought I wasn't going to be able to get this out at all! Besides, previous editions have been released ever later.

• Yeah, I had to dig through the second and third pages to find enough craft to meet my self appointed quota of five. Don't get the wrong idea, none of these craft were picked just to fill a spot, I like them all.

21 hours ago, YargJay9991 said:

I think what I'm working on will blow your mind...

I've been working on this for about 4-5 months across many versions, with help from JetEngineStar on the wings (thanks man). It has 32 Goliath jet engines and weighs around 600t from memory. I think it is the largest flying machine ever built in KSP that uses wings and lift to carry it through the sky instead of rockets. It has just over 600 parts and carries 550 kerbals. Still working out the kinks, like landing....

Unfortunately, it must have Un-breakable joints turned on, as it falls apart on the runway. 

Will release soon so let me know what you think!

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Yes this is certainly insane! When in doubt add more struts I guess. Too bad that KSP is really killing the FPS in this version with larger part ships.

Keep thinking outside the box ;)

Update: (And Spoiler) In the holiday spirit I will be renovating one of my old classics! Hype!

Edited by Jon144

2 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Yes this is certainly insane! When in doubt add more struts I guess. Too bad that KSP is really killing the FPS in this version with larger part ships.

Keep thinking outside the box ;)

Update: (And Spoiler) In the holiday spirit I will be renovating one of my old classics! Hype!

Thanks man!

Yep, moar struts... However because of the horrible connection strength of Mk3 parts, having to add enough struts to hold it together would almost double the part count...  If it's part of the game, it's not cheating! :P That's what I say at least.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.