nightingale

[1.5.x] Strategia [v1.7.3] [2018-12-12]

Recommended Posts

Great mod mate. I've really been enjoying it. My favorite strategy is the heavy rocketry strategia that compensates for building huge rockets (which otherwise are neglected in stock career.)

 

I am almost completely out of money in my career mode. I need to take a bailout as in the original stock administration building allows you to. But I can't because the stock administration plans are disabled.

 

Is there a way to reenable the stock plans and use your mod at the same time? I'd like to have the options for both (if atleast just for bailouts) Are there any other options when you run out of money besides taking a bailout from the administration building?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maltman said:

Great mod mate. I've really been enjoying it. My favorite strategy is the heavy rocketry strategia that compensates for building huge rockets (which otherwise are neglected in stock career.)

 

I am almost completely out of money in my career mode. I need to take a bailout as in the original stock administration building allows you to. But I can't because the stock administration plans are disabled.

 

Is there a way to reenable the stock plans and use your mod at the same time? I'd like to have the options for both (if atleast just for bailouts) Are there any other options when you run out of money besides taking a bailout from the administration building?

You can erase the Module Manager file that disable the stock strategies (GameData/Strategia/StockStrategyDisabler.cfg).  You might be able to write a Module Manager config to stop them from working, but that's just too much Module Manager for me.

To Boldly Go and the program strategies are the main money-makers.  I didn't want the instant strategies as being able to to just change one currency to another isn't the gameplay I was looking for.  However, Strategia doesn't really give a better option here, other than failing.  But hey, like they say over in Dwarf Fortress, failing is fun, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a problem with 'To Boldy Go'? I never seem to get the extra funds when transmitting science from a biome I haven't trasmitted any science from before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gerishnakov said:

Is there a problem with 'To Boldy Go'? I never seem to get the extra funds when transmitting science from a biome I haven't trasmitted any science from before.

Nothing that I am aware of. Can you post a log from when you expected to get the bonus, and a save file from before and after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For massive scale launches, does it count the launch weight or the weight in orbit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dlrk said:

For massive scale launches, does it count the launch weight or the weight in orbit?

Weight in orbit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just figured out that your "To boldly go" Strategy (or at least the first level) doesn't work, if you set the Science rewards slider during the creation of the Career save below 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smu said:

I just figured out that your "To boldly go" Strategy (or at least the first level) doesn't work, if you set the Science rewards slider during the creation of the Career save below 100%

Good catch, fixed that for the next release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    I found a bug, when you land on the mun manned, for the manned mission without making orbit around the mun, you then are unable to do the unmanned mission, which claims  you did in fact orbit the mun. Even though you didn't.

 

    It is kind of disappointing since the income is completely lost as well as the reputation.

I didn't even do a real flyby, I approached the mun on a suborbital trajectory.

Edited by Electr0ninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Electr0ninja said:

    I found a bug, when you land on the mun manned, for the manned mission without making orbit around the mun, you then are unable to do the unmanned mission, which claims  you did in fact orbit the mun. Even though you didn't.

 

    It is kind of disappointing since the income is completely lost as well as the reputation.

I didn't even do a real flyby, I approached the mun on a suborbital trajectory.

Not really a bug, since the intention was to not offer the Mun probes if you've done a manned mission to the Mun.  It checks for orbit over fly-by because I didn't want it to trigger off passing the Mun on the way to Minmus.

So I'm surprised that it still stopped you - maybe you went orbital on the way back from Mun?  Either way, if I make any change it'll be to make the requirements more clear (probably change it to Orbit or Land on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can run another test if you like to see if it triggers once more if you want. But I am sure you will figure something out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few probes en route to other bodies (Duna and Eve for example). Strategy "Duna Probes" was unavailable as expected; however, "Eve Probes" was an option, which I took, despite it saying "have no vessels en route". It doesn't seem to register my probe as "en route" (as the text is in green, not red), despite having an encounter with Eve. Not sure if I can provide any logs or anything, since I didn't see any errors. The probes are actually clones of each other, so there shouldn't be any issue recognizing parts.

---

Also, is there anyway to cut down on the "Local Science Boost" spam or it's persistence? Kerbal Environmental Institute is a new mod which basically vacuums up all local KSC science for a fee. But it triggers Local Science boost. That continual roll of "+ 0.3 Local Science" etc follows you to every scene, from KSC, to the flight scene, to the main menu, to the editor. Everywhere. It wasn't noticeable when it was a few at a time, but when you're getting dozens or hundreds (that last for tens of minutes).... Maybe have it show up as one lump sum? Or at least not follow you between scenes.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I have a few probes en route to other bodies (Duna and Eve for example). Strategy "Duna Probes" was unavailable as expected; however, "Eve Probes" was an option, which I took, despite it saying "have no vessels en route". It doesn't seem to register my probe as "en route" (as the text is in green, not red), despite having an encounter with Eve. Not sure if I can provide any logs or anything, since I didn't see any errors. The probes are actually clones of each other, so there shouldn't be any issue recognizing parts.

I'd need to see a save file, and know which vessel is the one en-route (I'll copy the orbit info from that vessel to see what's up).

7 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Also, is there anyway to cut down on the "Local Science Boost" spam or it's persistence? Kerbal Environmental Institute is a new mod which basically vacuums up all local KSC science for a fee. But it triggers Local Science boost. That continual roll of "+ 0.3 Local Science" etc follows you to every scene, from KSC, to the flight scene, to the main menu, to the editor. Everywhere. It wasn't noticeable when it was a few at a time, but when you're getting dozens or hundreds (that last for tens of minutes).... Maybe have it show up as one lump sum? Or at least not follow you between scenes.

Heh, I don't know if I can easily do a lump sum, but at a minimum I can stop it when you change scenes.  Raised #46.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does it have to be the persistence file or would a quick save work? I suppose I could load a quick save which changes the persistence file, yeah? I've already hit Eve (almost literally) and am at Gilly. Not the end of the world either way.

----

Regarding Issue #46: As long as it doesn't follow me around, I'll be content. I know a number of people brought up the issue in the KEI thread; I guess I'm the first to mention it here. The author already changed his mod a bit so it doesn't trigger it as much, but I figured raise the issue anyway. Below is the thread if you're curious.

Cheers.

An alternative solution (which I might get beaten up for suggesting) is to have your mod not apply boosts at all to science gathered autonomously (since the premise is it's being outsourced), but that's probably something to discuss with @RealGecko.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

does it have to be the persistence file or would a quick save work? I suppose I could load a quick save which changes the persistence file, yeah? I've already hit Eve (almost literally) and am at Gilly. Not the end of the world either way

Yup, quicksave is the same format, so that will work too.

9 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

An alternative solution (which I might get beaten up for suggesting) is to have your mod not apply boosts at all to science gathered autonomously (since the premise is it's being outsourced), but that's probably something to discuss with @RealGecko.

There's likely no way for me to tell the difference between science from KEI and gathered the normal way - as far as the events it fires are concerned, it's going to be the same reason code either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to use the message system and give us a notification of science gained through use of things like Local Science, it flashes up on the screen, but is hard to know exactly how much was given.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Would it be possible to use the message system and give us a notification of science gained through use of things like Local Science, it flashes up on the screen, but is hard to know exactly how much was given.  

I don't because the science bonuses that you get from Local Science should be shown elsewhere (eg. the recovery dialog).  In the case of Kerbal Environment Institute, it probably doesn't show the bonuses unless it does some fancy "reverse engineering" stuff like is done in the vessel recovery dialog (but I'm not 100% sure, been a while since I've dug into this stuff, what I remember for sure is that it's more complicated than it needs to be).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I did not know that the local science bonus was included in the recovery dialogue.  It would really only be helpful for science transmissions them, which would be a whole other mod, generating a message for every successful science transmission, would be helpful to me for my data tracking, but probably not anyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, eberkain said:

Ok, I did not know that the local science bonus was included in the recovery dialogue.  It would really only be helpful for science transmissions them, which would be a whole other mod, generating a message for every successful science transmission, would be helpful to me for my data tracking, but probably not anyone else. 

Nope, I'm wrong - the recovery dialog doesn't show the extra science (I swear it used to, or maybe I'm thinking of Funds).  I don't want to get too spammy with the messages, but if it's just one big one that tallies it up it may not be too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to develop custom stratagies?  I'm thinking of something like a Goverment Funding strategy, where you get a set amount of money each month (maybe increasing over time), but the contract rewards are much less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm enjoying this in an RSS career, and I've now completed probe missions to Mars, Venus, and (after many tries) Mercury.  The next logical step for probes would seem to be Jupiter's moons, but the only probe strategy is for Jupiter itself.  The strategy further requires probes to land on Jupiter, which is going to be extremely difficult for a gas giant.  Is there any way for Strategia to detect which planets are gas giants, then apply something like the Jool V special strategy to send you to that planet's moons instead?  If it's too difficult, don't worry about it - I still haven't sent Kerbals any further than the Moon, so Mars and Venus will keep them occupied for quite a while. 

Edited by Norcalplanner
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is it possible to develop custom stratagies?  I'm thinking of something like a Goverment Funding strategy, where you get a set amount of money each month (maybe increasing over time), but the contract rewards are much less

When initially developing Strategia, I debated on how extensible I would make it.  I considered going as far as making it the "Contract Configurator" of Strategies - but I just couldn't justify the significant time investment it would take.  But the answer is still yes - to a degree.  Nothing that you would need to develop custom strategies is documented, and at a minimum you need to create a class that inherits from KSP.Strategy or Strategia.StrategiaStrategy (I wasn't able to make a code-free way to do that).

Or you can use it as an example and write your own from scratch (code is all MIT, so no worries there).  Free Ice Cream is conceptually close to what you want (and you may be able to do what you want using its config as an example, since I think they are currency agnostic.

5 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

So I'm enjoying this in an RSS career, and I've now completed probe missions to Mars, Venus, and (after many tries) Mercury.  The next logical step for probes would seem to be Jupiter's moons, but the only probe strategy is for Jupiter itself.  The strategy further requires probes to land on Jupiter, which is going to be extremely difficult for a gas giant.  Is there any way for Strategia to detect which planets are gas giants, then apply something like the Jool V special strategy to send you to that planet's moons instead?  If it's too difficult, don't worry about it - I still haven't sent Kerbals any further than the Moon, so Mars and Venus will keep them occupied for quite a while. 

Actually, it's supposed to work exactly like that!  There's a problem right now with the changes that made the gas giants oblate in RSS in that it makes them "seem" like rocky planets to me (and I have no way to tell that they aren't).  You'd probably have the possibility to get "Planet a flag on Jupiter" contracts from stock, the way it is right now.

There's no fix that I can do, aside from hardcoding based on planet names - but I've left it in the capable hands of @NathanKell and @Thomas to hopefully figure out a way to make this work in RSS/Kopernicus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, nightingale said:

I'll make some updates to make Strategia compatible with Research Bodies (should be easy, since I just did the same updates for Contract Configurator).  But, the only updates will be not to offer strategies that relate to bodies that are not yet offered.  So when you say it "conflicts", would that resolve the issue, or is there something more?

Hi @nightingale thought I would reply here.

 

Essentially what happened was this:

 

For my play through I'm running strategia, historic missions and multiple other mods (so many in fact I can't be certain that it was purely a conflict between Research bodies and Strategia - but uninstalling Research bodies stopped it!) I had just finished the Historic missions pack Sputnik-III contract, which put me over the rep required to activate the Munar probes strategy. I enacted Munar probes which, correctly activated the Strategia Munar probe landing contract. However, what happened next was bizzare. Contract configurator began auto closing, the offering and then auto closing the Munar probe contract at a rate of about three a second. Disabling the strategia contracts using contract configurator stopped the behaviour (obviously not ticked - no contracts) as did uninstalling Research bodies.

 

If it would be useful to you, I can create a test install of KSP and see if I can reproduce the error with just contract configurator, Research bodies and Strategia installed as well as the historic missions pack in a 'clean' environment if that would make your task any easier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.