ShotgunNinja

[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

Recommended Posts

Quick (hopefully) question, assuming this thread isn’t completely dead in favor of the new one (I’m still using the last version of Kerbalism for 1.2.2 is why).

Anyways, I’m trying to create a ridiculously OP active radiation shield. Because reasons. Just for my own game. I need to block like 125 rads. No, that is not a typo. Trying to dissect the included one isn’t working, as plugging in even huge numbers to the part config is only blocking  around 3 rad/hr.  Could someone fill me in on how that module works or what else I need to do? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CatastrophicFailure Check  // radiation settings in Kerbalism/Settings.cfg
My guess is you can massively buff shield efficiency there then nerf all the existing shield parts back to hell to compensate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

@CatastrophicFailure Check  // radiation settings in Kerbalism/Settings.cfg
My guess is you can massively buff shield efficiency there then nerf all the existing shield parts back to hell to compensate.

Any suggestions as to how? I tried upping   ShieldingEfficiency = 2   from 0.9, didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Any suggestions as to how?

I had assumed you could use a value > 1 and supercharge the shields by default. I guess it doesn't work like that here? :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I had assumed you could use a value > 1 and supercharge the shields by default. I guess it doesn't work like that here? :( 

Hold the phone... it seems my testing methodology may, in fact, have been... er, suspect. I kept checking a part on an existing craft in the VAB. Added a new part from the list, and now it's blocking like 36 thousand rad/h. :D And sucking juice at an alarming rate.

More testing required or possibly landing on the sun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just installed Kerbalism and I have a question about antennae.

As I understand I need a low-gain antenna for signal relaying, but... all low-gain antennae have very limited range and with Kerbin rotating my probes periodically lose signal.

I have two questions - so, with Kerbalism I have no way of providing constant long-range signal relaying?

And the second question is not really a question but a feature request about user interface - really, when my probe loses signal the time-warp stops unless I uncheck the correspondent checkbox in the config, but I really want it to be accessible at all times, not only at times when there is a communication link. After all, these alerts happen at tracking station so there should be a way to disable them without waiting till Kerbin rotates the right side to the probe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cicatrix said:

I've just installed Kerbalism and I have a question about antennae.

As I understand I need a low-gain antenna for signal relaying, but... all low-gain antennae have very limited range and with Kerbin rotating my probes periodically lose signal.

I have two questions - so, with Kerbalism I have no way of providing constant long-range signal relaying?

And the second question is not really a question but a feature request about user interface - really, when my probe loses signal the time-warp stops unless I uncheck the correspondent checkbox in the config, but I really want it to be accessible at all times, not only at times when there is a communication link. After all, these alerts happen at tracking station so there should be a way to disable them without waiting till Kerbin rotates the right side to the probe.

I think you are using the newer Kerbalism being run by @N70, since you are losing signal over Kerbin which doesn't happen in the version from @ShotgunNinja. The proper thread for that is here

But to at least answer the relay question - Kerbalism is designed to operate much like the Deep Space Network - high gain dishes connect directly to Kerbin but low-gain probes can talk to each other in orbit around the same planet. So you're not supposed to be setting up huge relay networks like you would do with CommNet or RemoteTech - every probe you launch should be able to connect directly to Kerbin via a high-gain dish. If the probe is heading to a planet with other probes, a low-gain antenna can be used to talk to those probes (much like the various Mars orbiters relay data between each other before one of them beams it back to Earth). Low-gain can also be used by itself for probes in orbit around Kerbin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway I can disable CO2 poisoning in the config? My kerbals are dying from invisible CO2 levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lextacy said:

Anyway I can disable CO2 poisoning in the config? My kerbals are dying from invisible CO2 levels. 

You can in Profile/Default.cfg, but you should just bring a scrubber and the EC to run it.  Use the planner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Kerbalism affecting the contracts that I get? ... the problem I have is, that almost all of my "put a satellite in orbit" at the beginning of my carrer want that I put it into an orbit higher than the mun... is this normal? Or is this ... some sort of bug? ... I'm not saying it's related to Kerbalism... I'm just asking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Is Kerbalism affecting the contracts that I get? ... the problem I have is, that almost all of my "put a satellite in orbit" at the beginning of my carrer want that I put it into an orbit higher than the mun... is this normal? Or is this ... some sort of bug? ... I'm not saying it's related to Kerbalism... I'm just asking

Potentially, bit unlikely with satellite contracts.  More likely a stock variable regarding contracts. Kerbalism adds 'kerbal days in orbit' sort of thing.  AFAIK.

Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can I reset Goo and Materials Bay with Kerbalism? I have two kerbals in mobile science lab, one of them is a level 2 scientist, but "Reset experiments" do not exist in menu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tarkhil said:

How can I reset Goo and Materials Bay with Kerbalism? I have two kerbals in mobile science lab, one of them is a level 2 scientist, but "Reset experiments" do not exist in menu

The stock lab module gets replaced with the Kerbalism lab, so it doesn't have that.  You have to do resets the standard way of EVA'ing and right-click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lordcirth said:

The stock lab module gets replaced with the Kerbalism lab, so it doesn't have that.  You have to do resets the standard way of EVA'ing and right-click.

That's bad. Can the default behavior be restored? EVA on each reset is a bit boring..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How, exactly, does humidity work? My kerbals are dying whenever they go on 3+ day journeys. Does it have something to do with water on the ship? How do I stop it from killing everyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, joacobanfield said:

How, exactly, does humidity work? My kerbals are dying whenever they go on 3+ day journeys. Does it have something to do with water on the ship? How do I stop it from killing everyone?

There is a new part "External ECLSS Module" which can be configured as a humidity controler. You may need to unlock the part in the techtree, it is located in the 'space exploration' node (afaik this will be changed in the next update). The part shares the model with the chemical plant.

 

Don't know if there is another possibility, haven't had the time to take a closer look at the update and I still need to return several Kerbals to Kerbin before I can load the update into my career game^^

Oh, and you may want to ask questions in the new kerbalism thread, since the maintainer has changed ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I keep the moist atmosphere low?
I love kerbalism but this  its really what kills my kerbals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured out my humidity issues!

You have to configure which life support units you want in individual pods. 

When you right click on a pod it will say 'Configure Pod' which lets you choose 2 of 4 options, "Scrubber, Pressure Control, Humidity Control and Water Recycler"

When you unlock the external ECLSS part you can also choose these options so you can have all four. Still testing so I don't know if you can have a ship with two and two and if it will work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Asclepia said:

I figured out my humidity issues!

You have to configure which life support units you want in individual pods. 

When you right click on a pod it will say 'Configure Pod' which lets you choose 2 of 4 options, "Scrubber, Pressure Control, Humidity Control and Water Recycler"

When you unlock the external ECLSS part you can also choose these options so you can have all four. Still testing so I don't know if you can have a ship with two and two and if it will work. 

Thanks! Still, I find it confusing that it shows all 4 are "running" even though you didn't configure the other 2 in VAB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every single image file in kerbalism is refusing to load, so every place related to the mod where an image should be is blank. Is anyone else having this issue?

Edited by killbotvii
wrong thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, killbotvii said:

Every single image file in kerbalism is refusing to load, so every place related to the mod where an image should be is blank. Is anyone else having this issue?

Which KSP and which mod version? The Kerbalism version in this thread is just for KSP 1.3.0. If you are running anything above, you should look into this thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, my bad! I should post this in that thread instead. I'm running the latest version of the game and mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this mod is no longer supported? We can re-open the thread if OP wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.