Was there an update that swapped 64-bit back to non-default?

jpinard

Or did I mess up my game?  I deleted all the mods I installed manually, then installed CKAN to have that manage my mods, went to load up game and now it asks on launch if I want to run default or 64bit exe.  I haven't played in 36 hours but last time I did, 64-bit exe was default and the 32-bit exe was the alternate,

<<edit>> Steam version.  I need to know if I have to reinstall my game :( - would someone just load up KSP and see if it's same for you?

Edited by jpinard

Didnt know 32 bit was stillan option... I use it from steam and its 64 bit default for me. My only issue is a gigantic nav ball...cant reduce its size with out shrinking the entire ui to painfully small text sizes. Swear prior versions had a toggle for the nav ball. Asked this over in gameplay but no ones andwered it ;.; 

3 hours ago, sardia said:

Hmmm, I noticed the same thing. Does it crash if you play the 32bit version by accident? Mine crashed 4 times before I noticed the change.

Why would they change that?  *confused*

yup, for whatever obscure reason someone decided to revert to having 32 bit as the default. IMO there shouldn't even be a 32 bit, anyone with a computer from the last decade or so should have a 64 bit operating system and anyone who has an older computer won't be able to run KSP at acceptable performance anyway.

Silent update? Please!? Is this to be expected around here??

Many players copy their KSP out of the steam folders etc, would be nice if there was some transparency on updates.

How many digits has that built number again? :confused: And if its still not enough just add another digit, but no silent updates please, thats unacceptable in my opinion

Pre-release beta starts in 32 bit by default, latest version 1.1.0.1228

Release version is 1.1.0.1230 and is supposed to start 64 bit by default ... what the ... looks like it does start the 32 bit version for me as well. But I don't think that Squad has anything to do with it.

Oh, and I had Steam check the integrity of the game cache: it reacquired 2 files but nothing has changed, still 32 instead of 64. At least the option to start KSPx64 is available so I don't have to mess around with the files.

I'll check my Steam logs and see if I find anything.

Edited by SunburstMoon

1 hour ago, jwenting said:

yup, for whatever obscure reason someone decided to revert to having 32 bit as the default. IMO there shouldn't even be a 32 bit, anyone with a computer from the last decade or so should have a 64 bit operating system and anyone who has an older computer won't be able to run KSP at acceptable performance anyway.

I still find it strange that Unity was ever 32bit.  What year is it, anyway?

6 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Probably stop assuming Squad has anything to do with Steam maybe.

How about we stop using Unity and Steam as excuses for Squad?  Consumers should not be expected to care about how the sausage was made.  Only how the sausage tastes.

16 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Probably stop assuming Squad has anything to do with Steam maybe.

Squad determines what settings Steam applies for the game...

And yes, they changed it for whatever reason.

And oh, there is nothing in the Steam "update history" to show 1.1, 1.0.5, or any other update ever happened...

1 minute ago, jwenting said:

Citation needed.

And, yeah, no updates happened. I'm sorry the defaults changed, but at least you know where to open a support issue now.

23 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

How about we stop using Unity and Steam as excuses for Squad?  Consumers should not be expected to care about how the sausage was made.  Only how the sausage tastes.

Calm down, man. The window with the prompt is clearly a Steam window. It's the same sort of thing that DasValdez had to restart Steam for in the release party stream. That info comes from the steam package itself, and wouldn't require a build change.

One thing to check would be your Downloads page for the last time KSP was pushed to you. That would tell you if there was an actual update to game files in the time frame you're concerned about, or if it was only the Steam database entry.

Edited by pincushionman

Ummm, this is a Steam issue and is not from Squad

13 minutes ago, jwenting said:

And yes, they changed it for whatever reason.

Citation requested

Although I can tell you now you will find that Steam (Valve) determines what settings Steam applies to the game

1 hour ago, jwenting said:

that's because there is no 32 bit Mac version

Good, since that's the ONLY version of KSP available through 1.05, the last 32-bit version of OS X itself was 10.6 back in 2009, and the last system built by Apple with 32-bit only processors was in 2007 or so. :P 

6 hours ago, SunburstMoon said:

Oh, and I had Steam check the integrity of the game cache: it reacquired 2 files but nothing has changed

You might wanna check your in-game settings, I bet those two files reverted them to default :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.