Devnote Tuesday: Many hands make light work!

SQUAD

56 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

So the "I got lucky!" mechanic? Please, don't do that.

It's more like of a "I have good technology" mechanic. We don't want to display hidden stuff all the time, so yeah, it's a chance. At higher tech levels it's quite a high chance though. It's also not the primary purpose of KerbNet, just a neat bonus.

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

Am I sensing a career overhaul?

I sense doubling down on the existing career mode lol.  I doubt they brought in the guy that makes all the contracts to replace the contract mechanic.

Edited by Alshain

13 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I sense doubling down on the existing career mode lol.  I doubt they brought in the guy that makes all the contracts to replace the contract mechanic.

He also made the Strategia mod. I wouldn't mind seeing that in place of the strategies we have now.

1 minute ago, Veeltch said:

He also made the Strategia mod. I wouldn't mind seeing that in place of the strategies we have now.

Yeah that's true, though I wouldn't call that a career overhaul though.  Given Sarbian and Nightingale at the same time however, I still suspect it has more to do with the scripting mods than anything in-game.

Though I suppose it really could be anything, we were at one time promised a graphical overhaul and I for one would love to see some variation of SmokeScreen/CoolRockets make it to stock.  I guess time will tell all.

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Yeah that's true, though I wouldn't call that a career overhaul though.

Maybe not, but a major improvement IMO, and a much much better one than any tweaks along the path we were seeing so far!

On 17/08/2016 at 9:53 AM, Curveball Anders said:

Not to mention that @Claw continues to update his Stock Bugfixes mod, while at the same time he's spending his working hours fixing bugs in the core game :)

On 17/08/2016 at 9:56 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

That's a particularly good synergy there, Claw can test fixes in his mod before integrating them into the core game.

So much love :~

2 hours ago, Arsonide said:

It's more like of a "I have good technology" mechanic. We don't want to display hidden stuff all the time, so yeah, it's a chance. At higher tech levels it's quite a high chance though. It's also not the primary purpose of KerbNet, just a neat bonus.

You know, I really don't understand what's KerbNet supposed to be or how it's got to do with finding stuff. So, there's an in-universe wiki with anomaly pages and a really bad search function, and which also routes probe controls?

Nice devnotes, I'm hyped for the new features, especially for Kerbnet, hibernation for probes and the garbage collection optimizations. But what about the elephant in the room? *points at elephant* I mean the rocket parts revamp. We haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I'm curious, is it still being worked on?

1 hour ago, monstah said:

You know, I really don't understand what's KerbNet supposed to be or how it's got to do with finding stuff. So, there's an in-universe wiki with anomaly pages and a really bad search function, and which also routes probe controls?

KerbNet has nothing to do with KSPedia. KerbNet is a probe and communication mapping program installed in all probes. KSPedia is the in-game wiki already there.

3 hours ago, Alshain said:

Seems like they would be a good candidate for having ideas on how to make the contract system more flexible and robust however.

I always considered the Tourist and satellite contracts to be quite realistic methods of funding a private space program.(presumably we should need to give up control of said satellites, but if you want that you can always delete them from the tracking station)

Sure the contract income is rather high, but not only is that adjustable, but was probably put that way on purpose to reduce grind.
(Imagine if you had to launch 20-30 commercial satellite missions to afford each of your non-contract launches) 

I think if you're going to honor Gus Grissom you should also honor the other Apollo I astronauts, Edward White and Roger Chaffee also lost their lives. But aside from that, all good things! 

17 minutes ago, Andem said:

I think if you're going to honor Gus Grissom you should also honor the other Apollo I astronauts, Edward White and Roger Chaffee also lost their lives. But aside from that, all good things! 

True, but I think all astronauts should be honored.

13 minutes ago, beelzerob said:

#allastronautsmatter ?

I'm not sure how to take that, but please consider this: while the astronauts who died all deserve high honors, what about the astronauts that continued on despite the deaths of their fellow astronauts? Are they any less brave for having not died? Are Lovell, Swigert and Haise any less brave for having survived their mission? What about the astronauts who flew the first shuttle flight after the Challenger disaster? Or the cosmonauts who continued to go to space after their comrades died? Or all astronauts who continue to go since the Columbia disaster?

I think we as a species focus a little to much on death and not enough on continuing on despite the loss.

3 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I'm not sure how to take that, but please consider this: while the astronauts who died all deserve high honors, what about the astronauts that continued on despite the deaths of their fellow astronauts? Are they any less brave for having not died? Are Lovell, Swigert and Haise any less brave for having survived their mission? What about the astronauts who flew the first shuttle flight after the Challenger disaster? Or the cosmonauts who continued to go to space after their comrades died? Or all astronauts who continue to go since the Columbia disaster?

I think we as a species focus a little to much on death and not enough on continuing on despite the loss.

Well, the point I was trying to make (not disagreeing with you at all) was that we shouldn't let anyone be forgotten. Michael Collins shouldn't be forgotten because He never stepped foot on the Moon, and Chaffee and White shouldn't be left out because Grissom is more well known. I doubt that that is at all the intention, as was the original Gus Kerman flavor text, but it's a meaning that could be derived. Either way, it's not a big deal, just something I figured was worth pointing out. ^_^

P.S.

I would love it if we honored every astronaut in game... That would be awesome!

13 minutes ago, taniwha said:

The ones who died weren't braver, just made a bigger sacrifice for spaceflight. I think that's why people focus on them.

@Andem You are assuming they are honoring him because he died.  You know he was also the first American to perform a spacewalk.

Not that it would hurt to honor many more Astronauts, but I thought that was what the Kerbal name list was for.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.