[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

On 28/09/2016 at 1:33 PM, Galileo said:

Finally got trees on Tellumo. Its still a pretty lonely place. It should probably be colonized.

bucyxhD.png
gGnLtPs.pngyyGdR4Y.pngNMzVMh3.pnglhe9llI.png

Also for any one who cares, Im planning on releasing a prerelease version soon.  I'm steady working on biomes.  The science defs don't NEED to be done right away as I'm sure ksp pulls from a generic pool if custom ones aren't present. I figure the faster I can get a version out there,  the faster things like science defs and other mod compatibility can happen. Hopefully this can happen over the weekend :) biomes are the priority right now.  @Poodmund if you have finished any recently let me know so I can pick up where you are. 

Just checking out threads that I haven't looked at in a while. CS:GO got the best of me XD.

By the way, I would be swearing my head off right now at how beautiful these screenshots are. By the way, I can always colonise Tellumo for you with my interpretation of the new SpaceX ITS. :D 

Also, kinda late but, get well soon! :) 

Edited by Duski

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

Wow, this made me feel young :P Have fun!

Yeah I'm 28 years young. Spent all of my adult life in the military so in my mind I'm still 20. :) 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Brownie352 said:

Hey i dont know someone has suggested that but definetely you should make a moon the size of gilly or smaller (2/3 sounds good ; ))) hope you like my idea : D

There are 26 planets in this pack.  I'm sure you will find one like that

The smallest body in this pack has a radius of 80 km, so there's nothing as small as Gilly.  In fact, Gilly, Pol, Minmus, and Bop are all smaller than this pack's smallest body.

(edit)  We changed one of the moons to 60 km, so that is now the smallest body.

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

The smallest body in this pack has a radius of 80 km, so there's nothing as small as Gilly.  In fact, Gilly, Pol, Minmus, and Bop are all smaller than this pack's smallest body.

For some reason I read tylo instead of gilly earlier.  Woops!  I did intend to add small asteroids but I am not great at making smaller bodies.  Maybe I'll try again later

Aww. I missed out when you were ill. :( I'm glad you're well again @Galileo. And I've never considered how small Minmus is until now.

@Duski Careful with Tellumo. I hear he's very clingy since he's so lonely. He might never let you go... :D

On that note, which would you all say is the ultimate planet to do anything with? Like Eve in stock. (Or will that be a secret too until the pre-releases start?)

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

On that note, which would you all say is the ultimate planet to do anything with? Like Eve in stock. (Or will that be a secret too until the pre-releases start?)

The only two bodies that jumped out as being really tough nuts to crack are Tellumo and Catullus.

Tellumo may be darn near impossible to get off of unless you can land on a mountain top.  My Eve Optimized Engines might help, but even those aren't designed for 10 atmospheres of pressure.  Tellumo's 1.9 g surface gravity is really difficult too, but in some measure that actually helps.  Because of the high gravity, the atmosphere has a really small scale height, which means the atmospheric pressure drops very rapidly with increasing altitude (i.e. the atmosphere is compressed into a really shallow envelope only 40 km deep).  By the time we reach an altitude of 4900 meters, the pressure has already dropped to just 2 atm.  And we only need to get above 40 km to establish an orbit.  So by selecting the right landing site, Tellumo may not be as impossible to get off of as it may first appear.

The problem with Catullus is in many ways just the opposite of Tellumo.  It has a surface pressure of 5 atm, but a surface gravity of only 0.9 g.  At first observation that doesn't look all that bad, after all, we can get off Eve having the same pressure and nearly twice the gravity.  The problem with Catullus is that it has a very large scale height, meaning its atmosphere thins out very slowly as we ascend (mainly because it has a low molecular weight hydrogen-helium atmosphere).  We have to climb all the way to 38 km before the pressure drops to one atmosphere; and overall the depth of the atmosphere is 280 km.  This creates a challenge unlike anything in the stock game.  It will probably take a very long and slow ascent, staying below terminal velocity for much of the way.  Designing the right launcher to do this could be interesting.

Edited by OhioBob

Designing the right launcher would be very interesting, yes. I'm imagining aerodynamic Tylo landers or winged Flacon 9's for Tellumo, and a textbook to be written on ShadowZone's Bubastis lander at Tekto, to address Catullus. I knew Tellumo was one if not the only ultimate challenge worlds (since Galileo explicitly said once that Tellumo surface trips are one-way), and I'd have suspected Catullus as well if I remembered that its atmosphere is really tall. Those extreme differences in atmosphere are amazing, to say the least.

Now if Scatterer drew atmospheres at different sizes in ScaledSpace, that'd be great. :rolleyes: I'd love the ability to see at first glance, all of the puffy might that are the skies of Eve, Catullus etc. But that's a suggestion for another thread.

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Now if Scatterer drew atmospheres at different sizes in ScaledSpace, that'd be great. :rolleyes: I'd love the ability to see at first glance, all of the puffy might that are the skies of Eve, Catullus etc. But that's a suggestion for another thread.

Well that can be done manually. And I can certainly try to accomplish that later.  For now,  I am settling for aesthetics :) if it looked good it passed the test 

Edited by Galileo

Really now? O.O Well that's what I had hoped for when I came up with this.

4oM1QRe.jpg

Unfortunately, I have to swear off of SVE :( just to keep my PC from crashing as frequently and corrupting other visual mods (and KER) again. But to improve on this, returning SVE and even adding SVT will be worth the crashes.

Well I'm pretty patient and I feel undeserving to have you mess with Scatterer just to grant my little wish.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Really now? O.O Well that's what I had hoped for when I came up with this.

4oM1QRe.jpg

Unfortunately, I have to swear off of SVE :( just to keep my PC from crashing as frequently and corrupting other visual mods (and KER) again. But to improve on this, returning SVE and even adding SVT will be worth the crashes.

Well I'm pretty patient and I feel undeserving to have you mess with Scatterer just to grant my little wish.

This planet pack will have svt by default. It will be a more performance friendly as I thinned out all of the scatter objects by roughly 75%.  Sve will be an optional mod though.  

Oh yeah!  Also with the work @OhioBob has done with atmosphere colors,  scatterer,  as much as I love it,  is pretty much not needed.  It seriously looks spectacular with and with out scatterer. So performance should go through the roof if you choose not to use it. Of course I can't live without my sun flares though lol

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Aww. I missed out when you were ill. :( I'm glad you're well again @Galileo. And I've never considered how small Minmus is until now.

@Duski Careful with Tellumo. I hear he's very clingy since he's so lonely. He might never let you go... :D

Eh, Tellumo will be my bae. :) 

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Designing the right launcher would be very interesting, yes. I'm imagining aerodynamic Tylo landers or winged Flacon 9's for Tellumo, and a textbook to be written on ShadowZone's Bubastis lander at Tekto, to address Catullus. I knew Tellumo was one if not the only ultimate challenge worlds (since Galileo explicitly said once that Tellumo surface trips are one-way), and I'd have suspected Catullus as well if I remembered that its atmosphere is really tall. Those extreme differences in atmosphere are amazing, to say the least.

Well, MOAR BOOSTERS!!

47 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This planet pack will have svt by default. It will be a more performance friendly as I thinned out all of the scatter objects by roughly 75%.  Sve will be an optional mod though.  

Oh yeah!  Also with the work @OhioBob has done with atmosphere colors,  scatterer,  as much as I love it,  is pretty much not needed.  It seriously looks spectacular with and with out scatterer. So performance should go through the roof if you choose not to use it. Of course I can't live without my sun flares though lol

Performance improvements? Count me in! In the mean time, need to figure out why my CPU is getting killed by KSP. Might have to go with the high resolution textures. :P 

2 minutes ago, Duski said:

Performance improvements? Count me in! In the mean time, need to figure out why my CPU is getting killed by KSP. Might have to go with the high resolution textures. :P 

What CPU are you working with? 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

What CPU are you working with

Well I got a intel core i5 6600K but I always get like 30-45FPS when flying into the ultra clouds. I tried downloading the intel extreme tuning utility but download didn't even work. :( 

Just now, Duski said:

Well I got a intel core i5 6600K but I always get like 30-45FPS when flying into the ultra clouds. I tried downloading the intel extreme tuning utility but download didn't even work. :( 

Thats about as good as it gets!  No need to deprive yourself of the highest resolutions! Once past the clouds it's super smooth sailing.  I have a i5 4690k and a 1070 and I get about 55fps in the clouds.  With my 980 I was averaging 30-45. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Thats about as good as it gets!  No need to deprive yourself of the highest resolutions! Once past the clouds it's super smooth sailing.  I have a i5 4690k and a 1070 and I get about 55fps in the clouds.  With my 980 I was averaging 30-45. 

So it's probably my graphics card then. But I still look in task manager and KSP is using 80% of my CPU. Maybe it is my graphics card as I do have a Asus Turbo 970.

3 minutes ago, Duski said:

So it's probably my graphics card then. But I still look in task manager and KSP is using 80% of my CPU. Maybe it is my graphics card as I do have a Asus Turbo 970.

The 970 isn't bad at all.  Your performance is actually pretty good as for the CPU I wouldn't worry about it as long as the game is running smoothly and it isn't overheating.  Just remember the more mods and parts, the more your CPU will be stressed.  

Just now, Galileo said:

The 970 isn't bad at all.  Your performance is actually pretty good as for the CPU I wouldn't worry about it as long as the game is running smoothly and it isn't overheating.  Just remember the more mods and parts, the more your CPU will be stressed.  

Well I better get start getting rid of some mods. :P

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Never!  If you have a ton of mods and still manage 30-45fps,  that's perfect!  A perfect medium. 

True but it's really like 45FPS when just getting out of the clouds and sometimes it can get as low as 15FPS.